SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me the must-eat places in Boston area and downeast Maine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me the must-eat places in Boston area and downeast Maine Login/Join 
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Johnsons Seafood & Steak, have the best fried clams - Northwood just w of UNH on Rt 4/202. When we go visit I have to go have the clams.
http://www.eatatjohnsons.com/northwood

Also agree on Newick's.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If in downtown Boston, I enjoyed the food and history of the Union Oyster House.

Posts: 283 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
When in Boston, go to the North End, and walk up Hanover Street. Great Italian food all around you.

I'm a big fan of both Mare and Bricco, with dessert at either Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry.

Pro tip - cash only at the Pastry shops...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original Regina's Pizza in the North End of Boston is ridiculously good. Really almost any Italian food in the North End will be fantastic.

I'll second the recommendation for the Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth, ME. Beautiful setting, and even better food. Further up the coast near Bath, is the Five Islands Lobster Co. https://fiveislandslobster.com which is fantastic.

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Is Durgin Park in Boston still open? Wink

Seriously, Beach Plum is excellent. Galleyhatch is good in Hampton, too.

Johnson's in Northwood is good but a long way off the direct Boston->Maine route.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Durgin Park in Boston still open?

Remember Jacob Worth's?

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Both Durgin Park and Jacob Wirth are still open. Durgin Park (at the Faneuil Hall Marketplace) still has their food delivered to the upstairs kitchen by chain hoist. Cool place and historical too.

If you'll be in Boston during the week, or at the Prudential Tower anytime, a great sandwich can be found at Chacarero. A large chicken with eveything INCLUDING the green beans is fuel aplenty for the afternoon. The weekday only location is in the Financial District.

I preder Bova's in the North End for pastries, particularly the tiramisu and cannoli- on the plus they're open 24 hours, so a late night stumble there for sweets was always fun. They are on Salem St, just northwest/ west of Hanover St (one block over).

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Both Durgin Park and Jacob Wirth are still open. Durgin Park (at the Faneuil Hall Marketplace) still has their food delivered to the upstairs kitchen by chain hoist. Cool place and historical too.

Haven't been there in decades. Went into town a lot more when my wife worked for DEC.

Are the waitresses still surly?

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I'm so old I remember when the floor at Jacob Worth was covered in sawdust....way before osha. :+)

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Surly? To put it mildly...

For lobster rolls, about 15 minutes from Boston, on the bridge of route 145 from East Boston to Winthrop, you'll find Belle Isle seafood. They freshly crack and mix your lobster roll when you order. Takes a few minutes, but there's a reason they are popular...you'll thank me later.
A linky to their book of faces thing:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/B...food/405098856171151

Kelly's Roast Beast is overpriced and "chainy" now. I used to deliver there so I can vouch they are tasty, and very clean, but there are better out there.

For a roast beef sandwich fix, go into ANY Roast Beef Shop you see (typically Greek family owned) north of Boston, and ask for a Super Beef on an onion roll, three way.

Be hungry, BTW.

Again, knowing what day and whereabouts ya may be headed could get different reccomendations.

Will you hit "Witch City", Salem, MA? There are some realy good historic experiences there, and some really kitschy tourist "attractions".

Clam box in Ipswich is awesome, as is Woodman's in Essex- but they are a little out of the way if you plan on being in the immediate Boston proper only. Belle Isle above is as good if not better, and much closer. Northern Seafood on Northern Ave is good, and The Barking Crab just near the Moakley Courthouse on the waterfront is also famous for a reason.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Down East Maine is way up the coast. Try the Dolphin Marina restaurant in Harpswell. More mid-coast Maine.

Posts: 640 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I should have checked back here more often... still had a good trip with some great meals. Pics for any interested.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3292 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:
Down East Maine is way up the coast. Try the Dolphin Marina restaurant in Harpswell. More mid-coast Maine.
Thanks. I obviously don't know the correct lingo.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
WONDERFUL pics! Looks you you all had a good time! Man I need to try to get back home this summer....

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I live 10 minutes from Kimball Farm in Lancaster (they have 2 locations, Westford and Lancaster). I think I'm going there tonight for a cup of Kahlua Crunch! Yum!

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great time.
Having those great local ice cream places growing up it made me confused as to why down here folks get all nuts over this crummy soft serve stuff.

I still remember one of my last outings with my dad, sitting on the seawall at Gloucester enjoying clam chowder on a brisk fall day.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I live 10 minutes from Kimball Farm in Lancaster (they have 2 locations, Westford and Lancaster). I think I'm going there tonight for a cup of Kahlua Crunch! Yum!

I used to go to the one in Jaffrey, NH quite a bit.

I'll be on the southeast coast of MA in early July and looking forward to my fill of seafood!

Great pics, 1k! You made me hungry.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

I still remember one of my last outings with my dad, sitting on the seawall at Gloucester enjoying clam chowder on a brisk fall day.
Not many things better than that, IMO.