SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma battery recommendations needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma battery recommendations needed Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, I gotta say, I've had nothing but good luck with the EverStart Maxx batteries from Walmart.

This, several levels for your price point, decent warranty and they install, or you can DIY..

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Since you have a 4x4 model, you've probably got a group 27 battery. My 2012 PreRunner had this size, but check, it could be a group 24. My current 2019 Off Road has a group 24, but when it dies, I plan on replacing it with a group 27, which will require a larger bracket.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be going with X2 Power from Batteries Plus. This is a branded NorthStar AGM battery. Pricy, but great reviews and highly recommended over at TacomaWorld.com forum.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/...l-710cca/sli27fagmdp

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Costco sells Interstate batteries.
For $99, my Tacoma got an Interstate.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I just got a new battery from AAA, the roadside assistance folks. I can’t recall the battery rating right now, or the warranty, but it’s a lot.

Since I live where AAA is all around, including their repair shops, and I have a problem, they come to me and take care of it. That’s good nation wide. I like that very much.

They were a few bucks cheaper than the usual auto parts stores.

If you’re a Costco member check with them.

Best wishes to you.

Leemur, how timely, thanks for the reminder. Been putting this off for a bit, mines been dead and garaged since March 2020. Need to call AAA like OKCGene above. I purchased all the accessories from another thread on batteries to keep it trickled charged as I just haven't been on the roads hardly at all.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Costco sells Interstate batteries.
For $99, my Tacoma got an Interstate.

I talked with the Interstate driver who was delivering at Costco. I was not shocked to learn that the Interstate that you buy at Costco is not the same as the Interstate you buy at Joe Bob’s garage. Costco and Home Despot drive their suppliers hard on price. Many of those suppliers build a product to that price point. When I worked in a garage in high school the boss swore by Interstate and I’ve been a fan since, but I won’t buy them at Costco.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Buy once, cry once. Go to an actual Interstate Battery store and buy there. Both of my Toyotas have an Interstate Battery and always will. Just my $0.02...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the battery with longest direct replacement warranty 2-3 year. The prorate 84 months or what ever is just bs.

Posts: 192 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Optima red top

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, I gotta say, I've had nothing but good luck with the EverStart Maxx batteries from Walmart.

This, several levels for your price point, decent warranty and they install, or you can DIY..
I bought a WalMart EverStart Max for my Jeep in late 2012. It still starts up just fine. Not wishing to push the envelope too much, I plan to replace it before fall. Will buy another EverStart.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Since you have a 4x4 model, you've probably got a group 27 battery. My 2012 PreRunner had this size, but check, it could be a group 24. My current 2019 Off Road has a group 24, but when it dies, I plan on replacing it with a group 27, which will require a larger bracket.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be going with X2 Power from Batteries Plus. This is a branded NorthStar AGM battery. Pricy, but great reviews and highly recommended over at TacomaWorld.com forum.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/...l-710cca/sli27fagmdp

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT GET AN X2 Power!!!!
They used to be great but Northstar got bought out and there have been tons of issues with current X2 batteries.
So bad Batteries Plus is not very easy to deal with warranty anymore.
They take the battery and test it for 3 days before deciding whether they will cover it.
They do however give you a loaner battery. If your battery comes back good by their standards you owe full price for the loaner!

I was a huge X2 Power battery fan. I have had the in 3 vehicles with no issues.
Though the new reports since the buy out are not good.
I still have one X2 power battery going strong but it is 2 years old.
My Tundra needed a new battery and decided against the X2 and went back to NAPA Legend AGM.
Though the nonAGM Legends are good if you do not want AGM.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Considerations:

o Buy a battery from WallMart: They are everywhere (Easy warranty replacement if necessary). Price is competitive, and they have a high turnover (Fresh battery)
- - Close 2nd to this ^ would be COSTCO

o Upsize or make sure the larger size is in you truck (I think group 27 was an option and/or will fit 2nd Gen Tacoma no problem)

Posts: 496 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m in the camp that there are only a few manufacturers & the batteries get relabeled. That usually puts me at Walmart.

If one were to move or a more specialized type, AGM or whatever, that’s a little different. Some original equipment batteries can last a long time but we have a Honda CR-V, original only lasted 2.5 years or so.

To me, about 4 years is the expected average, maybe a little longer. Just yesterday I put the ‘maintainer/desulfurization’ charger on the Honda overnight. There was an electrical code & I wanted to make sure the battery was up to snuff. No return of the code yet.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it. I've researched the AZ batteries as backup but decided to let the local tire place handle it when my 2013 pickup's battery was six years old. They used the DEKA 30-month battery; it's an East Penn Manufacturing battery.

East Penn Manufacturing is a private company and the world's largest single-site, lead-acid battery facility. https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
What’s the deal with the AGM batteries. That’s what my wife’s vehicle uses.

AGM is sealed and handles vibration better. 6+ years is a long run for a battery. I'd buy the same brand. If not buy the one with the longest warranty. Interstate is good.

