SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma battery recommendations needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma battery recommendations needed Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I’d rather not just get the cheapest thing that’ll die in a couple years. It’s for a 2012 4.0L 4x4 if that makes a difference. Came back from vacation and the old one is dead. It’ll start from a jump but it’s not holding a charge. I’ve been expecting it since it’s been in there at least since I bought the truck 6+ years ago.

Thanks!

Posts: 13733 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Only a few manufacturers make batteries, and put labeling for the various brands/retailers on them. Get the one with the most cold cranking amps, longest warranty and availability of service (if you have a problem) that fits in the tray and has the terminals in the right location. I've personally had good luck with Interstate, but that's mostly because it's what the various repair shops I've worked for carry.

Posts: 27828 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I went to Costco and special ordered the Interstate Gel (AGM) battery for my 2016 4Runner. Our trucks have the same motor, and I'm happy with the choice.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The price of everything has gone way up... including batteries.

I used to have good luck buying good, reasonably priced batteries at Advance Auto Parts. The Autocraft Gold was a good line. Now, it's Diehard and the prices are higher. Plus, they used to allow an online purchase with a 25% off coupon code (which you could find easily) but now the batteries are an excluded item.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23935 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Some manufacturers equip their vehicles with a fuse that can be slid out to remove the parasitic load. This allows the vehicle to sit for 6 - 8 weeks and not drain the battery enough for the engine to not start. Check your owners manual.

As for me, my Optima red top is over nine years old.

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
My 03 4Runner had a 24 series. When I put a new one in last year I went to Oreilly and put a 27 series in.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We sell Interstate and very rarely ever have a bad one.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
What’s the deal with the AGM batteries. That’s what my wife’s vehicle uses.

Posts: 13733 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I gotta say, I've had nothing but good luck with the EverStart Maxx batteries from Walmart.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30293 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just got a new battery from AAA, the roadside assistance folks. I can’t recall the battery rating right now, or the warranty, but it’s a lot.

Since I live where AAA is all around, including their repair shops, and I have a problem, they come to me and take care of it. That’s good nation wide. I like that very much.

They were a few bucks cheaper than the usual auto parts stores.

If you’re a Costco member check with them.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
AGM batteries are great but you need to make sure you trick your alternator into keeping it charged correctly.
I used one of these in our Lexus:

https://www.arclightleds.com/c...-cruiser-pg2tb-brs6a

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Got a Duralast Gold from AutoZone. Wanted the Platinum but it would’ve been a few days til they could get it and I needed it by noon tomorrow at the latest. At least it’s got a three year replacement warranty.

Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine with a DuraLast Gold also. It has been fine so far. 3 year prorated warranty. Fairly standard from what I have found. My truck battery was dead, so I didn't have a lot of time to to a lot of research.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since I've bought a battery but I've typically bought rebranded East Penn batteries.
I try to by USA made batteries. I've seen several made in Saudi Arabia of all places.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, I gotta say, I've had nothing but good luck with the EverStart Maxx batteries from Walmart.

Same here. I’ve used one that look like they are about to fall apart and they still crank.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Get the one with the most cold cranking amps.

Actually, if you wanted the longest duration battery, you should avoid the batteries with the highest cranking amps. They achieve high cranking amps by using lots of layers of thin lead plates. These plates are not durable and break down quicker than thicker plates. A battery built with less, thicker plates , will have less cold cranking amps but with be more durable and should last longer.

I really like the Walmart Max batteries. You can exchange them at 4000 Walmart stores , all over the country. I’ve been across the country on vacation and easily warranties the battery no problem. That availability of warranty is worth something to me. Walmart has 3 year free replacement batteries , and some of the AGM batteries now have a 4 year free replacement warranty.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many options for you battery wise. There are a handful of manufacturers in the country and many more globally that make batteries for everyone that sells batteries. In other words, different brands are made by the same company. Since the pandemic, companies are struggling to build batteries and need to resort to buying batteries from other companies and countries and labeling them up as their own. Make sure you look at the label to see where it is made to be sure it was built in the U.S.A..

If you go new:

Wal-Mart is relatively in expensive, has a normal warranty, and can be exchanged nationally if anything goes wrong.

The same is true for any of the national auto parts stores. I.E. Napa, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's

If you have a farm store locally and don't travel out of your area much. Tractor Supply, Fleet and Farm and such.

East Penn has a few warehouses in Virginia and you may be able to get a 2nd or even a "rebuilt" battery.

The 2nd will have a blemish on the exterior, but the inside will be the same as a 1st. These typically have a 30 day warranty but will also be cheaper. I've used 2nds in all of my vehicles and have had no issues with them. Most last the usual 5 plus years before I need a replacement.

A "rebuilt" battery at a warehouse is usually a battery that has been on a shelf and needed to be re-boosted due to age. I believe they also have a 30 day warranty, don't quote me on that and definitely ask the person selling you the battery, and is usually cheaper still.

The 2nds and rebuilt batteries are usually, stock on hand and could be hit or miss if they have your size in stock.

We can not disclose who we make batteries for or where we get some batteries from, but look at the top strip label and it will tell you most everything you need to know.

Also if you go AGM, be sure your charging system will support the battery. They have a different charge rate than a normal flooded battery and could cause premature failure of the battery.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I’d rather not just get the cheapest thing that’ll die in a couple years. It’s for a 2012 4.0L 4x4 if that makes a difference. Came back from vacation and the old one is dead. It’ll start from a jump but it’s not holding a charge. I’ve been expecting it since it’s been in there at least since I bought the truck 6+ years ago.

Thanks!

What brand of battery is in the truck now? Get one of them. Six plus years ain't bad on a battery.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Good info, petr!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23935 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My Sienna has the Toyota branded True Start 84 month battery. Its a good battery and not expensive. 575 cca. I will replace it before Winter with the same.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post