SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple To Abandon ... Privacy And Security "For The Children"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple To Abandon ... Privacy And Security "For The Children" Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This is surprising:
quote:

Apple Delays Rollout of Controversial Child Safety Features to Make Improvements
Friday September 3, 2021 6:07 am PDT by Hartley Charlton

Apple has delayed the rollout of the Child Safety Features that it announced last month following negative feedback, the company has today announced.

he planned features include scanning users' iCloud Photos libraries for Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM), Communication Safety to warn children and their parents when receiving or sending sexually explicit photos, and expanded CSAM guidance in Siri and Search.

Apple confirmed that feedback from customers, non-profit and advocacy groups, researchers, and others about the plans has prompted the delay to give the company time to make improvements.

Full article: Apple Delays Rollout of Controversial Child Safety Features to Make Improvements

Good that they didn't let pride and hubris override good sense, but it's too late where my wife and I are concerned. As somebody put it "Once the toothpaste of broken trust is out of the tube, you can't simply put it back."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Apple Delays Rollout of Controversial Child Safety Features to Make Improvements
Friday September 3, 2021 6:07 am PDT by Hartley Charlton

Apple has delayed the rollout of the Child Safety Features that it announced last month following negative feedback, the company has today announced.

he planned features include scanning users' iCloud Photos libraries for Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM), Communication Safety to warn children and their parents when receiving or sending sexually explicit photos, and expanded CSAM guidance in Siri and Search.

Apple confirmed that feedback from customers, non-profit and advocacy groups, researchers, and others about the plans has prompted the delay to give the company time to make improvements.

Translated:

We had no clue that our customer base actually regarded the privacy issue as significantly important, our accountants and auditors calculated the billions we'd lose in stock value as employees and decided it was better not to dilute our share values as we have Lambos, Ferraris, Teslas on order...

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. I finally warm back up to Apple and they go and do this. Frown

I don’t think the vast majority of Apple users are pedos. Treating them all like pedos is a rude, ignorant and a downright ridiculous move. It is time for Apple to get new leadership. The move to toss away privacy is going to give Apple’s competitors an advantage should they be clever enough to utilize it properly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Translated:

We had no clue that our customer base actually regarded the privacy issue as significantly important, our accountants and auditors calculated the billions we'd lose in stock value as employees and decided it was better not to dilute our share values as we have Lambos, Ferraris, Teslas on order...

Alternate version:

We need to pause to figure out how to implement without anyone knowing and if we get caught - how to spin it.
Calling a conference with the Democrats and will circle back to ya later.

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Alternate version:

We need to pause to figure out how to implement without anyone knowing and if we get caught - how to spin it.

They dare not do that. Researchers have already discovered bits of the support code in iOS going all the way back to 14.3 and already compromised the hashing algorithms. Now researchers are going to be watching iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS more closely than ever. If they tried to sneak this in the backlash would make the current backlash look like a garden party, by comparison.

quote:
Calling a conference with the Democrats and will circle back to ya later.

Democrats can't force people to buy iThings.

At least not yet...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Been keeping to date with this stuff. I picked up a MBP M1 machine and it's just been sitting waiting to migrate my data over from this 8yr old 15"MBP that has a battery swelling issue with keyboard and trackpad issues resulting from it. Never had an issue with the performance/security over the years until now and may remove the swollen battery and install a new one from iFixit and see if there is any permanent stuff to the trackpad/keyboard and keep it as a loyal backup when I get the energy to task it. We have a few Dells still in the home if I'm ready to loose Apple but, not yet.

Thank God that I've not yet seen those annoying iOS 15 updates on the phone. I definitely was going to forego that if and when it was available.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democrats can't force people to buy iThings.

At least not yet...

While Democrats may not be able to force 'people' to buy things, don't think for a second that 'Big Tech' isn't so allied with the Democrats that they wont/don't receive their marching orders from them and therefore allow the DNC to dictate what they'll do!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8941 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
giving Apple another black eye is great

they deserve it

Apple forgets that we're the consumer, and they're not our boss

I have an iphone 6 and in a few months it will get tossed and I purchased a Samsung flip phone which will now be put in service

just a phone, no data, no wifi, no texting, web surfing...

send and receive calls

if I could get it, I'd go back to my original Motorola bag phone that I had in 1994

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I give my right arm to have my old Nextel back! My company provided us with them at one point for a few years before switching back to ATT cellulars.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I had my doubts, at the time, but smschulz called it:
quote:
Bottom line Apple trust is going to get hit here, IMO.

quote:

Apple Just Gave 1 Billion iPhone Users A Reason To Stay
Sep 4, 2021,06:30am EDT
Zak Doffman - Contributor
Cybersecurity

The fact that Apple’s decision to run client-side monitoring prompted genuine questions over whether users should stick with the brand, shows just how fundamental an issue this quickly became.

This is a disaster for Apple—while hitting pause will be PR’d as listening to user feedback, the reality is that there are fundamental issues that can’t be resolved without a complete reversal of its plans. And worse for Apple, the company has now lined up behind its major rivals, following their own embarrassing reversals this year.

[Note: Emphasis added]
Full article: Apple Just Gave 1 Billion iPhone Users A Reason To Stay

Whoa! It's one thing when a bunch of tech and privacy geeks are taking shots at you, but when a major financial publication is telling you you screwed up?