SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Congressional candidate: Moon-colonizing companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Congressional candidate: Moon-colonizing companies could destroy cities by dropping rocks Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Hmmm, this story's got a little bit of everything in it. In Massachusetts she might have a shot though!

A transgender-issues activist and Democratic candidate for Congress says the advent of the space tourism industry could give private corporations a “frightening amount of power” to destroy the Earth with rocks because of the Moon’s military importance.
Brianna Wu, a prominent “social justice warrior” in the “Gamergate” controversy who now is running for the House seat in Massachusetts’ 8th District, suggested in a since-deleted tweet that companies could drop rocks from the Moon.
“The moon is probably the most tactically valuable military ground for earth,” the tweet said. “Rocks dropped from there have power of 100s of nuclear bombs.”
SpaceX announced Monday it is planning to launch a tourism venture to the Moon in 2018.
After users on social media questioned her scientific literacy, the congressional candidate clarified that the tweet was “talking about dropping [rocks] into our gravity well.”
Small space rocks can indeed do nuclear-weapons-scale damage if hitting the Earth at orbital speeds. But launching one from the moon, even setting aside issues of aiming, would still require escaping the satellite’s gravitational field, a task that requires the power and thrust contained in a huge rocket.

One Internet wit posted on Twitter the footage of an astronaut hitting a golf ball on the moon, with the words: “Alan Shepard: FORE! [destroys Leningrad].”
Ms. Wu blamed criticism of her on sexism: “that’s the danger of being a woman on the internet!” she exclaimed.
“Like, you all can make fun of that statement, but it will still be true,” another Wu tweet said. “This is why the militarization of space is so dangerous.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com...ld-destroy-cities-b/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Read "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".

Kinetic kill vehicle from the moon? Totally doable.

ETA: doable, but not necessarily practical. Cheaper ways to do it, such as The Rod From God satellite concept.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
No Mr/Me whatever you are... That is the danger of being an idiot on the internet

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Ms. Sky is Falling Wu. Remember this face for future reference.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ms. Wu blamed criticism of her on sexism: “that’s the danger of being a woman on the internet!” she exclaimed.
Nope, that's the risk you run when you're a moron.

This nitwit submitted the following design for her own space vehicle.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I am sure she only drinks rain water instead of regular water because of fluoridation, educated at Burbulson college, home of the Rippers. Purity Of Essence is her favorite perfume.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Brianna Wu is a massive, steaming, pile of pig shit, and would be still regardless of whatever they claim to be, male, female, trans, shrimp boat, whatever. They are a terrible person.

Read up on this person, it's a hoot.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
After users on social media questioned her scientific literacy, the congressional candidate clarified that the tweet was “talking about dropping [rocks] into our gravity well.”

That one probably has even Hank Johnson scratching his head and saying "Dayum, girl!"

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Read "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".

Kinetic kill vehicle from the moon? Totally doable.

ETA: doable, but not necessarily practical. Cheaper ways to do it, such as The Rod From God satellite concept.
Yup. That book covered the subject pretty well. (Of course, it helps if one has a self-aware super computer on one's side....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike can skip stones with the best of them

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that she is a millenial ? If so it just shows how ignorant some of these millenials are and that what they learn in school shows it. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3058 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Dear Lord. Doesn't Guam have enough to worry about? Now it's not just tipping over but space rocks launched from the moon are now on the list of threats?

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Throw rocks at them.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent her an email and told her that she should team up with Rep. Johnson from Georgia and go to Guam.
He's the one that said Guam might tip over and capsize if Guam got overpopulated. :/

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/bs23CjIWMgA

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post