SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chinese Olympic cheating
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Olympic cheating Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I stopped watching the Olympics when broadcasters stopped showing the competition. Now they just report on the competition with highlights. Boring. I’d rather eat my own pancreas.

I hate the coverage. It is all gymnastics and skating, which I don't even like. And they don't cover the events, they run endless stories about how Litte Miss Skater-girl got up at 4:00 a.m. to practice skating, yada yada yada.

Zackly. It's mind numbing. Do you remember when you could actually watch the international competition and root for your country? it was very exciting. At some point a globalist weenie got control and now the focus has to be on individual athletes. Can't have national pride, now can we?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If the athletes aren’t a cheatin’, certainly the judges and officials are … what’s the point of this kabuki?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this is cheating, at least not yet, but the Chinese could be requiring DNA samples from athletes coming into the country.

I say the U.S. boycott the Olympics. The Winter Olympics is the one I like to watch.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
Viewership drops 50%

Looks like NBCis losing its ass on that deal Smile

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
Viewership drops 50%

Looks like NBCis losing its ass on that deal Smile

The Olympics are not what they used to be, and the fact that China is hosting is turning a lot of people away it seems. Add in all the inclusive stupidity, cross gender bullshit, etc. and you have a recipe for people not watching- especially those of us that grew up watching and lament what it’s turned into. I’ve only watched one tandem skating event and that’s because it was on a TV in the gym and Japan happened to be beating the Chinese team.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USA should have done more than just boycott... should have hosted an alternative site and make countries choose.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
And they don't cover the events, they run endless stories about how Litte Miss Skater-girl got up at 4:00 a.m. to practice skating, yada yada yada.
That's cuz everything is about "feels," these days, rather than actual accomplishments.

We haven't watched one moment of it this time, save what may have popped-up on the local evening "news."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
And they don't cover the events, they run endless stories about how Litte Miss Skater-girl got up at 4:00 a.m. to practice skating, yada yada yada.
That's cuz everything is about "feels," these days, rather than actual accomplishments.

We haven't watched one moment of it this time, save what may have popped-up on the local evening "news."

Thats another reason I don't watch them anymore. After you take out the ads and the touchy-feely bullshit filler stories about the athletes, you have maybe 30% of airtime to actually watch the sports. Forget it.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The Olympics are on? I haven't turned my TV on in quite awile. And I never watch sports anymore either.

So just out of curiosity, did the Yankees win? Did they beat the Cowboys?

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has been glued to the TV the entire time. Figure skating. Ice dancing. Curling. Half pipe. And on and on and on.

I'll be so glad when this crap is over.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I watch biathlon and X-country skiing because I used to practice both.

Mrs tac berates me because I feel that Winter 'sports' ought to go back to their roots - the military.

1. Biathlon - skiing to patrol and engage an enemy.

2. X-country - patrol and message delivery.

Snowboarding? Just look at the equipment needed to do it - half a mile long semi-circle of perfect snow?

Downhill ski-ing? Well, first you have to get UP before you can come down.

I KNOW I'm an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy, but watching the rest of the 'games, I feel that they are just that - pointless games without a rationale.

Summer Olympics are a bit different

1. Shooting - good.

2. Running - long and short - good.

3. Jumping - good.

4. Swimming - good.

5. Archery - VERY good.

6. Javelin - EXCELLENT!

IOW, anything based on a martial necessity or part thereof. The rest - synchronised swimming, diving, beach volleyball, ping-pong - are pastimes.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as video coverage of events go, you'd get far better results by just letting a bunch of youtubers in to the events and have them post whatever they're interested in.

'Course, there's no money in that for the Olympic Committee.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just wait until the summer Olympics and we sent the guy to swim against the women.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Playing Devils advocate here for a minute. (sort of)

Let me preface that I despise China and everything they represent. And I will not be watching the Olympic Games next month.

With that being said - there are many Olympic sports that only have 6-8 year windows for their athletes. Strength events, wrestling, judo, gymnastics, etc. This results in 1-2 potential Olympic Games opportunities. Most of these athletes will not enter professional sports after the Olympics nor have significant fiscal sponsors beyond perhaps a Subway commercial. Roll Eyes

They have sacrificed 10+ years of their lives for this one shot at greatness.

I respect this a great deal and do not want to see any athlete denied the opportunity to compete at the highest level in their chosen sport. I don't begrudge them for competing in China - they don't get to choose where the games will be held and for many - this may be their only chance.

The best thing we can do, if not boycotting as a Nation, is to send our best over to China and mop the damn floors with the Red Dragon !!

This is very true. From knowing over the years several track, shooting, biathlon, and swim athletes

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Caught solo Bob last night. US gold & silver, with Canada for bronze.

Gold winner is a new US citizen that came from Canada, got her US citizenship just in time to qualify for the US team.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I stopped watching the Olympics when broadcasters stopped showing the competition. Now they just report on the competition with highlights. Boring. I'd rather eat my own pancreas I’d rather eat my own pancreas.

Eek

With fava beans and nice chianti?

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post