SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me the must-eat places in Boston area and downeast Maine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me the must-eat places in Boston area and downeast Maine Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
please. 5 people: wife and 3 older teens

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3292 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
On the way up to Maine, stop at The Beach Plum on Rt. 1A in North Hampton, NH for the best lobster rolls on Earth. (Grew up there, so I know my lobster rolls. Wink )

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Red's Sandwich Shop in Salem is worth it for breakfast if you are passing thru:
http://www.redssandwichshop.com/menu.html

We liked the Ogunquit Lobster Pound:
http://www.ogunquitlobsterpound.com/index.html

Honeymoon was in 09 - we flew into Boston and drove up to Ogunquit and stayed a week and explored the area from Kittery to Kennebunkport. A lot of good little mom and pop shops and roadside clam shacks. I had a lobster roll for lunch just about every day we were there Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
How far downeast?

And what are you looking for. Plain (steamed lobstah, steamed clams, some corn on the cob) or Fancy (Lobster Thermidor, Clam Linguine) or non-seafood?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Midwest Grille on Cambridge St in Cambridge. All you can eat meat that is brought around to the table on swords by the wait staff. And it's only $25/ea for dinner.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
How far downeast?

And what are you looking for. Plain (steamed lobstah, steamed clams, some corn on the cob) or Fancy (Lobster Thermidor, Clam Linguine) or non-seafood?

Anything really. Cheaper is better but good is the priority. I love seafood but am a landlubber, so I plan to take advantage while I'm back there.

Boothbay area or thereabouts. thanks!

Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Kinda small and can be packed:

Neptune Oyster
63 Salem St, Ste 1
Boston, MA
02113-2273‎

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

I really enjoy this place. We have gone there several times with the kids and always enjoyed it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4034 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Neptune Oyster. Put your name in for a table and then go visit the Old North Church. They will call your cell when your table is ready.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You'll want to stop at the Kittery Trading Post. Not for food, visit the gun section.
If it's still there, right across the street is the Weathervane. We always stopped there. No ambiance at all, just good cheap eats, lobster, chowder and such.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are expecting to get a lobster tail in Maine - Forget about it! They don't have them anyplace we stopped. My friend wanted a lobster tail dinner and finally realized the only way to get lobster in Maine is whole or lobster roll. Both of them are fine with me but she didn't want to deal with the whole lobster. I broke off the tail on hers and made a feast of the tomalley from hers and mine.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2940 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
If you do go to the shops in Kittery, you can feed your crew at Robert's Maine Grill. Can't miss it. On the main road with the lighthouse in front.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Anything really. Cheaper is better but good is the priority. I love seafood but am a landlubber, so I plan to take advantage while I'm back there.

Boothbay area or thereabouts. thanks!

Ah. Can't help ya then, that's too far South for me. If ya was gonna get as far as Bah Hahbah and Acadia National Park, I'd have some recommendations.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was just in Boston briefly (Friday lunch, Sunday dinner and Monday lunch) 2 weekends ago. Due to my weird schedule, I wasn't able to do my normal major city dining by eating off the The city's Eater's 38 list. Eaters is a foodie website and they produce an essential 38 list for each major city 3 or 4 times per year. Every meal I've had ranges from very good to exceptional, and the list is a variety of genres and price points. Its orders of magnitude better than yelp where any idiot with a phone can rate microwaving frozen food higher than made from scratch food prepared by a trained chef.

Anyway, here was my dining experience in Boston:
  • Friday lunch, I wasn't able to get in due to the college graduation across the street but my friend who grew up in the area raved about Legal Seafood's Test Kitchen (different than the regular Legal Seafood restaurants). I was too hungry and had a 3 hour drive left so I didn't eat anywhere memorable.
  • Sunday dinner, I dined at the Artisan Bistro in the Ritz Carlton. It was good (not great) so I wouldn't recommend considering their prices (should've been great not good at that price point)
  • Monday lunch, I had some very good dumplings in Chinatown at Gourmet Dumpling House. It was voted best dumplings in Boston and was very authentic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23660 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ice age heat wave,
    cant complain.
    Picture of MikeGLI
    posted Hide Post
    I came here to recommend Neptune but a party of 5 will be a pain in the ass if it's not as soon as they open.

NRA Life Member
    Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I'm Different!
    Picture of mrbill345
    posted Hide Post
    In Kittery I always enjoyed Bob's Clam Hut. Also in Kittery, should you need a sugar fix there is Yummies.

Also had many a good meal with my Dad at JT Farnham's in South Essex, MA

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Doing my best to shape
    America's youth
    Picture of MooneyP226
    posted Hide Post
    Days and times for Boston meals please. If possible, neighborhoods/ sites you will be seeing. I used to deliver for one of the big 5 food distributors. Spent 14 years with at least one day a week in town, so I know some of the good, bad, and downright scary places.

Eta: doesn't have to be too specific... think like Monday, lunch, Back Bay/ Newbury St

Did you like the TB show "Cheers"?

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of side_shot
    posted Hide Post
    if you want to try some good burgers this hole in the wall is pretty good Lexie's Joint
    https://www.peaceloveburgers.com/portsmouth

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    North of Boston, there's the Clam Box in Ipswich and Woodman's in Essex, both on Rt. 133. Local favorites that each claim to be the originator of the fried clam. Both are very good.

There's a place in Gloucester called the Causeway that was very good when I went, but I've only been there once and that was a few years ago. Not impressive looking, but the food was good and not very expensive.

Posts: 86 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post