SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Brilliant. Feel better now? Have you yet visited your local unemployment office? Have fun. I'm certain it was worth it...right?

Yeah

And, hey, no big deal, because as we all know, jewelry stores never have occasion to call the police. Razz

https://www.wxii12.com/article...-was-armed/27758725#

STATESVILLE, N.C. — The manager of a Kay Jewelers store in Statesville, who refused to allow an on-duty Iredell County Sheriff's Office deputy to enter the shop to pick up his engagement ring because he was armed is no longer with the company, the company announced Thursday afternoon.

The Sheriff's Office took to social media Wednesday after the store, located at 187 Turnersburg Highway, refused to allow the deputy to enter their business during his lunch break to pick up his engagement ring because he was armed.

The Sheriff's Office said it was "deeply saddened" by the situation that unfolded.

In a Facebook post, the Sheriff's Office, led by Sheriff Darren Campbell, said the uniformed deputy was notified that the engagement ring he had purchased for his upcoming wedding proposal had been sized and was ready for him to pick up at the store.

"The deputy took his meal break to pick up the ring and was met at the door by the store manager, who informed him he was not allowed to wear his service weapon while on their premises," the post reads.

Authorities said the deputy informed the manager he was in uniform and his marked patrol car was in the parking lot and it would be a violation of policy for him to remove his service weapon while in uniform.

The Sheriff's Office said the policy is in place for not only the safety of the deputy but the general public, as well.

The post further reported, "The manager stated our deputy would need to return to the store at a different time when he was not armed."

The Sheriff's Office said the deputy left the store without the ring he had purchased.

"The reaction our deputy encountered is very difficult for us to comprehend, and we earnestly hope situations such as these are few and are diminishing," the Sheriff's Office wrote in the post.

A company spokesperson for Kay Jewelers, David Bouffard, responded to the Sheriff's Office's post Wednesday, stating that the company is "reaching out to the customer and the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office to sincerely apologize for the mishandling of this matter."

The company further stated, "We have tremendous respect for law enforcement, and we thank the Office for bringing this to our attention. We will be sure to reinforce store training regarding our firearm policy with specific regard to uniformed law enforcement."

On Thursday, the jewelry store apologized again on social media about the incident and noted that the store manager is no longer with Kay Jewelers.

"Our policy is that any member of law enforcement is always welcomed in our store at any time, as a customer or in an official capacity," the post read.

It further stated, "We are reinforcing store training regarding all of our Customer First policies, as well as specific policies related to law enforcement, in all of our stores."

quote:
"The reaction our deputy encountered is very difficult for us to comprehend, and we earnestly hope situations such as these are few and are diminishing," the Sheriff's Office wrote in the post.
Actually, it's not at all hard to comprehend, when viewed in a certain light. Not at all.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Good. Company policies should be guidelines with a good amount of common sense thrown in.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looks like some of these companies are learning. Incident was yesterday and the manager is gone today.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Deputy should cancel the order, get his money back, and buy the ring from David Truong.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am always more relaxed when I am in a business that has an armed cop looking at stuff. Manager needs to move the the left Coast and welcome the homeless to Starbucks.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Deputy should cancel the order, get his money back, and buy the ring from David Truong.

THIS!!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's a good sign that at least some companies are learning. But holy hell - what does it take for these idiots to learn? I just can't comprehend what the store manager was thinking. Boggles the mind.

Would be interesting if someday the store manager calls 911 for help while at home and the police arrive but stop at the person's doorway saying that they are aware of the person's no gun policy and will remain outside until the bad guy leaves the premises. I just don't understand..... I know police wouldn't do that but it would be fitting.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
So who was the manager going to call if the store was ever robbed? Oh yeah an armed police officer.

Some of these people really take the cake.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Just... Damn.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
My reading of it is only law enforcement is allowed in their stores with firearms.

Concealed permit holders are not welcome.
Am I reading this wrong?

The company further stated, "We have tremendous respect for law enforcement, and we thank the Office for bringing this to our attention. We will be sure to reinforce store training regarding our firearm policy with specific regard to uniformed law enforcement."

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How would they know if you're carrying concealed? Smile

But I read this as: anyone is welcome but especially uniformed law enforcement.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
As a jewelry store owner I do not understand the stupidity of this employee. We value our law enforcement and always go above and beyond for them

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
As a jewelry store owner I do not understand the stupidity of this employee.
Oh, I'd wager that a quick glance at the now unemployed idiot's drivers license photo would make it crystal clear.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
My reading of it is only law enforcement is allowed in their stores with firearms.

Concealed permit holders are not welcome.
Am I reading this wrong?

It's a Kay store. Every one I've seen has had a no-guns-allowed sign on the door.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Unless it's changed, Kay is owned by Jared. And all the companies in their group are anti. They might make an exception for the cops, but private citizens? Nah.

And I agree....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's not miss the point, gents. The cop-hater got what they deserved, and quickly. That's very gratifying.

I don't give a shit about Kay Jeweler's weapons policy, because if I visited one of their locations, I would not announce that I am armed. They can post whatever signs they wish. Doesn't mean jack shit to me.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wonder whether there's even a tiny chance that the ex-store manager actually thought that the company's "no guns" policy applied to uniformed cops.

I suppose that it's possible that somebody is that dumb, but I'm having a hard time believing it.

More likely that the person is anti-cop or anti-gun or both, and dumb enough to think that s/he would get away with it.

I guess that anybody with the IQ of a bowling ball can become a store manager for this company.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Talk about a no-brainer canning that idiot.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the store, but I think corporate handled it appropriately. Apologized, contacted the officer directly, fired the idiot within 24 hours. With some many better options like Dave, they don’t want to piss off the masses Smile

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can that stupid slogan, that "every Kiss begins with K."

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post