SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for mattress suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for mattress suggestions Login/Join 
posted
The mattress I have now is getting up there in age....bought in 2008. So I’m starting to wonder if most of my lower back problems the last couple of years are due to the mattress I’ve been using.

So what would you guys suggest for a new mattress? I’m a side sleeper with lower back pain at times. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I’d like to keep the budget under 2k if possible. Prefer king size but might be willing to size down to a queen if needed.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our go to is a waterbed with a goose down topper on it for the last 20 years. No heat in the waterbed. Been on a waterbed for more than 30 years, first ones were heated.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
You will spend more than $2000, but our purple mattress has been truly life changing. Solved back problems over night and made it so my wife and I can enjoy sleeping in the same bed instead of always having to compromise.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We've had a 'Casper' for a year and it's remarkable. We picked it up at Costco, hauled it home, rolled it out and and slept on it that night. Edges are softer than a traditional mattress so don't roll out. Our queen was about $500. Couple it with a set of microfleece sheets and sleep is heavenly.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4235 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor: If you're going to research the Purple mattress, do it in Incognito mode in your browser, or on someone else's computer.

A few years back I was looking into buying a new mattress, and briefly researched Purple. From that point on, for months afterwards, every single YouTube video I watched or ad-filled website I visited would display a prominent Purple ad. Every. Single. Damn. One. Sometimes multiple ads. Often the same Purple ad repeated over and over again every few minutes throughout a Youtube video.

I got so freaking sick of Purple mattress ads, it's what drove me to install an adblocker for my browser that specifically also worked on Youtube ads.

I'd like to punch the Purple marketing team in their faces. Their interweb advertising budget must be astronomical.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
This mattress has ruined me for sleeping anywhere but home. It is a hybrid, which is a combination spring and temperpedic mattress. It also has cooling gel as well. Amazing and I can’t even feel my wife toss and turn like my old one.

https://www.nfm.com/sealy-prem...h-king-mattress-only

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did a LOT of research earlier this year, and knew we wanted a latex hybrid. Someone on here had previously posted a link to an educational forum about mattresses (maybe tatortodd?), and I read, and read, and READ some more!

The gist of it was that the big name brands are just that; big names. You're much better off finding a smaller mattress crafter, where you get much higher quality materials and craftsmanship, instead of just a big name.

We weren't necessarily looking for "organic", but wound up buying a "Natural Escape" from mygreenmattress.com . It has higher quality springs, organic/natural latex, organic cotton and wool, and is made in Illinois, I believe.

King size shipped to us rolled up like a Purple, etc, and rolled out beautifully. We couldn't be happier, and I haven't been this comfortable in bed in years! Sleeps very temperature neutral - not hot whatsoever in the summer, and not too cool in the winter. We absolutely love it and can't recommend it strongly enough!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
After lots of research we got a Novaform from Costco for about $500 and it has been so much better than the $2000 conventional mattress it replaced.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For your price point I'd recommed a Serta Hybrid. I have a king size that's under $2k with box springs, it's an inner spring mattress with a layer of gel and then a layer of memory foam. I've had mine now for about 4 years and really like it. I've tried the memory foam ones, latex ones, and the sleep number ones and prefer the Serta.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Denver Mattress Richmond model. Its a hybrid with coils underneight. Very comfortable and if your spouse or you toss or turn the other will never feel it. I just tried to find it and it appears to be discontinued. Frown

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
We did a LOT of research earlier this year, and knew we wanted a latex hybrid. Someone on here had previously posted a link to an educational forum about mattresses (maybe tatortodd?), and I read, and read, and READ some more!
Good chance it was me.

Here is what I wrote back in 2018 summarizing how I purchased my latex base with a latex topper in 2017.
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
One of the best mattress threads of 2017 had a recommendation for theforum The Mattress Underground . This is so much better than reading ratings on Amazon, Costco, etc. as they actually break down the layers and their quality. Not a big deal if you're 150 lbs, but a huge deal if you're over 200 lbs. The link above is specifically for their bed in a box (do yourself a favor and spend the time reading the 33 pages), and if you're over 200 lbs make sure it says "suitable for any weight range." For the OP, you'll see that some of the ones listed here are either comprised of poor materials or there are better choices for less money.

A word of caution, I'm normally an Amazon fan, but in this case I'm going to recommend against Amazon. Amazon's policy is that their warranty supersedes the manufacturer's warranty and most of the bed in the box mattress companies have a 90 or 100 day trial period if you buy direct, but if you buy from Amazon it's 30 days.

Last December, I ended up buying one of the talalay latex mattresses they rated "suitable for any weight range" and I'm extremely pleased. Normally, I'd post the manufacturer's link but their website is acting up.
I used the strike through font as they got out of the bed in a box business. Very unfortunate since it was a pretty sweet set-up where you bought the high quality base and then matched the talalay latex topper to your sleep style and body weight. I ended up getting a king with a softer side for side sleeping and firmer side for back sleeping. Even bought two king size latex pillows with one being higher for side sleeping and one being lower profile for back sleeping. All in (mattress, topper, pillows, and shipping) I spent less than $1200 for something extremely customized, every component was premium, and way better than anything locally at 3x the price.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Bought this Novaform Mattress at Costco during the summer for the guest room. I've slept on it probably 8 or 10 nights and really like it.

I bought it in the warehouse for $379 ($499 less $120 off) for a Queen size.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
After wanting one for years and settling for a copy, we bought a Tempur-Pedic about a year ago. We bought an adjustable bed base at the same time and the combination is, by far, the best we’ve had in our married life. No hesitation recommendation.

Posts: 13294 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
https://sleepopolis.com/mattress-reviews/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7003 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We are about 10 years in on a Novaform memory foam mattress from Costco. $500 for a King Size, feels as good today as it did the first day. We are both “plus” size and no sag at all after all these years.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We picked up a Simmons Backcare mattress about a year ago. It is pretty darn comfortable. I have no complaints.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thank you 1s1k for reminding us that the question has been answered at least nine times already.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5057 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you're in the Illinois area maybe check this place out.

I went with this latex/wool dual sided (flippable) model about 6 years ago.

Platinum Dreams Mattress

I also had lower back issues and this medium firm model was perfect.

It is a bit more than you wanted to spend but that store has many other similar models that are available on the floor to test out.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Try a Winkbed and you'll be a happy camper. We've tried all the mattresses and really like Tempurpedic but didn't want to spend that amount of money to replace our 10 year old Tempurpedic.

We were told about Winkbeds and ordered a split king and they are fantastic. We've had it for about 5 months. We like them better than the Tepurpedic and MUCH cheaper.

WINKBEDS

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post