SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 10 end of life confirmed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 end of life confirmed. Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
Didn't MS say something about 10 being the "last" version of windows?

Browsing around on youtube today, I came across several videos looking at a recently leaked Win 11. and a quick look online and sure enough. October 2025 is the official published EOL for 10.

https://www.digitalphablet.com...end-of-life-in-2025/

I can definitely say that what I am seeing so far of Win11.... well, Linus Tech said it perfectly wit his almost first words, it looks a lot like MacOS. Even after using 10 for not quite two years now, but close, I still get days where I need to look a bit to find settings and whatnot every time I need to fix something that broke after a update. 11 is a whole new layout again.
Confused

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
My father still runs Windows 7 on 2 PCs in his home.
Had to upgrade his third PC to 10, this year, only because Turbo Tax would only work with 10.
He was pretty pissed about it.. Mad

At 85, I doubt he will ever see Windows 11 and he won't touch a Mac.. Wink

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm 83 and still running W7 on both my computers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15% to 25% of all computers are still running Windows 7 depending on who is reporting the numbers.

About 70% to 80% are on running windows 10.

This does not included inbedded systems.

Phones and tablets are becoming the preferred computer as they get more powerful.

They are trying to merge the experiences.

That is what consumers are asking for.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Usually every other major Windows release sucks.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Just great. More broken software, drivers and incompatibilities to contend with.

Win 10 was bad enough. Took years of updates from the vendors to get everything working together.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Took years of updates from the vendors to get everything working together

*Almost working together. Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Relax everyone. 11 is just a facelift for 10. Not sure why they are going with a new version number but all the underlying plumbing will stay the same.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/...e-can-all-live-with/

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the abysmal system known as W10 has never been on any of my machines - still running W7, XP and XP Pro and they all work just fine.

My latest two machines (laptops) are running Ubuntu and I see no reason to ever consider switching to W10 or W11 (whatever they call it)

I prefer to call it bloatware riddled with spyware and a security breach waiting to happen

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The same thing that happened with Windows 7 will happen here:

1. Enough people will push back
2. MS will get a lot of bad press
3. They will back down and push the EOL date back another couple years
4. #3 may happen twice

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Phones and tablets are becoming the preferred computer as they get more powerful.

They are trying to merge the experiences.

I guess they're slow learners

MS has tried that at least twice before. Both times the effort quickly went down in flames. Ubuntu tried it, too. Their effort likewise flamed-out.

Servers are servers. Desktops/laptops are desktops/laptops. Mobile devices are mobile devices. What works well for ergonomics and UI's for one will not for the others.

Most of my servers were administered without a GUI. Three of the servers I currently admin are admin'd w/o a GUI, and much of the admin work I do on my home server is performed with a command line

Desktops/laptops work best with rodents/trackpads and keyboards. Who wants to be sitting in front of a screen all day with their arm stretched-out in front of them tapping on a touch screen? Not I!

Phones and tablets are usually most conveniently operated by touch.

Yes: With each of the three there's some cross-over.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I prefer to call it bloatware riddled with spyware and a security breach waiting to happen

I've long referred to MS-Windows as the Internet version of a Petri dish Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I wish I could still run Windows NT.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:

NT was like when cars were with carbs and no computer controls ~ kinda nice in many respects.

I had a client still on NT about 10-12 years ago and had to migrate off to Server 2008 AD.
With no additional hardware available ( as you need two DC's to migrate ) I had to install on a Hyper-V VM to do the migration.
Installing Windows NT on a virtual Machine is no easy task but alas it worked and we migrated to the new OS.
Additional point is the longer you wait to migrate the harder (and more expensive) it is.
Granted, most everyone here the viewpoint is from the desktop where it is not as critical but sooner or later you may get issues with your hardware and software that is used/installed so basically you unfortunately become a moving target.
And of course the OS will take the brunt of the blame - right or wrong.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Usually every other major Windows release sucks.
FIFY

quote:
One of my clients runs several instances of NT under virtualization software to support "legacy" applications. There are several free-of-cost hypervisor solutions that will run NT just fine. Maybe not an option for a casual user, but with a little effort and diligence, certainly a possibility.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I wish I could still run MS-DOS 6.22, cuz' this new Windows 3.12 (for workgroups) sucks.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I wish I could still run MS-DOS 6.22, ...

H&K-Guy

CP/M 3 was better Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I wish I could still run MS-DOS 6.22, ...

H&K-Guy

CP/M 3 was better Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Windows wound be an awesome product if it was well written.

But it’s not so it isn’t. And yes there are days I wish I was still running DOS

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired Electronic Engineer/Programmer and I LIKE Windows 10.

Never had a problem in the world with it and I've been running it since it came out.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post