There are a bunch of different brands and fewer manufacturers. Just because East Penn makes Deka (their own brand) and a battery for XYZ. It doesn't mean they are made to the same quality level, XYZ can ask for a cheaper built battery. 2 things to look for when comparing brands (aside from the warranty) CCA (cold cranking amps) and weight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
There are many options for you battery wise. There are a handful of manufacturers in the country and many more globally that make batteries for everyone that sells batteries. In other words, different brands are made by the same company. Since the pandemic, companies are struggling to build batteries and need to resort to buying batteries from other companies and countries and labeling them up as their own. Make sure you look at the label to see where it is made to be sure it was built in the U.S.A..

If you go new:

Wal-Mart is relatively in expensive, has a normal warranty, and can be exchanged nationally if anything goes wrong.

The same is true for any of the national auto parts stores. I.E. Napa, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's

If you have a farm store locally and don't travel out of your area much. Tractor Supply, Fleet and Farm and such.

East Penn has a few warehouses in Virginia and you may be able to get a 2nd or even a "rebuilt" battery.

The 2nd will have a blemish on the exterior, but the inside will be the same as a 1st. These typically have a 30 day warranty but will also be cheaper. I've used 2nds in all of my vehicles and have had no issues with them. Most last the usual 5 plus years before I need a replacement.

A "rebuilt" battery at a warehouse is usually a battery that has been on a shelf and needed to be re-boosted due to age. I believe they also have a 30 day warranty, don't quote me on that and definitely ask the person selling you the battery, and is usually cheaper still.

The 2nds and rebuilt batteries are usually, stock on hand and could be hit or miss if they have your size in stock.

We can not disclose who we make batteries for or where we get some batteries from, but look at the top strip label and it will tell you most everything you need to know.

Also if you go AGM, be sure your charging system will support the battery. They have a different charge rate than a normal flooded battery and could cause premature failure of the battery.

This closely mirrors my own experience/advice, albeit in the opposite side of the industry, so I'll just quote it & add a bit.
I prefer Interstate & anything made by JCI (Advance Auto, DieHard & others) because I've had good luck with them. Delco used to suck (20 years ago), but are better now.

AGM is a waste in a daily driver. If you off road and/or push it hard (lots of amp draw) MAYBE it's worth it. I say that as someone who bought 4 red-tops before I learned.

If you want to save some money, find an alternator re-build shop locally & ask if they have 2nds. They'll last just as long, but you won't pay for the warranty & adver-lying.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

They used to be great but Northstar got bought out and there have been tons of issues with current X2 batteries.
They take the battery and test it for 3 days before deciding whether they will cover it.
They do however give you a loaner battery. If your battery comes back good by their standards you owe full price for the loaner!

My Tundra needed a new battery and decided against the X2 and went back to NAPA Legend AGM.

Thanks for that. I've not heard these negative reports on the Northstar AGM. I was planning on replacement in Dec which would be 3 years on the OEM battery, so out of warranty. I usually replace them at age rather than worrying about being stuck somewhere with a fail battery, although I do carry a Lithium Battery Booster Power Pack. With this mild summer we've had (heat kills batteries) I'm thinking it will be trustworthy a little longer.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2012 4Runner I bought in 2011 with same 4.0 and I’m on battery #3 including the OEM. The OEM lasted 4+ years and since then the auto parts label battery have lasted 3+ years. Just changed the OEM in my Tacoma built summer of 16 lasted almost 5 years. I give a battery 1 chance after it dies around year 3 I get it jumped, drive down the Hiway a while and back and then see if it will hold a charge over next few days. If sluggish to start I replace. Especially the wife’s 4runner being a non manual trans that can’t be push started easy. Easier for me to replace in my driveway than on side of road or have her stranded somewhere. She’s also murder on batteries will sit with engine off and radio on for extended periods while kids are doing weekly dance/judo etc. Something I typically don’t do. Strangely enough the batteries usually have a 3 year warranty and start to go south right between 36-48 months. Anybody know who makes OEM Toyota batteries ?

Posts: 4733 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Thanks for that. I've not heard these negative reports on the Northstar AGM. I was planning on replacement in Dec which would be 3 years on the OEM battery, so out of warranty. I usually replace them at age rather than worrying about being stuck somewhere with a fail battery, although I do carry a Lithium Battery Booster Power Pack. With this mild summer we've had (heat kills batteries) I'm thinking it will be trustworthy a little longer.

Issues showing with failures in under a year on both the Tundra and Ford forums.
Both used to rave about the X2 Power until recently.
Hopefully they get it sorted out. They were once a solid battery.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I'm a Walmart battery fan. Using them for over 20 yrs. They work well and I can get them warrantied anywhere in the USA with no hassles.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Had my wife's 2017 Lexus in the dealer in September for its prior to running out of warranty check. Checked the battery and it was fine, they said, and I let them talk me out of replacing it then. Told me if it did go out, even though it has Lexus all over it, it is an Interstate.

Just be safe, I was just there again and had it replaced. Now I can not worry about my wife on the side of the road somewhere. (Meaning, I don't want to listen to that shit!)

Posts: 1550 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post