SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mass shootings, media conglomerates, and SIGforum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mass shootings, media conglomerates, and SIGforum Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I confess to being a news junkie. Over the last 3 months I’ve watched less and less news. None of the channels seem to provide “Just the facts.”
My wife comes down, grabs the controller and turns on a major network. Invariably it’s “Now several minutes talking to someone you’ve never heard of, talking about something you have no interest in.” News? It’s “Orange Mandalay bad.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree with respect to the problem of the media. I am also in complete accord with the 24 hour rule, the facts rules, the no conspiracy theory rules, the hide-the name of the shooter rule, and the no sensationalism rule.

I regret that it has come to this where an outright ban on discussion of these events is necessary. I am with Strambo, in that I have used these threads to learn how the shooters, crowds, and effective "good guys with guns" react to these events.

Good examples of these are the Pensacola Navy Base shooting and the recent Texas church shooting. I learned things about the events, how they happened and how they were stopped.

I think that knowledge has made me wiser and better prepared. This forum is the only place where I could have learned those things as the news does not report, analyze or discuss in any depth.

What we gain by forbidding this subject is that we stop feeding the media beast, turn down the societal temperature on these events, and to the extent that we are intemperate in our remarks, protect the interests of the 2A community by keeping those intemperate remarks out of the public sphere.

What we lose is the knowledge to be learned from the experienced and intelligent commentary that these threads often generate.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started reading this book on this very concerning subject / issue.

"The Liberal Media Industrial Complex" by Mark Dice.

Thank you Para

Posts: 252 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Though I'm not much of a fan, I 100% agree with Sean Hannity's comment...."Journalism is completely dead in this country". The media will say and do anything to up their ratings and draw eyes to their websites. Virtually nothing they report at this point is accurate or honest. As such, I ignore virtually everything they print or broadcast. I also agree 100% with our president's assertion that the media is "the enemy of this country". We should treat them as such.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It is no longer about reporting facts and the truth, and it hasn’t been for a long time. It’s been about selling advertising by using lurid, clickbait headlines.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Shit!!

Posts: 1541 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am convinced the corporate media is 100% the enemy of liberty, truth and America as we know it. The people who are in charge and what they report is not fact based. The reporting, ALL OF IT is agenda based and by and large every news outlet leans either left or hard left. If it bleeds it leads. Our society could be less violent than in the past but if a media outlet reports every violent act suddenly it feels like times are getting more and more violent. They can craft public perception and they know it.

The best part about the internet is that the corporate media’s digital monopoly on misinformation and lies now has a legitimate challenger. But the silver lining is that now the truth is accessible to people who are willing to find it.

Industries change over time. I want to see the evil American corporate media eventually die and some other industry replace it. Hopefully something a bit more honest and friendly towards liberty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
BTT for newer members. If you post news items in this forum, please read the first post of this thread.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged ... mea culpa.

It was the gist of my post about the mass murder here in SC ... the MSM is to blame imho. I totally agree with you. The MSM and the politicians are driving this.

ESPN is now making it a race issue ... claiming black players in the NFL do not get the same treatment for brain injuries that white players do.

It never stops, it never ends.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

Totally concur with your sentiments and actions. I enjoy being a passenger on this ship you steer. Big Grin

In my twilight years I have little patience for the sordid, corrupt, lying, biased 4th estate, the megalomaniacal anti-American globalist corporations and tech-giants, or their three letter agency partners in government. No one needs to be their echo chamber repeating their swill. A pox on all their houses! Mad

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve dropped news altogether since the elec-sham and I’ve enjoyed the sanctuary from so called news here. Only time I learn something happened is when someone on any of my firearms programs/videos mentions it.

Posts: 5999 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Well stated Para. Calling what airs these days ‘news’ is a disservice to the term of what real journalists used to present. It’s all spin with an end goal and narrative in mind. My biggest concern is the shear number of people who believe what’s put in front of them without consideration of the biases which influence what’s broadcast/printed in media.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
It was so blatantly obvious when you see how they covered the last two... The first was all about race, even though it was actually about profession...
The other was almost swept under the rug

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9070 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reminder. I know I don’t post about this topic but forgot why.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
How long-term members with tens of thousands of posts can possibly not know or remember this I do not understand. Hell, I have poor short-term memory and am absent-minded as anybody you'll ever meet, and even I can remember this one.

(darthfuster, that was not in reply to you.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
No worries. There’s a lot of water that goes under my bridge every day. So some details get lost. What I do is make a general note to myself when Parabellum states a requirement. In this case it is no mass shooting threads. Also, I try to find and read every post he makes so I don’t miss anything.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29592 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We had quit national news probably 5 years ago or more. Had it cut down to 1 local newscast at 10pm, ostensibly to get the weather and try and glean at least some fact from local news.

The Geo. Floyd nonsense caused the 10pm news became more like an afternoon talkshow, with massive 10-15 minute segments where black people talked about how they felt. We started to skip the news most nights. Got the weather online. We might tune in once on three weeks.

Then, after that the 'curve flattening' two weeks was a true game changer. Bein' that it was supposed to be a health emergency and all, we tuned in again. Twice. Mainly to see if the previous broadcast was a one off. It wasn't.
I now have a custom 5 minute recording from around 10:16 to 10:21, specifically targeting the weather segment only. It only keeps the last one recorded.

Nowadays, if we notice flags at half staff, we might look on the internet for news. Otherwise, I'm here most days...

Posts: 7227 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
Para, exactly why I am here, thank you

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Since OAN was recommended, that's the only news we watch now. My blood pressure went down.
I would, but my cable company doesn't carry it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only care for the local news…county news is too much for me.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post