SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country. Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it seriously 3°F right now in Texas?

Holy shit!

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Holy shit!

19* here in N Houston. About 75 miles from the coast.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Interesting side effect of those super cold temps and the moist air is that wind turbines are freezing up, at this point over 50% of the electricity produced by wind turbines is down...

https://www.breitbart.com/envi...-electricity-output/

I just heard from a friend in Bastrop. Their power went out at 2:00 am this morning. Power company pointing to wind turbines AND solar not functioning.

Wait a minute - so wind turbines don't work in sub-zero temperatures with their blades coated in ice and solar panels don't generate electricity at night.

Who'd thunk it???

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
My power went out around 0430, came back on about 0500 for about ten minutes and then down again until around 1pm. Coincidently, just as I was pulling the generator out of the garage to run the fan on my NG furnace. I knew that would do the trick...shoulda done it earlier. Outside air got down to 8 degrees and inside of house was in the 40s. Probably 8 inches of powdered snow.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
^^^ Still waiting on mine to come
Back up going on 12 hours now. Frown

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Holy shit!
Now 11°F here in Dallas, going down to 7°F tonight. Slight warming projected, but won't get up to 32°F until Friday. Solid inch or 2 of snow on the ground and some drifts. Sun is out, so some of that will melt off, I suppose. My outdoor cat's water supply is frozen--I have to take out hot water for it when I feed it.

My electric heat does not seem able to keep up. Interior temperature is several degrees below thermostat setting and it's chilly.

flashguy
ETA: Now 13°F here. Hot water not working (water heater exposed to the outside and I suppose the input water has frozen, so no pressure). Cold water from same faucet is OK.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Power has been out since 0100, it was 9°. My faucets are not the freeze free kind and a bathroom toilet supply line has frozen because the line is about two inches next to the outside wall. Cant get thru to the power folks. I heated hot water for coffee on the grill. We’re up to 25° now though. And it’s 58° in the house.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Now 11°F here in Dallas, going down to 7°F tonight. ... Sun is out, so some of that will melt off, I suppose.

Not at 11°F it won't. Yikes.

I can walk around outside up here in the mountains at 11°F with nothing but a warm sweater and a down vest and be comfortable, but that temperature in places that see higher humidity just chills me right to the bones.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I was supposed to be feral hog hunting today, knowing the weather forecast I spent the night in a hotel close to where I was hunting, temp was 19 this morning. at 0500 went to the 4 Runner to warm it up, took two steps out the back door of the hotel and hit a sheet of ice, needless to say I hit the ground hard and messed up my back. Unbeknownst to me the back door of the hotel is on a slight downhill slope, also unknown to me there was water dripping onto the sidewalk and it formed a thick sheet of ice. I am not at home on muscle relaxers and pain killers. This usually takes three days to get over. I guess with the weather shutting things down and not being able to hunt there is nothing else to do. I know a few people without power due to wind turbines being down. At least I have power.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep. My electric company, Swepco, just announced that they're going to have to implement rolling blackouts of a couple hours at a time, to prevent extended blackouts in any one specific area.
Mine was supposed to be doing rolling blackouts too, but instead we've been down 12 hours and they're saying it's multiple power plants (i.e. not a transmission line problem). In other words, they could actually do rolling blackouts but aren't.

Once all this calms down, I'll be investigating a whole home generator.
Definitely not looking forward to that sticker shock.

I went with a whole house generator about 8 or 9 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. Mine gets used a lot, and we have multiple day power outages every couple of years. All of our power lines run through heavily wooded areas.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Power just came on here in Midcities area. Out since 1am.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
When I finally went outside (because its friggin cold) this is what I was treated to. Welcome to La Grange, Texas. Home of the chicken ranch.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Just got power back. Charging everything we can, just in case we lose it soon.

Posts: 2015 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
We are scouting potential homes in Pensacola and our flight back to CA (through Houston) was just canceled. FML

We just had company cancel a visit to us just east of Pensacola as they lost their Houston connection. Lack of snow removal equipment I would assume.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Just watched the local weather forecast where they predicted a low of 5 degrees in downtown Austin and possibly into negative numbers outside of town tonight.

The 7 day forecast predicting a high in the 70’s on Sunday. Texas weather, gotta love it Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the inconveniences all of you in TX are dealing with. Broken pipes and the resultant water damages suck big time.

As a silver lining, I wonder if nasty bugs (fire ants namely) and other warm weather loving creepy crawlies will have their numbers reduced due to this cold snap?

Posts: 3148 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yep. My electric company, Swepco, just announced that they're going to have to implement rolling blackouts of a couple hours at a time, to prevent extended blackouts in any one specific area.
Mine was supposed to be doing rolling blackouts too, but instead we've been down 12 hours and they're saying it's multiple power plants (i.e. not a transmission line problem). In other words, they could actually do rolling blackouts but aren't.

I went with a whole house generator about 8 or 9 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. Mine gets used a lot, and we have multiple day power outages every couple of years. All of our power lines run through heavily wooded areas.

Not in Texas, but Va. Our power went off three days ago, just came back this morning.

We had a Generac installed last year. Not only does it help in winter, we have many severe summer thunderstorms that knock poer off, sometimes for days. Trying to sleep in the middle of a hot summer night, with high humidity is miserable.

The generators are not cheap, but worth the investment, Anyone building a new home should have one instalked.

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not in Texas, but Va. Our power went off three days ago, just came back this morning.

We had a Generac installed last year. Not only does it help in winter, we have many severe summer thunderstorms that knock poer off, sometimes for days. Trying to sleep in the middle of a hot summer night, with high humidity is miserable.

The generators are not cheap, but worth the investment, Anyone building a new home should have one installed.

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The generators are not cheap, but worth the investment, Anyone building a new home should have one installed.

Same here.. got one after the Derecho and lost power for over a week..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Interesting side effect of those super cold temps and the moist air is that wind turbines are freezing up, at this point over 50% of the electricity produced by wind turbines is down...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post