SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
What if this case sets a legal precedent .

He's a Hollywood bigshot. He's one of The Elites. The laws don't apply to him the way they do to you or me. That precedent is long-established.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alec Baldwin Settles With Halyna Hutchins’ Family After 'Rust' Shooting

Hutchins’ widower, Matthew Hutchins, told CNN...“All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident”
Yet, in a NYT article, Matthew Hutchins' lawsuit "accused Mr. Baldwin and the other defendants of reckless conduct and cost-cutting measures that endangered the crew, including failing to follow basic industry standard safety checks and gun safety rules".

So what is it? A terrible accident or reckless conduct?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Well, now that they've settled it out of court it's a terrible accident.

Wonder how much it cost old Alex to get them words changed like that?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
"Settlement" means you didn't pay what it was actually worth and you just fucked the victim again.

I truly hope he ends himself.

Mars, I have been involved in settling legal claims for more than twenty years. I have settled hundreds of matters over that time. "Settlement" means that both sides bargained over the amount involved and each agreed, in an arm's length transaction how much that one was willing to pay and the other was willing to accept. This bargaining is usually hard-nosed, and both sides are represented by counsel. It is the very definition of coming to the market price to resolve the dispute. Both sides evaluated the claim, the costs to not settle, and the risks involved - it is the very definition of an arm's length market-driven transaction.

Usually both sides are somewhat satisfied and somewhat dissatisfied. One side thinks they paid too much and the other thinks they got too little. It is an old joke between lawyers that you know you got a good settlement when both sides are unhappy.

The victim has, most emphatically, not been fucked again.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Your as wrong as two boys fucking.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Your as wrong as two boys fucking.

Tell me how. Explain yourself. And also, tell me the when you last negotiated a settlement in a lawsuit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You do realize the plaintiff (ie the victim) also has to agree to the settlement. They could refuse and roll the dice in court. They decided they didn't want to do that.

quote:
"Settlement" means you didn't pay what it was actually worth and you just fucked the victim again.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The husband had no involvement with the project, but is now the executive producer? Sounds like his lawyers negotiated a position for him where he will be able to monitor how financially successful the film becomes.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
The husband had no involvement with the project, but is now the executive producer? Sounds like his lawyers negotiated a position for him where he will be able to monitor how financially successful the film becomes.

I personally can't understand why either side would make a deal that requires them to work together, which is what this seems to be. That is a recipe for disaster, in my view.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Your as wrong

Your is wrong.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
jhe888 has accurately summed up the settlement process. While some of you don't like the known term, it's not your case, you're not the victim, and you're not the one who would have to live through a trial and the inevitable appeal. You may have not settled for a piece of the action, so to speak and that is a valid position too. But, it wasn't your case so I'd be a little less judgmental of the family and the process. If it brings them closure, it was successful.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I personally can't understand why either side would make a deal that requires them to work together, which is what this seems to be. That is a recipe for disaster, in my view.

Zackly. Trying to make sense of a move like that leads me to the three basic motives: Profit power or passion. Profit seems like the only reasonable explanation. Somehow, unless the victim's husband gets the job and the movie makes a solid profit, there won't be enough money from Baldwin to compensate hubby. Pure ignorant speculation on my part. Worth what you paid for it. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The real victim is dead. No matter how good your lawyer is, there is no settlement possible that will properly compensate the dead person for their loss. Because, you know, they are dead, and A.B. fucking killed ‘em. I will state this for the record. If some Jack wagon kills me, I don’t want his money, not for my kids, or my old lady, I want his head rotting on my front gate. That is the only settlement I would accept. But, that’s not how the world works, it should be, but it’s not.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe the husband plans to kill AB on the set. That'd be karma.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Even if the movie turns out to be a 2hs long still of a turd on a stick, ignorant people will want to see what it was all about.

And Balwin is on it. Bonus turd.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Speculation, but maybe the husband is getting a portion of profits and the position on the film is to monitor the finances.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind Alec and the husband are not hated enemies but in fact by all accounts seem to be close friends. The husband has acknowledged the shooting was a tragic accident and not Alecs fault. Alec has stated he went to see him shortly after the shooting to apologize and he grieved with the family. So this was probably for the lawyers benefit and to give the public the perception that Alec is being made to pay.

They both probably think the shooting will make the movie a huge box office draw and they will make their money off of it yet. That’s how self centered these types are.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
You do realize the plaintiff (ie the victim) also has to agree to the settlement. They could refuse and roll the dice in court. They decided they didn't want to do that.

quote:

I can assure you the victim agreed to nothing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m with Mars here, the victim is in fact the woman who got shot and died…not the plaintiff

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, you boys got to begin thinking like lawyers. The "victim" is the one in a lawsuit who deserves the cash, aka, the plaintiff.

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post