SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can USPS give out my home address?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can USPS give out my home address? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Last week I did a trade on Craigslist. I used Craigslist's email exchange so the guy didn't have my actual email address. The guy couldn't meet so he sent his son who forgot a part. He said he'd ship it so I gave him the address of my business PO Box.

He sent it via UPS which normally just goes into my PO Box and I pick it up there. However, this time UPS contacted USPS and did an address update (a new address label over the original) of my home address.

Is this common practice? Can anyone get my home address by asking for it at the Post office? Or is that just for deliveries between UPS and USPS?

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPS cannot or will not deliver to my PO box. I can see UPS contacting the USPS for your home address as a favor to you. They often just send it back. I do think this may be against the gigantic book of rules the USPS has in play.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone get my home address by asking for it at the Post office

No need to bother USPS.

I would bet anyone can get your home address, especially if they know your name and city (very likely in this scenario) courtesy of a web search. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
One would hope the info goes only to UPS and not outside to individuals. I also wonder where the overlabel happened whether in front of the customer which I think is a possibility.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Because of things like this, and other problems too, I discontinued my PO box and I use my account at The UPS Store.

Costs more, but way better service.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If you own a home, it is a public record that can be searched by your name or your spouse and your street address pops right up.

Voting registration records used to contain this information as well afaik

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Ok, keeping to the original post, the sender does not have my name, phone number, home address , email or any other identifying information. The public record angle doesn't apply.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes your information is out there on the web. However, are you willing to ship an item to someone based on an internet search on the name only? How do you know you are shipping to the correct person?

Mark123- can you tell the if the first label was addressed to your PO Box?

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

Mark123- can you tell the if the first label was addressed to your PO Box?
Yes.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
... if they know your name and city (very likely in this scenario. ...
They don't have my name or city, just my YouTube channel name and PO Box number that's not at the same zip code as my home.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
One would hope the info goes only to UPS and not outside to individuals. I also wonder where the overlabel happened whether in front of the customer which I think is a possibility.

The relabeling happened locally to me. Here's what the tracking info said:
quote:
The delivery address has been updated and your package is on its way.
06/30/2022 6:30 AM
That was 3 days after it was shipped so I would imagine that the sender is still ignorant of my location.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mark.

UPS and the USPS have an agreement to deliver packages, so it is very likely USPS would provide them info for the over label.

Look up the original tracking number and see if it shows where it was delivered by address, and that would indicate if the person that shipped would know your home address.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Because of things like this, and other problems too, I discontinued my PO box and I use my account at The UPS Store.

Costs more, but way better service.
I wonder if we have a UPS store local to me. Thanks for the tip.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Mark.

UPS and the USPS have an agreement to deliver packages, so it is very likely USPS would provide them info for the over label.
Thanks. I am glad to hear my address is not just given out to everyone. I'm planning to open up the PO Box for receiving work.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
UPS cannot, by law/regulation, deliver mail addressed to a P.O. Box. Call any UPS store and ask them if they can deliver to a P.O. Box. It's an easy phone call.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
UPS cannot, by law/regulation, deliver mail addressed to a P.O. Box. Call any UPS store and ask them if they can deliver to a P.O. Box. It's an easy phone call.
Happens all the time. I have had multiple eBay deliveries to my PO Box via UPS. We've been though this on a previous thread.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
The package was sent to your business PO box with information you gave to the sender. UPS accepts the package, hands over to USPS with a new label over the old to complete the delivery. The sender knows nothing about the information on the new label ... that was just between UPS and USPS.
UPS delivered it to my house. USPS never had hands on it.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I wonder if we have a UPS store local to me. Thanks for the tip.
Take a look here: https://www.theupsstore.com/tools/find-a-store

They accept package delivery from any carrier or delivery service. Even individuals can drop something off at the store for me. The store signs for it and notifies me via text or email that they have something for me. Same thing when mail arrives for my box there, they notify me.

Advantages include safety from porch pirates, secure receiving of deliveries. The store manager has even been known to take care of perishable food items -- she has made room in the refrigerator where employees keep their lunches and soft drinks if she knows that a package needs that kind of care.

The only disadvantage is the cost, it's more than a PO box, but well worth it for me.

Other benefits like, if you have a return for Amazon, you can just drop the item off. Store will scan the QR code from your phone or hardcopy, package the return, and send it, no cost to you.

You can call the store to check on a delivery, and / or give them special instructions.

Pretty good deal; I have had my account for more than 25 years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
The package was sent to your business PO box with information you gave to the sender. UPS accepts the package, hands over to USPS with a new label over the old to complete the delivery. The sender knows nothing about the information on the new label ... that was just between UPS and USPS.
UPS delivered it to my house. USPS never had hands on it.

Copy ... either way, unlikely that the sender will receive any information on your home address.
That's good news.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you can still do this, but several years ago the PO Box holders at our post office got a notice that they could ask UPS to deliver to the post office for pickup.

IIRC, it had to be addressed like this:

John Jones
123 Main St. (post office actual address)
Unit #### (your PO Box number)
EBF, WY 00000

You had to use the word "Unit" not "Box"

It worked the couple times I used it until I got access to a commercial address that was much closer.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post