SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U.S. Navy Sinks Houthi Boats
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Navy Sinks Houthi Boats Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
https://www.navytimes.com/news...-attempt-in-red-sea/

US Navy sinks Houthi small boats during hijack attempt in Red Sea

The U.S. military said Sunday it shot down two anti-ship ballistic missiles fired toward a container ship by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea. Hours later, four boats tried to attack the same ship, but U.S. forces opened fire, killing several of the armed crews, U.S. Central Command said. No one was injured on the ship.

The Singapore-flagged Maersk Hangzhou reported they had already been hit by a missile Saturday night while transiting the Southern Red Sea and requested assistance, CENTCOM said in a statement. The guided missile destroyers Gravely and Laboon responded to the call for help. The Denmark-owned vessel was reportedly seaworthy and no injuries were noted, the statement added.
<snip>

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About fucking time. What’s the point of having a Navy if we can’t kill pirates. Or terrorists in this case.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
U.S. helicopters from the Gravely and the aircraft carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower responded to the distress call. While issuing verbal warnings to the attackers, the small boat crews opened fire on the helicopters using small arms, the statement said.
You have got to be seriously st00pid to do something this ill-advised

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
About fucking time. What’s the point of having a Navy if we can’t kill pirates. Or terrorists in this case.

Yep. It's a proud tradition that should be maintained!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Would firing on US Navy helicopters be an act of war? Would this be an opportunity to pave new parking lots?

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends. Gulf of Tonkin incident fit the bill.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Would firing on US Navy helicopters be an act of war? ...

Yes.
And the Houthis control the state of Yemen.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
After sinking the terrorists boats a couple of rockets at the port would have been a better conclusion of the incident.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm disappointed by the short attention spans of my countrymen. The Saudis (along with a few other Gulf states) were doing the heavy lifting fighting Iran's Houthi proxies, until they got tired of Slow Joe & Company criticizing them for "civilian" casualties.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
3 out of 4 pirate boats sunk. 1 goes home to tell the Houthis don't shoot at US Helicopters or you'll get the 50 caliber machine gun!

Tweet from US Centcom

Iranian-backed Houthi small boats attack merchant vessel and U.S. Navy helicopters in Southern Red Sea

On Dec. 31 at 6:30am (Sanaa time) the container ship MAERSK HANGZHOU issued a second distress call in less than 24 hours reporting being under attack by four Iranian-backed Houthi small boats. The small boats, originating from Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen, fired crew served and small arms weapons at the MAERSK HANGZHOU, getting to within 20 meters of the vessel, and attempted to board the vessel. A contract embarked security team on the MAERSK HANZGHOU returned fire. U.S. helicopters from the USS EISENHOWER (CVN 69) and GRAVELY (DDG 107) responded to the distress call and in the process of issuing verbal calls to the small boats, the small boats fired upon the U.S. helicopters with crew served weapons and small arms. The U.S. Navy helicopters returned fire in self-defense, sinking three of the four small boats, and killing the crews. The fourth boat fled the area. There was no damage to U.S. personnel or equipment.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its about time! And once again the term "Houthi controlled areas" is used. Arc Light them already!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
We need to bomb the shit out of all of the bases in Yemen. 48 hours of non-stop bombing ala Baghdad in the first Gulf War. We know exactly where they are.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Would firing on US Navy helicopters be an act of war? ...

Yes.

And Iran controls the Houthis. It's time to take care of business.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You guys remember when the Iranians nearly blew the USS Samuel B. Roberts in two with a mine, and then the Navy sank half of Iran’s navy and two oil platforms? We need some of that “proportional” response today. That’s the difference between having Reagan in the chair vs Biden.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Arc Light them already!

I witnessed an Arc Light once, a long time ago.

We got radio traffic that said it was inbound at a compass heading and a distance that I don't recall, 1000 yards distant for sure, maybe further.

First we saw the horizon light up and roll to our left and with a slight delay we heard the rumble of the explosions, loud, not painful because it wasn't sharp, but loud enough, and a hair later, a second? who knows, the ground shook as a rolling ground swell passed under us.

Impressively loud, it got lots of cheers, (we were on a reinforced battalion operation) and then it rolled to a stop.

In the A.M. we moved into an area dotted with craters, some a dozen feet deep filling with ground water at this point. What had been a rolling hillside dotted with concrete bunkers, pill boxes, was now the mountains of the moon. It was obvious some bunkers had just disintegrated, some shattered, some leaving only craters as memorial. A couple that I saw hadn't been directly hit nor had they caved-in but the occupants had become good VC.

If I had a kid on one of our ships in that AO taking incoming, I'd be good with watching another one.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You guys remember when the Iranians nearly blew the USS Samuel B. Roberts in two with a mine, and then the Navy sank half of Iran’s navy and two oil platforms? We need some of that “proportional” response today. That’s the difference between having Reagan in the chair vs Biden.

We had a different president back then that cared about our soldiers and country.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5v6hlRyeHE

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Not quite. They claim to do so, but only one country (Iran) recognizes their claims, and they hold only the western third of the country. To the rest of the world, they're a rebel group against the legitimate internationally-recognized Yemeni government. On the current map shown below, green areas are Houthi rebel territory, while red and yellow areas are controlled by the recognized Yemeni government:

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ah. Thanks for the correction.
I need to read up more.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that these Seahawks used Hellfire missiles to sink the boats. These boats were probably equipped with 12.7mm HMG so that's a 50 cal on 50 cal duel and the helos probably wouldn't win that contest so handily.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Thats what I'm talking about.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post