SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can USPS give out my home address?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can USPS give out my home address? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I don't know if you can still do this, but several years ago the PO Box holders at our post office got a notice that they could ask UPS to deliver to the post office for pickup.

IIRC, it had to be addressed like this:

John Jones
123 Main St. (post office actual address)
Unit #### (your PO Box number)
EBF, WY 00000

You had to use the word "Unit" not "Box"

It worked the couple times I used it until I got access to a commercial address that was much closer.
Good info. I’ll inquire at the post office next time I go.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
From the UPS website: https://www.ups.com/us/en/supp...hipping-support.page

Can I use UPS to ship to a P.O. Box?

We only ship to a valid street address, and do not deliver to P.O. boxes. If a shipper uses a P.O. Box address, the recipient’s phone number must be included on the label.

What happens if I use UPS to ship to a P.O. Box?

Packages addressed to P.O. Boxes could be delayed, won’t be covered by any UPS Service Guarantee and will require an address correction charge.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have a penchant for this, don’t I?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Our local USPS does not deliver to physical addresses. Everyone must have a PO box.

We can use the street address of the post office and Unit xyz (our po box #) and stuff goes to our box no matter who the company is.

However, many or even most websites these days will not accept that format. Also it will not accept the format the USPS badgers us to use:

John Doe
Home Street address
POB 123
Town, state zip

Some things considered hazardous cannot go to a PO box, and we find many merchants will not ship anything to a PO box.

Sometimes UPS and other private entities deliver to our home, but sometimes they drop it at the USPS even when our home physical address is the only address on the shipping label.

The PO box is regularly a problem for us getting deliveries. If you want something other than your home address, I would look elsewhere.

Posts: 9438 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Copy ... either way, unlikely that the sender will receive any information on your home address.
That's good news.

I'm paranoid. While likely true, I'd probably opt to test it by sending a pkg via UPS to my POB and see what info I see using the UPS tracking system when it gets re-routed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Call any UPS store and ask them if they can deliver to a P.O. Box. It's an easy phone call.

And a pointless phone call. The UPS Store cannot deliver anywhere, because the UPS Store doesn't deliver packages. If you want to know about UPS shipping and delivery policies, you'll need to contact UPS itself.

The thing is, UPS and the UPS Store are two different entities. The UPS Stores are run as independent franchised storefronts, in cooperation with the UPS shipping network, but they are not themselves a part of UPS and have no involvement with the deliveries being made to your door by UPS proper.

That would be akin to calling your local Dodge dealership to ask them about the corporate policies of Dodge's factory production line or Dodge's R&D team. Just because that franchise business is allowed to use the Dodge trademark doesn't mean they're actually a part of the Dodge company or have any involvement with or knowledge of the design and production of Dodge vehicles.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
Call any UPS store and ask them if they can deliver to a P.O. Box. It's an easy phone call.

And a pointless phone call. The UPS Store cannot deliver anywhere, because the UPS Store doesn't deliver packages. If you want to know about UPS shipping and delivery policies, you'll need to contact UPS itself.

No, but they except packages for delivery. You would think they would know the rules for mailing packages since that is what they do.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
...and all of it predicated upon the knowledge, and diligence of each and every employee to adhere to procedure and regulations.

Yeah, all over the place with possibilities.

When I was a child, the milkman brought our dairy order to the house and left it on the porch.

I trusted the milkman.

One day I brought the metal carrier in with two quarts of milk and 1 pound of butter, pulled the cardboard stopper out of the milk bottle and poured cottage cheese into my little sister's bowl of cereal.

Yeah, it was a small thing, but I still see that as if it happened today, 60 years later.

Many years later when President Regan said: "Trust, but verify..." I knew then and know know, exactly what he meant.

"You would think they would know..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
"You would think they would know..."

Or you could check the official UPS website. And if they don't know....then who gives a shit anyway?

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I know everyone wants to preserve their privacy, but there are so many things that compromise this it's near impossible to stop. Drive around with your license plate exposed and people can find a lot of personal info including where you live. Things like your DL, Credit card etc expose a lot of information. Fill out a form at the Doctor's office and yep, all of the staff has access to your personal info. I'm not saying don't be careful with your info, but know it's absolutely not secure if you want to live a normal life.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post