SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Navy Sinks Houthi Boats
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Navy Sinks Houthi Boats Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good Lord Rod Stewart has some freakishly long fingers.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I believe we are about ready for action. Any day now.

Not gonna happen. No 10% for the big guy.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIP2000GLO:
Not gonna happen.

Apparently they were able to find Biden (who hasn't been seen since Monday), and a janitor at the Pentagon finally picked up the phone. Bombing is underway.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RE: WCBs post, I’ve never understood why these tankers, or container ships, don’t have a contingent of armed security folks aboard to repel a hijacking. Granted I have no education in maritime law or what you can do in International waters, but a dozen mall cops with M4s could repel 4-5 dudes in black uniforms. It’s not like you can’t see them coming.

Posts: 815 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Not gonna happen.
a janitor at the Pentagon finally picked up the phone. Bombing is underway.

Well somebody buy that janitor a beer and have his salary trippled. He's the only one with a functional head.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

From https://apnews.com/article/yem...5e874a0dd03513fe36a2:
quote:
US, British militaries launch massive retaliatory strike against Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen

The U.S. and British militaries bombed more than a dozen sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen on Thursday, in a massive retaliatory strike using warship and submarine-launched Tomahawk missiles and fighter jets, U.S. officials said. The military targets included logistical hubs, air defense systems and weapons storage and launching locations, they said.

President Joe Biden said the strikes were meant to demonstrate that the U.S. and its allies “will not tolerate” the militant group’s ceaseless attacks on the Red Sea. And he said the U.S. and its allies only made the move after attempts at diplomatic negotiations and careful deliberation.

“These strikes are in direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks against international maritime vessels in the Red Sea — including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history,” Biden said in a statement. “These attacks have endangered U.S. personnel, civilian mariners, and our partners, jeopardized trade, and threatened freedom of navigation.”

Associated Press journalists in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, heard four explosions early Friday local time but saw no sign of warplanes. Two residents of Hodieda, Amin Ali Saleh and Hani Ahmed, said they heard five strong explosions hitting the western port area of the city, which lies on the Red Sea and is the largest port city controlled by the Houthis. Explosions also were heard by residents of Taiz, a southwestern city near the Red Sea.

The strikes marked the first U.S. military response to what has been a persistent campaign of drone and missile attacks on commercial ships since the start of the Israel-Hamas war. And the coordinated military assault comes just a week after the White House and a host of partner nations issued a final warning to the Houthis to cease the attacks or face potential military action. The officials confirmed the strikes on condition of anonymity to discuss military operations. Members of Congress were briefed earlier Thursday on the strike plans.

The warning appeared to have had at least some short-lived impact, as attacks stopped for several days. On Tuesday, however, the Houthi rebels fired their largest-ever barrage of drones and missiles targeting shipping in the Red Sea, with U.S. and British ships and American fighter jets responding by shooting down 18 drones, two cruise missiles and an anti-ship missile. And on Thursday, the Houthis fired an anti-ship ballistic missile into the Gulf of Aden, which was seen by a commercial ship but did not hit the ship.

In a separate statement, U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the Royal Air Force carried out targeted strikes against military facilities used by the Houthis.

Noting the militants have carried out a series of dangerous attacks on shipping, he added, “This cannot stand. He said the U.K. took “limited, necessary and proportionate action in self-defense, alongside the United States with non-operational support from the Netherlands, Canada and Bahrain against targets tied to these attacks, to degrade Houthi military capabilities and protect global shipping.”

The rebels, who have carried out 27 attacks involving dozens of drones and missiles just since Nov. 19, said Thursday that any attack by American forces on its sites in Yemen will spark a fierce military response.

“The response to any American attack will not only be at the level of the operation that was recently carried out with more than 24 drones and several missiles,” said Abdel Malek al-Houthi, the group’s supreme leader, during an hour-long speech. “It will be greater than that.”

The Houthis say their assaults are aimed at stopping Israel’s war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip. But their targets increasingly have little or no connection to Israel and imperil a crucial trade route linking Asia and the Middle East with Europe.

Meanwhile, the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution Wednesday that demanded the Houthis immediately cease the attacks and implicitly condemned their weapons supplier, Iran. It was approved by a vote of 11-0 with four abstentions — by Russia, China, Algeria and Mozambique.

