SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tree identification help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tree identification help Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
In an area that was cleared I'm trying to determine what trees to leave and which ones to pull. Any idea what this is? It does have a few thorns on the trunk.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing a hawthorn. There's a lot of different species.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Posion Sumac is my guess

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
A little hard to tell for sure, but looks like hedge apple (Osage Orange).

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Not Hawthorne, not Sumac.

Opposite branching and leaves. Haven't got time to trace it further at the moment, but fairly certain you have some young saplings of some variety of Locust.

Bit of a pungent wood, and no fun to cut/ split... but it does burn nice and long if you heat with it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Kinf of looks like a black locust to me assuming that the location actually is WVA. Fall color is a little off, black locusts around here are usually pale brown in the fall, not the purplish brown in the OP's picture, and the leaflets are usually more round. Spines on the trunk are consistent with this identification as well.

Is the picture of one plant or two? The upper part looks to be different than below.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Red branches I'm thinking Sumac.

Yes northern WV. Locusts around here the leaves turn brown by late July.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Some kind of wild plum?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Good question… I’ve always wanted to know as well. Those things are all over the side of the road on mountain cuts around here. They seem to get about as large as a redbud and have gorgeous fall foliage.

I just looked up POISON SUMAC on the interweb. I concur. Poison Sumac.

On second thought…

Could be staghorn sumac…which is NOT poisonous.

If this is a dry area and not swampy/moist, chances are it is staghorn sumac.

https://www.thespruce.com/pois...aghorn-sumac-4772349

This message has been edited. Last edited by: x0225095,

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I use an App on my phone called "Picture This." Take a picture of the leaves from a foot or so away and it will tell you what it "probably" is. It's usually correct, perhaps off if there is similar derivatives of the plant.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have another app, Seek that also does a good job ID'ing trees and plant life.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I downloaded your picture and let IOS tell me what it is using the built in photos app feature to identify a plant. According to that app, you have a European Beech.
On an iPhone or iPad, open a picture of a plant, select the icon that has an exclamation mark, then select “Look up-plant”. It is an extremely useful feature when you are out walking and want to identify flowers and trees.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
European Beech? That doesn't sound right but I'll try one of the apps tomorrow.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Posit sumac with thorns? He said there were thorns...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Devils Walking stick

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I'm still thinking TRIO's ID of sumac is the best one. But I'll study it more before I decide whether to get rid of it.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Devils Walking stick

That's what the phone app I tried indicated just before dark but I never heard of Devil's Walking Stick before?

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Frayedends nailed it with Devil's Walking Stick. Personally, I'd trash it. They do smell pretty good in the summer but otherwise pretty useless. I've got about 5 I have to get rid of and they're a pain in the ass to kill. Might have to go see what my dad has left over from the 80's when shit still worked Wink

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I'm still thinking TRIO's ID of sumac is the best one. But I'll study it more before I decide whether to get rid of it.

Thorns on trunk. WV. Devils walking stick. Sumac no thorns far as I’ve seen. Locust thorns not on trunk. If I could post pics on phone I’d do it. Check it out.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post