SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marvels Mystery Oil
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marvels Mystery Oil Login/Join 
posted
So I was rebuilding my brake calipers for my motorcycle and I had saw some Marvel's Mystery Oil on the shelf and grabbed a bottle. While I was cleaning everything I tossed the caliper piston O-rings and seal in some Marvel's and let it sit for a couple of day before I started to re-assemble.

The o-ring and seal on the right is what came out after soaking and the ones on the left are the new OEM parts I had to order because there was no way in hell they were going back in..can't believe they expanded so much...anyone every use Marvel's?

IMG_1128 (800x600)

Marvels (800x450)

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never used it like that but had a grandfather that swore by it therefore it was always present in my Dad's workshop.

Probably the two best uses I ever found for the stuff was when i was rebuilding an old Honda SL350 motorcycle my Sunday School teacher gave me in 6th grade:

1) Tank was a mess inside from sitting so we poured MMO in and tossed in some gravel. Shook the shit out of it every so often and when we drained it it was night and day. We then soaked an old sheet in MMO and stuffed it into tank to keep it from rusting while I rebuilt bike on paper route money.

2) Same bike, old beat up chain. Soaked in MMO for a few days that hung chain to allow all oil to drain and stored in oil soaked towel. I do not think it was an O ring chain.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I never used it like that but had a grandfather that swore by it therefore it was always present in my Dad's workshop.

Probably the two best uses I ever found for the stuff was when i was rebuilding an old Honda SL350 motorcycle my Sunday School teacher gave me in 6th grade:

1) Tank was a mess inside from sitting so we poured MMO in and tossed in some gravel. Shook the shit out of it every so often and when we drained it it was night and day. We then soaked an old sheet in MMO and stuffed it into tank to keep it from rusting while I rebuilt bike on paper route money.

2) Same bike, old beat up chain. Soaked in MMO for a few days that hung chain to allow all oil to drain and stored in oil soaked towel. I do not think it was an O ring chain.

well chit...that reminds me...I soaked my o ring chain in it too.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
NTSB Blames it for a plane crash

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Seriously! Someone just decided to add oil to aircraft engine fuel‽

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Seriously! Someone just decided to add oil to aircraft engine fuel‽
Yep and tgey were bad at math too as dumping a quart into an 18 gal tank isn’t 1 part per hundred.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a quote from the NTSB report.

quote:
The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it to lube my firearms after cleaning.
Works for me.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Nor-cal | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I can remember seeing this used on vehicles that weren't running well due to valve seat issues/sticking valves from sitting,etc.
This would be uh... some years ago. People used to leave Jeeps/Land Rovers in hunting camps and they would sit for months and sometimes years without being turned over. Valves would stick and this was the the cure-

Here was the technique used on conventionally aspirated engines- you would open the hood and remove the air filter, take the container holding Marvel Mystery Oil and begin slowing pouring a thin stream into the carb throat with the engine running at idle. The engine would immediately begin generating a lot of smoke (this was used on pre-cat exhaust systems).
The engine would also begin to sputter and begin to drop in rpm. You would pour just the right amount in order to keep the engine just on the edge of cutting out. Once you had poured around a pint you would cut the engine off and let it be for thirty minutes.

It would start up with a bit of smoke, but I have seen it benefit engine performance after this routine. From a rough idle to a smooth idle. (I was also told you could do virtually the same routine with automatic transmission fluid). But I always saw this performed with Marvel Mystery Oil.

This is similar to the "fogging oil" technique for storing engines.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don’t know why you would put a brake seal into that.
EP rubber isn’t compatible with that type of product just like Buna rubber will swell up and eventually break down in brake fluid.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Cool. So you can make your own for pennies.

quote:
Originally posted by dlcchp:
I use it to lube my firearms after cleaning.
Works for me.

Rem Oil and Hoppes Lubricating Oil are mostly mineral oil too.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I put some in my 99 Chevy Tahoe years ago (following instructions). Tahoe broke down the next day I ended up putting new fuel pump in it.

Never used it again.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But has anyone personal experience with adding it to engine oil? A few in the clubs around here swear by it for old pushrod engines, I haven’t tried it myself.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
No petroleum on brake parts

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have added it to my lawn tractor, snow blower 13 year old car.

quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
But has anyone personal experience with adding it to engine oil? A few in the clubs around here swear by it for old pushrod engines, I haven’t tried it myself.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’ve had great luck using a mix of 50% Marvel Mystery Oil and 50% Hoppe’s #9 to clean carbon deposits out of the bore the piston rides in on a P7M8 that was having trouble loading up and becoming difficult to cycle. It never would have occurred to me, but a smith who happens to be a member here suggested it and it worked like a champ.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I’ve never added it to oil, but use it to fog the boat engines for winter layup.

14 years, so far, so good!

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
MMO has its uses, but not in brake systems. Never, ever put petroleum-based anything on a brake hydraulic system seal, or exactly that will happen. Only use DOT3 or 4 brake fluid. (No DOT5 either except for a few specialty uses.) There are also special caliper assembly lubes. Similarly, when you finish using a container of brake fluid, destroy and shit-can it to eliminate the possibility of some other fluid being put in it and subsequently finding its way into your brakes. You're lucky to only be inconvenienced and have to buy new caliper kits. I have seen a number of car brake systems come to some serious grief when, for example, the master cylinder gets mistaken for the power steering.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Mazda B2200 that I would us a oil flush every three oil changes. I skipped doing it and the valve started tapping until the motor warmed up. Added 8 ounces and it freed them up in about a day.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I used it sometimes in engines that were poorly maintained. I haven’t used it since I discovered Seafoam.

Seafoam is now my do-everything-miracle-in-a-can.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post