Britain’s participation in the strikes underscored the Biden administration’s effort to use a broad international coalition to battle the Houthis, rather than appear to be going it alone. More than 20 nations are already participating in a U.S.-led maritime mission to increase ship protection in the Red Sea.

U.S. officials for weeks had declined to signal when international patience would run out and they would strike back at the Houthis, even as multiple commercial vessels were struck by missiles and drones, prompting companies to look at rerouting their ships.

On Wednesday, however, U.S. officials again warned of consequences.

“I’m not going to telegraph or preview anything that might happen,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken told reporters during a stop in Bahrain. He said the U.S. has made clear “that if this continues as it did yesterday, there will be consequences. And I’m going to leave it at that.”

The Biden administration’s reluctance over the past several months to retaliate reflected political sensitivities and stemmed largely from broader worries about upending the shaky truce in Yemen and triggering a wider conflict in the region. The White House wants to preserve the truce and has been wary of taking action in Yemen that could open up another war front.

The impact on international shipping and the escalating attacks, however, triggered the coalition warning, which was signed by the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore and the United Kingdom. Separately, the U.S. called on the United Nations Security Council to take action against the Houthis and warned their financier Iran that it has a choice to make about continuing to provide support to the rebels.

Transit through the Red Sea, from the Suez Canal to the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, is a crucial shipping lane for global commerce. About 12% of the world’s trade typically passes through the waterway that separates Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, including oil, natural gas, grain and everything from toys to electronics.

In response to the attacks, the U.S. created a new maritime security mission, dubbed Operation Prosperity Guardian, to increase security in the Red Sea, Bab el-Mandeb Strait and the Gulf of Aden, with about 22 countries are participating. U.S. warships, and those from other nations, have been routinely sailing back and forth through the narrow strait to provide protection for ships and to deter attacks. The coalition has also ramped up airborne surveillance.

The decision to set up the expanded patrol operation came after three commercial vessels were struck by missiles fired by Houthis in Yemen on Dec. 3.

The Pentagon increased its military presence in the region after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel to deter Iran from widening the war into a regional conflict, including by the Houthis and Iran-backed militias in Iraq and Syria.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I believe we are about ready for action. Any day now.

Not gonna happen. No 10% for the big guy.

Called it..

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allies Strike Back Against Houthis In Yemen
quote:
The U.S. and U.K., with support from Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Bahrain conducted strikes against Houthi facilities in Yemen in retaliation for attacks on Red Sea shipping, a U.S. defense official tells The War Zone. The strikes occurred from air, surface and subsurface platforms, the official said.

The actions targeted Houthi radar systems, drone, ballistic and cruise missile storage and launch sites, said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss operational details.

The attacks took place at about 6:30 Eastern time, the official said.

No immediate bomb damage assessment was available.
CNN reported on Twitter that the attacks were carried out by Tomahawk missiles and fighters.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The U.S. and British militaries bombed more than a dozen sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen on Thursday,

It's about fucking time. There was zero risk to blowing up some radar and missile sites. Zero political risk. Zero military risk. Reduced maritime commerce risks.

Why did it takr 6-7 weeks to pick the right course of action?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21142 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Why did it takr 6-7 weeks to pick the right course of action?

A might-have-been announcement from President Roosevelt in April 1942:

“Since December 1941, the Empire of Japan has launched unprovoked surprise actions on Hawaii, Guam, Wake Island, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Burma, Borneo, the Dutch East Indies, Singapore, Australia, California, New Guinea, and other locations which have caused large numbers of military and civilian deaths and other casualties. These incidents have continued despite continued requests to Japan to discontinue their distressful actions and stern warnings about possible disagreeable consequences for all parties if they continue. Thus far the US and its allies have prudently refrained from taking direct action against Japan itself to avoid the danger of provoking the Japanese to further adventures and widening the current unpleasantness.

“In view, however, of Japan’s continued intransigence and failure to meet with our diplomats to discuss their legitimate grievances and aspirations and to convince them to suspend their actions, today I have requested the Army and Navy to prepare a mission to send a small number of bombers on a raid against the Japanese home islands as a demonstration of our displeasure about the current state of affairs. We hope to hear from the Japanese government before launching the raid becomes necessary.”

