SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree identification help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree identification help Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Frayedends nailed it with Devil's Walking Stick. Personally, I'd trash it. They do smell pretty good in the summer but otherwise pretty useless. I've got about 5 I have to get rid of and they're a pain in the ass to kill. Might have to go see what my dad has left over from the 80's when shit still worked Wink

Thanks Frayedends I'm thinking it needs to go. The area where it is was logged a few years back and my intention was to let native trees sprout and take over the brambles and grasses. But I'm fighting invasive stilt grass, multiflora rose, and autumn olive.
I'll deal with it, like the olive tree pictured, with my tree puller attachment.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I could use a machine like that. Nice.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Autumn Olive is planted by the VA Highway Dept. for soil erosion along the roads. They should be responsible for the spread to other areas. It can take over a field in short order.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
where did you get that tree puller?

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Autumn Olive is planted by the VA Highway Dept. for soil erosion along the roads. They should be responsible for the spread to other areas. It can take over a field in short order.

They should!
Invasive species such as olive, multiflora rose, barberry, Japanese stilt grass, etc. are a real problem.

Here's the tree puller I have, made in China but the only reasonable price one I could find.
https://www.palletforks.com/sk...ape-tool/198110.html

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I'm still thinking TRIO's ID of sumac is the best one. But I'll study it more before I decide whether to get rid of it.

Thorns on trunk. WV. Devils walking stick. Sumac no thorns far as I’ve seen. Locust thorns not on trunk. If I could post pics on phone I’d do it. Check it out.

While I agree that the plant in the OP's photo could be Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia Spinosa) it would take more info and better photos to help with the ID, certain species of Locust do have thorns on the trunk.

Types of Trees With Thorns (Pictures and Names) – Identification Guide

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Picture This app indicates it is Devil's Walking Stick (Prickly Ash)

Posts: 1052 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What is devil's walking stick good for?

The Cherokee used the Devil's Walking Stick in many different ways. The crushed roots were used as a salve for sores. An infusion of the roots was used to promote vomiting. It should be noted that the Cherokee used vomiting as a way of cleansing the body. Jul 21, 2016

So you have that going for it....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I used a rope tied to the base of the tree or shrub and a four foot 2x6 board. The board is placed close to the shrub vertically with the rope over the top and anchored to your trailer hitch.

The board acts as a cantilever to apply an upward force to pull the shrub out.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I used a rope tied to the base of the tree or shrub and a four foot 2x6 board. The board is placed close to the shrub vertically with the rope over the top and anchored to your trailer hitch.

The board acts as a cantilever to apply an upward force to pull the shrub out.

Very clever!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post