SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A cedar about 20 inches through in the back yard.
It was a slight leaner because it grew in the shadow of another tree so the ice just uprooted and rode the whole tree down.
My truck is parked even with and just on the other side of the red car.
Fortunately I don't think there is any damage.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The temperature is 5' F. I was wondering if anyone still reads Solzeneitszen, now we are living it! Lord have mercy!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-2 deg here in McKinney, just North of Dallas.

One toilet input line frozen, all other interior lines running OK.

Our electricity came on at 3:15 this morning after being off for almost 24 hours.

No problem staying warm with clothes and blankets.

The neighbors came over yesterday to make coffee (pour-over coffee maker works great) and cook food on our gas stove. They stayed most of the day with their 5-month old girl and 3-yr old boy.

Many others n the street checking on each other.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Hoping all in Texas and the Midwest soon get relief from winter's onslaught.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Sorry for the inconveniences all of you in TX are dealing with. Broken pipes and the resultant water damages suck big time.

As a silver lining, I wonder if nasty bugs (fire ants namely) and other warm weather loving creepy crawlies will have their numbers reduced due to this cold snap?

Interesting that you brought the question up. In my former life I was a crop entomologist and was working during the last bad cold snap pf '89 when it got to 2 degrees. The following growing year, we did not have much problem with the conventional pests as many of them were not able to overwinter successfully. However, the parasitic and predatory insects that kept other potential pests in check were also killed off. That year we had some of the most unusual insects that turned into pests of cotton, vegetables and fruit trees. Usually we never even noticed their presence. Just an observation.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will bet Generac is going to make a killing down here the next year or two.
We would be hosting several family members if they could only get here. Roads are horrible.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Generac will be busy for a long time. They got slammed with requests after Irma here and it took them awhile to meet the demand.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
A cedar about 20 inches through in the back yard.
It was a slight leaner because it grew in the shadow of another tree so the ice just uprooted and rode the whole tree down.
My truck is parked even with and just on the other side of the red car.
Fortunately I don't think there is any damage.

Not the Miata!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just got work from neighbors that our power is back on.
Confirmed by accessing the Ring doorbell & Ecobee thermostats. Currently 48* in the house.

Will hang out at the in-laws a bit longer & let things warm up at home before we head back.
Hoping the power stays up.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

We've lost power 5-6 times usually lasting 2-4 hours over the last few days. One of the boys loved the white stuff, the other not so much. Making the best of it.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Nice pair of chili dogs.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
^^^^^ Nice pair of chili dogs.

ba dum dum....ching!

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Dumped a solid 10-12” at our place way up here. Cleared it then went to work. I’m pooped! Hope everyone hammered by ice stays home. Not much you can do in that mess but wait until it melts - hopefully with power.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Just got work from neighbors that our power is back on.
Confirmed by accessing the Ring doorbell & Ecobee thermostats. Currently 48* in the house.

Will hang out at the in-laws a bit longer & let things warm up at home before we head back.
Hoping the power stays up.

Might be good idea to head back sooner, just in case there is a water leak.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
-2 deg here in McKinney, just North of Dallas.

One toilet input line frozen, all other interior lines running OK.

Our electricity came on at 3:15 this morning after being off for almost 24 hours.

No problem staying warm with clothes and blankets.

The neighbors came over yesterday to make coffee (pour-over coffee maker works great) and cook food on our gas stove. They stayed most of the day with their 5-month old girl and 3-yr old boy.

Many others n the street checking on each other.

In McKinney also. Had our kitchen hot water and toilet freeze. Who'd of thought putting the water heater in an uninsulated garage then running PEX into an attic would work in 10 degree weather. I shot my IR thermometer into the attic this morning and the rafters were -16. Radiation heat transfer, you know.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
In McKinney also. Had our kitchen hot water and toilet freeze. Who'd of thought putting the water heater in an uninsulated garage then running PEX into an attic would work in 10 degree weather. I shot my IR thermometer into the attic this morning and the rafters were -16. Radiation heat transfer, you know.

PEX is pretty good about freeze/thaw with out rupturing. (not 100%) but pretty good. Is the line to your stool Pexed ?

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my subdivision just west of Wimberley, Tx, I thought our water lines were freezing as our water pressure is decreasing. According to our neighbors who called the water mafia (a private water privateering firm) headquarters, there is no worry with our pressure. They have simply cut off the water to the subdivision.

I sure hope it so they could fix a leak and plan to turn it back on soon.

Not hopeful knowing how these water nazis operate.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Looks like another 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight from Houston to Dallas. Stay safe & warm!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This from my friend in San Antonio.
quote:
Fwd: From CPS Energy in San Antonio: The State has issued critical electric load warning. Grid is about to fail. Prepare! Water will go out as well so fill tubs etc as needed.
At this time CPS Energy is no longer able to protect even critical infrastructure, such as hospitals, from some level of brownouts. Please help communicate to your neighbors:
CRITICAL NEED FOR IMMEDIATE LOAD REDUCTION -
High probability ALL customers will experience outages
ERCOT is at a critical stage and in jeopardy of losing the grid.
* Rotating outages will be increasing in both length and frequency.
* Critical circuits will now experience outages. * There is a very high probability that all customers including critical customers such as hospitals will be affected.
* We have no certainty or ability to predict duration or frequency of outages during this critical stage.
* Restoration efforts have been suspended until this emergency situation has improved.
* Please reduce your thermostats to a maximum of 62 degrees
Please take immediate action to reduce your load. We are trying to maintain the integrity of the grid and avoid a ERCOT-wide blackout.
American Sign Language and Closed Captioned Alerts:

As I said earlier, I also have a friend in Bastrop. As I type this, we’re warmer than either of those places.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin who lives in Austin, she told me earlier today that she has been without power for two days, fortunately she knows someone who does have power and room for an air mattress that she and her husband can sleep on.

On the subject of power I received a missive from Evergy this morning telling me that we will be undergoing rolling blackouts lasting 30-60 minutes beginning Monday the 22nd. I’m thinking it won’t be for long, the forecast is for Sunday’s high to be about 39 and we will be seeing highs in the 40s and perhaps lower 50s after that. By the way, as I type this the temp is 10 above, which is the warmest it’s been for a few days.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post