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47718 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Dolittle does not approve.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16230 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
saw some RAF footage of them taking out at least 4 targets

I suspect the reason Brandon doesn't want to undertake a major strike and solve the problem once and for all is that he is working under the assumption that these guys are Houthi and the Blowfish - one of his favorite music groups and he doesn't want to miss their next tour

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
Granted I have no education in maritime law or what you can do in International waters, but a dozen mall cops with M4s could repel 4-5 dudes in black uniforms. It’s not like you can’t see them coming.

They have anti-ship missiles, long range drones, and helicopters.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
They have anti-ship missiles, long range drones, and helicopters.

Really? Gosh, I must have missed that in the countless news reports and Internet discussions (including right here, for crying in the effing rain!) about what has been going on there for weeks.

Holeechit!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47718 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A crew member with a Javelin can smoke a copter before it reaches the deck.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
RE: WCBs post, I’ve never understood why these tankers, or container ships, don’t have a contingent of armed security folks aboard to repel a hijacking. Granted I have no education in maritime law or what you can do in International waters, but a dozen mall cops with M4s could repel 4-5 dudes in black uniforms. It’s not like you can’t see them coming.

I’m purely guessing, but I’d bet a lot of countries frown on ships showing up with armed security forces.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t want to stare down an armed helicopter while trapped on a ship, but you guys do you.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

I’m purely guessing, but I’d bet a lot of countries frown on ships showing up with armed security forces.

From the video Corsair posted on page 3, it appears that they may be staging armed security personnel on support ships on either end of the strait and transferring them to cargo vessels as they pass through...then offloading them onto another support ship on the other side to be embarked on other cargo vessels travelling back the other way. This makes sense, and solves the issue of armed guys showing up in foreign ports.

What I don't understand is how, if the author of that video is correct, the Navy is allowing an Iranian ship to hang out in the area and provide targeting information to the Houthis. If that is really happening (and evidence would suggest that it is), our ELINT resources ought to be able to easily prove it. Seems like it would be a completely justifiable and simple solution to turn that thing into a sunken reef....

Posts: 9245 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

No guessing is required about that. It has been discussed for years in the reports about dealing with Somali pirates. Strangely enough ( Roll Eyes ), most countries in the world don’t take kindly to foreign armed forces in their territory, and that includes even if they stay on their ships while docked in port. If aged tourists can be sent to jail and required to spend tens of thousands of dollars to ultimately be kicked out of the country for the heinous crime of trying to bring a few firearms cartridges through customs by mistake, it shouldn’t be hard to imagine how a bunch of tattooed and bearded guys wearing body armor and carrying automatic weapons would be welcomed.

6.4/93.6

— Thomas Jefferson

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
quote:

From the video Corsair posted on page 3, it appears that they may be staging armed security personnel on support ships on either end of the strait and transferring them to cargo vessels as they pass through...then offloading them onto another support ship on the other side to be embarked on other cargo vessels travelling back the other way. This makes sense, and solves the issue of armed guys showing up in foreign ports.

What I don't understand is how, if the author of that video is correct, the Navy is allowing an Iranian ship to hang out in the area and provide targeting information to the Houthis. If that is really happening (and evidence would suggest that it is), our ELINT resources ought to be able to easily prove it. Seems like it would be a completely justifiable and simple solution to turn that thing into a sunken reef....

The armed security force has been going on for over a year. Moving them off/on with several support ships along with a rotation of forces and supplies took some coordinating, not to mention getting the buy-in from insurance companies and shipping carriers. Unfortunately, having an embarked armed security only handles boarding/pirates, they're not going to be able to handle any air threats like drones and missiles, not to mention the insane volume of shipping that transits the area.

As for that Iranian ship, its one thing to sink a country's vessel in their own waters; they Fuck Around, they get to clean-up and salvage their own waters when they Find Out like OP Preying Mantis. Sink a ship in international waters, especially if its close-in to a separate third country, then you have all sorts of liability issues dealing with the aftermath. While I'm in favor of sinking it if it's in the right location, boarding it with 1-2 platoon of SEALs may help reduce any int'l legal complaining.

This should do...punch a hole all the way through the keel with an inexpensive JDAM

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post