SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country. Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Just in recent memory, one February back in the the mid 90's, we went from 8f to 80f within about 14-15 hours here in North Texas. The EPA mandated winter blend (oxygenated) fuel tends to foam badly above certain temps. The sudden warm up took out thousands of older fuel pumps when they sucked foam instead of fuel on cars and trucks with relatively low tanks. Sending the pump motors to max RPM with no liquid to cool them was all it took. Tow trucks lined up for blocks to drop them off at shops. With only so many replacements to go around, many were down for weeks and weeks.
Where did you hear this?

EPA mandated oxygenated fuels are ONLY in the summer (gotta hit R-bob RVP by May 1 in TX). The gasoline in the winter is the plain ole gasoline that has been around since going lead free.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Happy (cold) Valentine's Day!

Yes, the coldest it’s been here for a while: – 15° at the airport overnight. Still reading – 8° on my thermometer.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hope those of you in Texas get through this weather system without damage to your homes. All you can do is the best that you can do. Brutally cold up here, it’s -12° as I type this at 0730. Supposed to moderate starting tomorrow.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
71º F right now, forecast high is 79º mid-afternoon today. Overnight low 69º.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Snow in my yard today. Not deep, but snow.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Well we picked the worst weekend possible to visit Austin, all the places we had planned to visit are closed today because of the weather. So we decided to. Is it the ER as it seems the wife has a kidney stone. This has not been the weekend getaway we had hoped for haha.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ercot is warning of possible power brown outs later today. Interesting times in Tx. I'm sure some of our northern members are getting a kick out of this. But us Texans are pretty warm blooded. We don't do cold weather well!

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windy, 16°, snowing hard at 11:30p.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
They’ve started!

quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
Ercot is warning of possible power brown outs later today. Interesting times in Tx. I'm sure some of our northern members are getting a kick out of this. But us Texans are pretty warm blooded. We don't do cold weather well!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I stayed awake all night. Smow is umbelievable. Faucets were dripping all night but one bathroom faucet is not dripping cold water. This is worrisome. I am considering shuttong off the water and draining the pipes and hot water heater. The pipes run over the ceiling and I am not sure heat suffices. There is insulation that prevents clambering in the attic. Sigh...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
They’ve started!

quote:

How long did your outage last dry-fly?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I didn’t lose power thankfully but was following this and Ercot website.

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/ar...d4-99ef-025ca634925a

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
They’ve started!

quote:

How long did your outage last dry-fly?

We're going on 4 hours

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I would send you some heat if I could. I was up all night monitoring faucets. The garage and attic are surprisingly not freezing. Maybe the pipes will hold.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We're going on 4 hours

Probably about the same here in the Tyler area, went off for a bit then came back on then right back out again. I never checked the time but it’s been a while. Fireplace going now.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My buddy lives in Austin. He sent me this picture from his apartment. I35 is empty.

They got 5 inches he said.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Overnight low here at the north side of San Antonio was 7°.

That’s Huebner Rd in the pic. A normally very highly traveled street.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
We've been having double digit below zero temps, so single digits below zero would be a nice warm up.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
We have friends in the Austin area, they had 8 inches of snow, 8 degrees, and their power went out. All the money and effort you put into emergency prep is wasted . . . until one day . . .

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Our power is out here, south of Austin) for the second time today. 1st time was about two hours. Came back for 30 minutes, but is gone again.

Posts: 2015 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post