SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kay Jewelers store manager no longer employed after keeping on-duty deputy from picking up ring Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am fine with the cretin being unemployed

its what he wanted

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
This is just north of me. Iredell County is pretty conservative, I expect that store will hurt a bit after that, apology or not.

It's the kind of county that one can drive through and still see the Stars and Bars hanging somewhere on most roads.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Oh, I'd wager that a quick glance at the now unemployed idiot's drivers license photo would make it crystal clear.

Yeah, not too many choices otherwise.

These cases tend to be played by the same playbook.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Let's not miss the point, gents. The cop-hater got what they deserved, and quickly. That's very gratifying.

I don't give a shit about Kay Jeweler's weapons policy, because if I visited one of their locations, I would not announce that I am armed. They can post whatever signs they wish. Doesn't mean jack shit to me.

Point one, THIS!!!

Point two, my grandmother was killed by a drug addled, crackhead; who the system allowed to roam free.... she had, and owned a gun but didn’t have it on her when she was killed-if only she had....THIS, is why I carry everywhere, especially now that I can no longer fight crime due to my stroke. As a husband, I have the solem obligation to protect my wife, and my children..as a former cop, I know the cops are not present when trouble rears it’s ugly head. I know the cops are minutes away. I know it takes less than a second for shit to go bad. I know I must protect myself. I know that sign won’t stop a bad guy from going into anywhere....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Remember two or three years ago, how we had this bullshit every month or two? But it was usually in a fast food restaurant where the cumulative IQ of the staff wouldn't make it to triple digits.
We don't hear too much of it these days. Must have been a late bloomer.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Good that Kay management made the right call in firing the manager.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this idiot learned nothing, and feels like the victim.

Hopefully there are armed guards at the unemployment office so he's too scared to enter

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I notice the Sheriff's dept was kind enough to not post personal info about the manager. I have a mental image of what said (former) manager looks like, would love to see how the actual photo compares.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Something else they feel is the burden of coping with a reduced income, and with the uncertainty of their current employment status, and you can bet your bottom dollar that if they could turn time back by 48 hours, they would do so without hesitation.

That's good enough for me.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Can you receive unemployment when fired for cause (not adhering to company policy)? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
not adhering to company policy

https://s2.q4cdn.com/912924347...-11-2017-(Final).pdf

quote:

Signet Jewelers maintains a weapons-free workplace for all Team Members and Customers excluding authorized security personnel.

You can't expect an employee to employ "common sense" while at the same time demanding they adhere to a policy in violation of that common sense.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That was some genuine weapons grade stupid on display right there.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Jewelry stores, gun stores, pawn shops, gas stations. These places want and need armed officers to feel welcome to stop by as often as they feel like. It helps keep away the shitbags that like to hold them up. Anyone running such an establishment too stupid too realize this doesn’t need to be employed there. I’ve bought a lot of coffee and snacks for guys in uniform because I liked having them around when I was working the drunk junkie shift at the local gulp & gas.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the law there but in Michigan, State Police are legally required to be armed at all times, on or off duty. Most Counties/Cities & departments follow that example. Thus here, the officer could never enter the store as he would always be armed.

I also don't believe it is legal for any employee to prevent a uniformed officer from entering any public building. I know when I was a Fire Fighter in my home town, in uniform and on duty, you couldn't stop me from entering so I can't imagine you can stop an officer.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I posted last year about what was on the door of a local Kay location in Louisiana.

Kay local store

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Total unmitigated jackassery.

Roll Eyes

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Another example of a subculture revealing itself, whose canons include cop hating. It is an undercurrent that is always there with certain segments of the population, and most experienced cops can smell it. The media won't tackle it, but many are taught this disdain for cops from childhood, or were programmed on a university campus and it seems to be growing.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I'm not sure about the law there but in Michigan, State Police are legally required to be armed at all times, on or off duty. Most Counties/Cities & departments follow that example. Thus here, the officer could never enter the store as he would always be armed.

I also don't believe it is legal for any employee to prevent a uniformed officer from entering any public building. I know when I was a Fire Fighter in my home town, in uniform and on duty, you couldn't stop me from entering so I can't imagine you can stop an officer.

In Kentucky law states an officer may be armed at all times in pretty much all places. Minus the typical Federal buildings, post offices, jails, etc.

No place can stop an officer on or off duty from carrying a firearm in their establishment.

It has always been that way the law was just a little vague. A few years back a music venue in Louisville was not allowing officer to enter armed off duty.
Louisville requires their officers to be armed at all times while in Jefferson County. Info of this and a couple other establishments were made known. Did not take long for the laws wording to be clarified.

I first read about this in Mimi’s Jewelry’s FB page.
I figured that fad had ended but guess their are a few stragglers out there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Of course it's legal. You can't tell me that just because you're in a fireman's uniform that someone has to let you onto his business property.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course it's legal. You can't tell me that just because you're in a fireman's uniform that someone has to let you onto his business property.

We had a local pizza place that has a sign on the door prohibiting the wearing of boots into their restaurant. Perhaps they hate firefighters. Wink

Private businesses are not public property, so absent some other specific reason, those in charge of the property can allow or ban whomever they wish. And although I'm sure many of these cases do involve somebody with an attitude problem or other issue, I'm not convinced all of them do.

Many companies issue employee handbooks with zero tolerance rules as it pertains to some issues like firearms. Those policies don't spell out exceptions for police officers, so what's an employee to do? Use common sense and you might get fired. Follow the rules and you might get fired. Kind of a catch 22.

But if I were in their shoes, I'd hire an employment attorney and the company's handbook would be Exhibit A in my wrongful termination suit. Why doesn't their company policy specifically exclude uniformed LEOs? Since their policy doesn't specifically exclude them, who's more at fault? The manager, or corporate? If corporate excluded them and the manager still refused service, that would be a different story all together.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post