SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The plaintiff did

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
You do realize the plaintiff (ie the victim) also has to agree to the settlement. They could refuse and roll the dice in court. They decided they didn't want to do that.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
"Settlement" means you didn't pay what it was actually worth and you just fucked the victim again.

I truly hope he ends himself.

I can assure you the victim agreed to nothing.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
The husband had no involvement with the project, but is now the executive producer? Sounds like his lawyers negotiated a position for him where he will be able to monitor how financially successful the film becomes.

I personally can't understand why either side would make a deal that requires them to work together, which is what this seems to be. That is a recipe for disaster, in my view.

I suspect it is so that the husband can participate on the back end in the profits of the film if there are any. Also suspect that he is a passive participant, Exec Producer in name only, for that purpose. But, your right, if he's actively involved in any material way, it has that potential.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Given that we can't bring the dead back, the settlement process is what we have when we go to court, even though it is a poor substitute. In a death case, of course the victim is gone, so the living representatives have to act for the victim. This seems self-evident.

And this is the settlement of a civil suit, so it isn't really about punishment, either. It is about trying to use money, or other action, make up for the loss, as much as possible, even though we recognize it is a poor measure. Punishment is what the criminal system is for.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I do insurance defense work.

Here's the secret - All I can offer is money. I can't give you back your severed leg or put your life back how it was before your accident. All I can do and all I have is money. We're just arguing over how much I'm going to give you.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ What jhe888 and Flashlightboy said above. It all boils down this .. Money is all you can get so get while the gettin is good in Civil Court.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://deadline.com/2022/10/r...ta-fe-da-1235156702/

The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department has finally concluded its investigation and sent its report over to New Mexico District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies, who is reviewing details for potential further charges.

There are no immediate plans to make the report public, we hear.

“The District Attorney and her team of investigators and prosecutors will now begin a thorough review of the information and evidence to make a thoughtful, timely decision about whether to bring charges,”

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
The District Attorney and her team of investigators and prosecutors will now begin a thorough review of the information and evidence to make a thoughtful, timely decision about whether to bring charges.

Define “timely.”

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling Alec is going to go through a army of lawyers before all this is through because he is going to fire some and others will quit when he melts down and goes all asshole on them because they cannot get him completely exonerated today like he thinks he should be. Not to mention a boat, plane and train load of money.

I hope that bitch is left destitute.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think the lawsuit in question is bullshit. In this case, though, I'm all for it. Baldwin has been begging for a trainload of karma for decades, and now, it has arrived, all at once.

He pointed the revolver and he pulled the trigger. If he hadn't pointed a gun at people, no one would have been shot, loaded gun or no. This is on you, Alec.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I think the lawsuit in question is bullshit. In this case, though, I'm all for it. Baldwin has been begging for a trainload of karma for decades, and now, it has arrived, all at once.

He pointed the revolver and he pulled the trigger. If he hadn't pointed a gun at people, no one would have been shot, loaded gun or no. This is on you, Alec.

Not so sure it's a bullshit suit. The lady was standing right next to Hutchins nearly in the line of Baldwin's fire. Seen the lady get a hole opened up in her chest so there is some emotional ongoing stress involved. People have been sued into oblivion for a lot less. But as you say Alec has been giving the karma gods the middle finger for years thinking he's immune. Satisfying to know that he's finding out he's not. Bigly! Smile

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"I want money because you caused emotional stress for me."

That is a gigantic steaming pile of manure. It boils down to the first three words of that sentence: "I want money"

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
What a piece of shit.

Alec Baldwin sues several ‘Rust’ crew members for handing him loaded gun
By Patrick Reilly
November 11, 2022

Alec Baldwin filed a lawsuit against several crew members of “Rust” on Friday for providing him with the loaded gun that he fired on set, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins last year.

Baldwin, who is awaiting a decision on whether he’ll face criminal charges in the shooting, accused “Rust’s” armorer and first assistant director, among others, of negligence in a cross-complaint following a lawsuit filed against him last year by script supervisor Mamie Mitchell, the New York Times reported.

Mitchell accused Baldwin of “recklessly” firing the gun that killed Hutchins, 42, as she was standing next to her, causing her emotional distress.

Baldwin’s suit names Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the film’s rookie armorer who was in charge of handling guns and ammunition on set in New Mexico, as well as assistant director David Halls, who handed the loaded gun to Baldwin after he announced it was safe, the report said.

