SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Favorite omelet ingredients?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite omelet ingredients? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Never made one, but I eat the heck out of these.

http://www.ihop.com/Menus/Main...-Temptation-Omelette

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The baggie were then immersed in boiling water for 13 minutes, turning out one of the best omelettes I've ever had.

Jim, that's a new one on me... "baggie omelet." No question though, sounds quite interesting! Big Grin

It was a novelty to all of us at the breakfast, all ~70 yo's, some appear to be experienced eaters! I believe everyone was well pleased.

Boil in bag omelette

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Feta
Red Onion
Spinach
Tomato

AKA Greek Omelet

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
mmm give me some chili in my omelette with plenty of cheddar !!

Posts: 921 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
3 eggs - two if super large
tablespoon sour cream
3-4 med anchovies chopped
mushrooms of choice chopped med size
Cheese. (Although I love cheddar, I think Jack Cheese, Gruyere or Swiss seem to work better in this mix.
anything else you like that's not very salty

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
The boil in bag omelet is an interesting idea. I might have to try that sometime.

As to the sour cream, do you put it inside the omelet, or on top after cooking?

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7213 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
4 eggs
And
1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
mmm give me some chili in my omelette with plenty of cheddar !!

You got that right! The NCO club at Kunsan AB, Korea used to make an excellent chili omelet.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
The boil in bag omelet is an interesting idea. I might have to try that sometime.

obviously it works but how does the plastic baggy not melt?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:

obviously it works but how does the plastic baggy not melt?

Yeah!

Two dozen of us had these without a single loss to melting, so I don't know. They were good quality Ziplock baggies, 1 quart size...... so far so good!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Not everything in a single omelet, but these are things that I like in mine.
-Cheddar cheese
-Feta cheese
-Mushroom, variety
-Spinach
-Grilled onion, never fresh
-Tomato
-Garlic
-Greek olives
-Capers
-Salsa
-Beluga
-Bacon
-Sausage
-Corned beef
-Gyro meat
-Spam
-Chili
-Salmon/Lox
-Anchovies
-Black pepper
-Turmeric

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Two dozen of us had these without a single loss to melting, so I don't know. They were good quality Ziplock baggies, 1 quart size...... so far so good!

I think the quart size are freezer bags. They are heavier duty.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I like to start with some olive oil and chopped white or yellow onion. Once the onion gets going, I add some chopped or sliced mushroom. Then once the onion and mushroom are adequately braised, I add cut up pieces of country ham. Then a minute later I pour the raw scrambled egg into the pan. Once the egg is half-way cooked, I add some freshly grated cheese, preferable smoked provolone. Then fold and slide it on to a plate.

For me, cooking all the ingredients first is preferable to adding them raw on top of the egg in the pan. YMMV.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Bacon and sharp cheddar

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:

For me, cooking all the ingredients first is preferable to adding them raw on top of the egg in the pan.

Absolutely concur. I soften the raw ingredients first in a mixture of EVOO and butter. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Denison's chili (with beans! Red Face), shredded cheddar, and Tapatio hot sauce.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Not everything in a single omelet, but these are things that I like in mine.
-Cheddar cheese (or any kind of cheese except Lindbergh/Blue/Stinky)
-Feta cheese
- Mushroom, variety
-Spinach
-Grilled onion, never fresh
-Tomato
-Garlic
- Greek olives
-Capers (only with lox)
-Salsa
- Beluga
-Bacon
-Sausage
-Corned beef
-Gyro meat
- Spam
-Chili
-Salmon/Lox
- Anchovies
-Black pepper
- Turmeric

I'll add to that green, red, yellow, orange, or hot peppers.

Tweeked you list a bit, but I like where you were going.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Salt, pepper, cheese.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ham or grilled sausage.
Cheddar or Stilton cheese.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American cheese, not cheese food. Maybe some bacon.

Posts: 1161 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post