SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gander Mountain; Update
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Mountain; Update Login/Join 
posted
My plans to visit the Cabela's near me tomorrow has changed. I was just reading on-line from Gander Mountain's website they are closing all 126 stores. I'll go to Gander first tomorrow...

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
We had a 4 page thread on their bankruptcy back in Feb. It seemed like deals were hit or miss depending on the store. Some stores had the usual shitty GM pricing that drove away customers, and other stores had some pretty nice deals. I wish you luck.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You expecting discounted merchandise? Would like to know how it works out.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You expecting discounted merchandise? Would like to know how it works out.

Sounds like the real thing this time. My nearest is Woodbridge, VA. If they're doing discounts on something besides clothing, I'll check back in with the forum and advise.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will the candy at the check out be discounted? Circus peanuts and sour cherry balls are all I ever buy at GM.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to be heavy discounts just to bring their prices in line with everyone else.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Camping World acquires bankrupt GM, and GM says "Welcome to the team, Camping World!" WTF?

http://www.gandermountain.com/

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just opened one not far from me, no more than 8 months ago. Their website said customers can continue to rely on them for their outdoor needs. I wonder if they're going to an online only business model. You'd think that selling a few of those overpriced guns each month could've kept them afloat.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Visited yesterday just as they were putting up the sales signs. Discounts on everything except, Guns, Ammo & cleaning supplies. Go figure?

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Camping World acquires bankrupt GM, and GM says "Welcome to the team, Camping World!" WTF?

http://www.gandermountain.com/

A perfect example of Gander Mountain's arrogance.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So are they going to turn the GM properties into a camping parking area with water and electric hookups? Maybe showers inside and a cafeteria?? Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Was headed to Cabelas today and passed the nearby GM and saw the store closing banner. I pretty much just looked at clothing and fishing gear. Everything was 25-40% off. Wish I'd have had more time, might have to go back tomorrow. Almost no rain gear out but the back corner of the store had huge piles of boxes of clothes.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be checking them out tomorrow...we shall see. Having worked through a bankruptcy at an electronics store it was interesting to see the process. At this point when you are purchasing things at Gander Mountain you are actually giving your money to the various companies that purchased the stock, not Gander itself. Sale prices generally higher or negligible for the first week or so, it is amazing that folks who wouldn't have bought before get suckered in. Prices then start dropping pretty quickly and usually within a day of hitting the sweet spot a majority of the product will be sold. There is usually only junk left at rock bottom prices and my favorite was to hear "no wonder you are going out of business you don't have anything to sell..." When I went through the process it was rough because I was losing my job, but freeing because I could be a bit more liberal with the a-hole customers. Either way we shall see.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they will sell a 10/22 at a fair price now.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there will be decent prices on safes. I need to pick up a long gun safe.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Two of the GM's within 60 miles of me are closing. I stopped in the closest of the two. Guns were marked 10% off and ammo was 5% off. Getting closer to retail! Still a ways to go in my book!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder how far behind them Cabela's, Bass Pro and others are?

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Almost everything at GM, Cabelas or Bass Pro type big box outdoorsy type stores has to be 30% off to begin with to be remotely competitive with normal pricing.

Get to 50% off and it might be worth my time, butt honestly it reallly isn't.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped at the Rockford, IL store last year and found a P229R in .40S&W for $819 or so, but I couldn't justify dropping that kind of coin on anything. That was better than TGS's price, so I just tried their website to see if they had dropped the price to something I really could afford, but their website just shows the closing, no inventory info.

Not going to drive 60 or so miles round-trip just to see what they have. Nope.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
The stores are "closing", but many will re-open this fall, it seems, under new management.

"The announcement of Camping World acquiring the Gander Mountain brand means that we will continue to be a part of the specialty outdoor market. Many of our customers that depend on us for their recreational lifestyle will continue to enjoy the great products and services that have been the company’s hallmark throughout its history. We at Gander Mountain believe that our best days are still ahead of us and we ask that you join us in welcoming and supporting this successful transition. Camping World shares the same passion for the outdoors as Gander Mountain and our customers, making for a great melding of businesses and outdoor communities."

They are trying to ditch as much inventory as possible to assist in paying for the acquisition.

I'll wait for Sportsman's Guide to buy out their remaining stock and sell it even cheaper.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post