Sarah Zachry, the head of the crew’s props department, and Seth Kenney, who supplied the guns and ammunition to the set, were also named, The Times reported.

Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas, said the crew members did not maintain safety on set.

“This tragedy happened because live bullets were delivered to the set and loaded into the gun,” the lawsuit alleges, according to The Times.

Last week, Baldwin lost his bid to toss Mitchell’s lawsuit – one of many filed against the actor following the shooting — after a Los Angeles County Superior Court ruled that Mitchell can press on with her claims of assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence against the actor. Gutierrez-Reed and Hall are also named in her complaint.

Baldwin shot and killed Hutchinson more than a year ago on Oct. 21, 2021, while filming a scene for the independent western on a ranch outside of Sante Fe. While practicing a cross-draw on set with a replica Pietta Colt .45, the gun discharged, striking Hutchins and director Joel Souza, 49. Hutchins died from her wounds.

Baldwin, and those named in his suit, have repeatedly denied any responsibility for the shooting.

The actor said that the gun went off accidentally and that he did not pull the trigger. However, a recent FBI forensic report found the weapon could not have fired unless the trigger was pulled.

Last month, the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office completed its investigation into the fatal shooting. Criminal charges against those involved, including Baldwin, and may be imminent, pending a decision from District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies.

Last month, the production announced that filming would continue after a settlement was reached with Hutchins’ estate. Her widower, Matthew Hutchins, will be an executive producer.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/11/...ding-him-loaded-gun/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There were layers of liability here- whoever was responsible for a loaded gun to make it into Baldwin’s hand should be culpable… but that does not absolve him of his own negligence. Let them keep eating each other; the more publicity this gets, the less chance we ever have to see this arrogant ass on any filmed media ever again.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, ole Alec isn't reading this...
Alec, YOU and YOU alone pointed the gun and pulled the trigger. Stop making excuses.
Sleep well tonight, asshole.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
There were layers of liability here- whoever was responsible for a loaded gun to make it into Baldwin’s hand should be culpable… but that does not absolve him of his own negligence. Let them keep eating each other; the more publicity this gets, the less chance we ever have to see this arrogant ass on any filmed media ever again.

Yes, several people share responsibility. Typically the buck stops at the top, and one would assume that the producer(s) would have had an interest in safe procedures, and competent staff. It seems to me that Baldwin was the producer so at the end of the day he bears responsibility. Now he is just blaming the people he hired and should have supervised and trained.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
"Alec Baldwin sues several ‘Rust’ crew members for handing him loaded gun"

AB's lawyer's opening statement just writes itself.

Your honor it is clear that my client is such a dumbass that he hired a collection of dumbasses to act as armorers and such who were to handle firearms. Said Armorers knew that he was a dumbass for hiring them and that makes it abundantly clear that they are culpable for handing a loaded gun to a dumbass.

Thankyou.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I need to file my own suit. As an owner and collector of Colt Single Action Army pistols, it causes me great emotional distress to see the reputation of these fine pistols besmirched by accusations that they are capable of being fired without pulling the trigger, as alleged by Alec Baldwin.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
"Shiny" Cool

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
"Shiny" Cool

Thanks for posting that video. For those who haven't watched it, skip to the 2:45 mark to get past the early audio difficulty.

Wow. Ok, so, based on the info provided by Adam Baldwin we know that Alec Baldwin violated the SAG Safety Bulletin, along with industry protocols when dealing with guns on movie sets, which are apparently industry recognized standards. Adam Baldwin also acknowledges that, on certain locations, it's common for the cast/ crew to take some of the set guns and go shooting during their off time, which likely violates industry safety protocols, but does not violate the law, and further confirms the rumor and explanation as to how live ammo got on the set.

Based on attorney Andrew Branca's reading of law, it's fairly clear that Alec Baldwin's involvement in the crime fits the New Mexico definition of Involuntary Manslaughter, and that based on the definition, he can't transfer his responsibility for the crime to other professionals, even if they also bear some of the legal responsibility.

Also, according to Branca, whatever the reason for the DA's delay in filing charges, it's apparently not based on any legal merit.

I always thought that Alec and Adam Baldwin were brothers, but apparently they are only distantly related. I've liked Adam Baldwin in several of his movie/ TV roles but I have even more respect for him now that he has taken such a clear and firm stance on gun safety handling on movie sets and in pushing for Alex Baldwin to be held criminally responsible for this crime, and to be made an example of to try and prevent this type of negligence from happening again.

...and, he's got good taste in hats too. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post