SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me the must-eat places in Boston area and downeast Maine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me the must-eat places in Boston area and downeast Maine Login/Join 
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
in downtown boston alcapones is good i worked in boston for years if you go during lunch you better know what you want its fast paced it reminds me of the soup nazi on seinfeld
http://www.alcaponedowntown.com/

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The Arundel Wharf Restaurant in Kennebunkport. The best French onion soup in the world and the fishing boats unload under the kitchen.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are expecting to get a lobster tail in Maine - Forget about it!

You'll never find them. they are considered an appetizer up here. Any place that sells lobster tails means they are frozen and thawed.

Bob's Clam Hut is great but no lobsters.

Nearby a great place for them is Chauncey Creek. It's a BYOB place.

http://www.chaunceycreek.com/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clam places previously named in this thread are all pretty good.

This place in Portsmouth NH was good a couple of years ago.

http://dolphinstriker.com

Also, add Markey's in Seabrook NH to the casual good food mix (cash only).

http://www.markeyslobsterpool.com

Posts: 543 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Batniccal Billies

https://www.google.com/search?...ie=UTF-8#fpstate=lie

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Boston: Warren Tavern, Bell in Hand, XV Beacon, Green Dragon

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
In Boston, I ate at legal seafoods. Good lobstuh.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boston: Pizzeria Regina

Portsmouth/Newington NH: Newick's Lobster House, Poco's, Dolphin Striker, and Rusty Hammer.

ME: Loco Coco's in Kittery, Alison's in Kennebunkport (best scallops I've ever had). Chauncey's is solid too. Avoid Warren's, I have gotten ill from there 2 times, as have others I know; their salad bar is the culprit.

Enjoy the trip.

Posts: 799 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you should be looking for breakfast while in Maine, the Wiscasett Diner will get you filled with good hearty food. Of course you won't likely need to eat again until supper. The locals going through make it a worthwhile stop.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2940 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
If you're up for a short ride to Salem, one of my good friends and clients owns a restaurant called Tuscan kitchen. It. Is. Incredible. The food, atmosphere, (probably an exotic car or two) everything. If you end up wanting to try it, shoot me an email and I'll tell him to have them take extra good care of you guys.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
The Clam Box reminded me of the Agawam Diner in Rowley, MA. The Agawam Diner is an old diner car which is on the historic register. The food is great, especially breakfast. It is cash only however.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Midwest Grill in Cambridge. There is a sister to it in Saugus on Rt 1, but I have never been there. I worked at Maurizio's in the North End of Boston. Their lobster based sauce is great- so Linguini Calamari would be a good choice.

Yosaku in Portland is good, and RiRa's in Portland does a good fish and chips. I will be hitting Yosaku this summer when I am up there visiting.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
A little thread drift for the OP:

Boothbay is NOT "Downeast Maine". Not even close. Referring to it as such invites scorn from the locals. It's "Mid Coast".

Technically, Bar Harbor is not "Downeast" either, but they've pretty much appropriated the term.

Downeast starts after you cross the Hancock/Sullivan bridge on Route 1 about 10 miles East of Ellsworth, and refers to the immediate coastal area from there to Calais/Canada and inland a few miles. If you get much further inland (North) you're "up North" or "In The County" depending on how far North you go.

Not that you probably give a rat, just a tidbit of trivia.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
If you make it up to Wells you can go to Billy's Chowder on miles ave.

phil

Posts: 2393 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteer:
Boston: Pizzeria Regina

Portsmouth/Newington NH: Newick's Lobster House, Poco's, Dolphin Striker, and Rusty Hammer.

ME: Loco Coco's in Kittery, Alison's in Kennebunkport (best scallops I've ever had). Chauncey's is solid too. Avoid Warren's, I have gotten ill from there 2 times, as have others I know; their salad bar is the culprit.

Enjoy the trip.

I'm glad somebody else reccomend Newick's.
When I was going to UNH that was THE place to go for lobstah..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Kelly's Roast Beef on Revere Beach, Santarpio's Pizza in East Boston just outside the Air Port, Floramo's In Chelsea where the meat falls off the bone.

Just a few local north shore places.

Posts: 2837 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
there's the Clam Box in Ipswic

Stood in line there many times. It's a local institution.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
there's the Clam Box in Ipswic

Stood in line there many times. It's a local institution.

Me too, that brings back memories.

Busy Bee in Topsfield? long gone.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

For Boston Area....

The Summer Shack owned by Jasper White
www.SummerShackRestaurant.com

Fugakyu Sushi
www.Fugakyu.net/Brookline

Posts: 2866 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post