SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Navy Sinks Houthi Boats
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Navy Sinks Houthi Boats Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
Looks like it was a MH-60R from HSM-74 using 4 AGM- 114 Hellfires that sank the 3 boats.

https://youtu.be/rJNDPSGOqe0?si=dGxJHLViDOSH90ZB

From the video, it looks like the -60S has the tail wheel all the way back like Army Blackhawks. The R model has two tail wheels closer to the cabin.

I assume the R has flexibility to land on smaller ships. Are there other "benefits" to the twin wheels closer to the cabin?

In my un-educated understanding, the closer rear-wheel found on the -R, and its older brothers the -B and -F, not only allowed for a smaller footprint on cruisers/destroyers but, also better managed shock absorption to the airframe when winched aboard a pitching ship using the RAST system (Recovery Assist, Secure and Traverse)

Correct for the most part

I did over 20 years of my Naval career on SH-60B's. Both the R and S can work off the small decks but the R's landing gear allow it to maneuver better on the smaller flight decks. Also the R's Avionics suit (ASW, Suface search, Comm relay, anti ship...) plus much longer legs makes it a much more versatile platform. You can get a lot more Px in a 60S though

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This is somewhat rhetorical, but what kind of an ignorant goat f****r do you have to be to take shots at anything U.S. military doing a flyby? There’s something that Balzé Hazlé said awhile back that seems to make perfect sense. He said “If it’s gray, stay away.” This seems to be a double good policy if you’re an ignorant terrorist. They could have just waved at the aircraft and lived to receive another stern warning from Biden. I just don’t get it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
This is somewhat rhetorical, but what kind of an ignorant goat f****r do you have to be to take shots at anything U.S. military doing a flyby? There’s something that Balzé Hazlé said awhile back that seems to make perfect sense. He said “If it’s gray, stay away.” This seems to be a double good policy if you’re an ignorant terrorist. They could have just waved at the aircraft and lived to receive another stern warning from Biden. I just don’t get it.

You don't get it because you are thinking like a rational human being. Most Yemeni are probably like most folks everywhere, just want to live their life, raise their kids and let the rest of the world pass them by. The guys on those small boats, like the Somalia pirates, are more like drug addicted cultist gang members.

In other words, they are ignorant goat fuckers. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To convey the level of stupidity some of these third world extremists display, when I was in Iraq a guy driving in proximity to one of our patrols shot at our up armored humvees with a 38 S&W top break enfield revolver- let’s say it di end well for him!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Entire crew of USS Carney awarded CARs.

https://www.navytimes.com/news...-attacks-in-red-sea/

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An amphibious group is replacing the USS Gerald R. Ford. The USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19), USS Bataan (LHD 5), USS Carter Hall (LSD 50) with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit are replacing it. Sounds to me like someone is preparing to go ashore.

Posts: 13 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or just a more realistic alignment of weaponry to threat. You don’t need a carrier battle group to fight gunships and speedboats. Marine helos are pretty good at this mission with a lower downside than risking a carrier. We aren’t landing troops is what I’m saying. These amphibs of today carry a much bigger stick than in the past with the addition of the F35 and such. They can beat you about the head and shoulders quite effectively without everything that a CVBG requires. Just adjusting the size of the stick.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We still have another carrier in that area: the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.

So perhaps they simply decided they no longer needed two carrier groups.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shipping Giant Halts Container Ship Sails To Israel

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...er-ship-sails-israel

Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen have targeted commercial vessels with drones and missiles passing through the southern Red Sea. They say the attacks on ships destined for Israel are in solidarity with Palestinians and to facilitate humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. As a result, one major shipping company has had enough of the disruptions and decided to halt sails to Israel to avoid being attacked on the critical waterway that connects to the Suez Canal.

Bloomberg reports that Chinese state-owned shipping giant Cosco suspended all container ship transits through the Red Sea to Israel. This is to avoid being attacked.

The head of the Israeli Chambers of Commerce, Amir Shani, said Cosco informed him of the decision today. A source told Bloomberg that Cosco bookings to Israel will end next week.

More at link

Posts: 12743 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMK1:
An amphibious group is replacing the USS Gerald R. Ford. The USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19), USS Bataan (LHD 5), USS Carter Hall (LSD 50) with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit are replacing it. Sounds to me like someone is preparing to go ashore.

Bataan ARG & 26th MEU has been in-region since July'23. Primarily in the Persian Gulf/Kuwait area doing exercises, then redeploying around Gulf of Aden/Red Sea and Eastern Med around Oct as Hamas decided to FAFO.

No one is going ashore unless an embassy is getting overrun and/or US citizens are getting evacuated, which is a principal mission of the ARG/MEU team.
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
So perhaps they simply decided they no longer needed two carrier groups.

USS Ford already had her deployment extended twice, pushing up against her post-deployment maintenance period was going to become an issue if they kept her in-theater any longer. One of the shortcomings of having only 11 aircraft carriers where the delays in both construction and re-fueling, has really put the Navy in a bind and removed the flexibility that a larger force provides.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Warship Directly Targeted In 'Largest Ever' Houthi Red Sea Missile Attack

It generally targeted an area of the southern Red Sea where "dozens" of merchant vessels were traversing at the time. Some defense sources tallied that the total projectile count was 24.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...missile-drone-attack

Maybe the Houthi study math instead of gender studies.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-w...siles-actually-costs

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
US Warship Directly Targeted In 'Largest Ever' Houthi Red Sea Missile Attack

https://www.zerohedge.com/geop...missile-drone-attack
quote:
This as President Biden has waffled on requests from Pentagon leadership to hit back directly against Houthi launch positions.
Some current and former military officials were frustrated by the administration’s initial response to the Houthis’ Sunday attacks on the ships. The Houthis launched four drone and missile attacks on three ships; the destroyer USS Carney, responding to the distress calls, shot down three drones in its vicinity. Those current and former officials say the Iran-backed group’s increasingly aggressive behavior poses a significant risk to American forces in the region, and took issue with the administration’s public statements on Monday, which they say downplayed that threat.
That man is a thoroughly ineffective embarrassment to the country and a threat to world peace

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing these savages understand is force.
Introduce the Houthis to an Arc Light strike already.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Let them fire on an Israeli ship and find out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34142 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sink that Iranian ship that's providing all the intel to the Houthis..or, send an assault team and let them eat.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biden is just there to take the fall. You actually think he makes any decisions. They will push him out and say see - bad man is gone. Vote for Michelle. It will be like Camelot

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iran Hijacks Oil Tanker In Gulf Of Oman

https://www.zerohedge.com/comm...r-hijacked-gulf-oman

Iranian naval forces, acting under a court order, seized Marshall Islands-flagged tanker "St Nikolas," Bloomberg reports, citing Iran's semi-official Tasnim agency reports. The report said St Nikolas is a "US oil tanker."

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) authority reported hours ago a vessel was boarded by "4-5 armed unauthorized persons" about 50 miles east of Sohar, Oman.

"Unauthorized boarders are reported to be wearing military-style black uniforms with black masks. CSO reports that the vessel has altered its course towards Iranian territorial waters, and communications with the vessel have been lost," UKMTO said.

More at link

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I believe we are about ready for action. Any day now.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
These ships are being allowed to be hijacked.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34142 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post