SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everything and everyone is in a funk
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everything and everyone is in a funk Login/Join 
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I live in Colorado. The politics here for a freedom loving gun owner are for shit. The commies from Denver and Boulder have decided to ruin the entire state in the name of trying to head off the next mass shooting event. I mean, what the fuck? National politics? Who doesn't love having a retarded dipshit running the country, am I right?

It's been a pretty cold winter so getting the bikes out has been difficult, but Spring and Summer are just around the corner. Looking forward to getting the Street Glide out and getting some miles in the saddle. Baseball season for my 9 year old grandson is about to start and I just love that,

I spent some time in Arizona last week with my daughters and granddaughters and that was enjoyable. Went to my first Spring training game in Peoria and had great seats and it was a beautiful day with family. Worked for 8 days straight when I got back though.

So, a little bit of funk and a little bit of fun around here. Situation normal.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I told my wife yesterday that I can't understand what happened. Two years ago we were stroking along just fine then Bam it seemed like our world turned to shit. Lots of home repairs, well had to be rebuilt, appliances going out etc. Then health problems for both of us. Wife said it seemed like we got old overnight. Biden's inflation is killing us. Try to be positive but The only thing I seem to be able to be positive about is it's probably going to get worse. At least we live in a solidy conservative state.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Well, sorry to hear that so many feel this way.
My life is actually fantastic.
Of course I don’t watch the news I prefer to read it on line so I can skip the items I know will infuriate me.
I believe the media & especially social media brings the polarizing issues into our homes, our world.
But if I step outside my front door I don’t actually witness those things first hand.
When I go out into my neighborhood & town I don’t see those radicals gaslighting people.
While I may be lucky not to live in a large & liberal city I’m going to guess most here don’t as well.
Even my liberal neighbor & I have lots of pleasant conversations as we don’t ever bring politics into our chats. I find we have more in common with our local, neighborhood & community issues than we have contention.
In reality all of my neighbors care about the same day to day things like our roads, the lack of school bus drivers, the new pool going in at the park; etc.
It’s only when someone lets the polarizing political crap into their lives into their homes letting it live in their brains giving it oxygen that it then controls them.
That then drives the negative attitude.

Getting a real grasp on reality can seriously change a person’s perspective.
If you think your life is bad go to a larger city & visit a burn unit.
You feel your life is dog shit visit a children’s cancer center.
Life may get aggravating but we’re all going to be dead soon, by focusing on the positive & getting some perspective we can get back to enjoying our lives.

I don’t close my eyes to the bullshit going on in the country I swore an oath to but I refuse to permit my displeasure to control my life & attitude.
I write & email my Congressmen, call them & sign the petition’s…..
And then I get back to the amazing life I’ve worked hard to build.

I hope everyone that’s feeling funky gets their head around it and pulls thru.
It’s been a bit of a bummer here since Covid (& in a lot of places) but I’m anxious to see it get back to the “way of the gun” level of joy I have enjoyed here.

I wish everyone here Good Karma !!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We got Fudge Ripple, Boysenberry, Rum Raisin, French Vanilla and Chocolate.

The rest of us are just gonna sit here and stare at you while you eat it.

So Boysenberry might be a bit of an issue, without some lead time, but I have a connection for the rest. Big Grin

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I suggest stop caring about the news, and swimming in the ocean every afternoon

That sounds great!
The closest ocean is over 900 miles…

The closest ocean is 900 miles away!!! Poor planning there my friend! I am fortunate to live on a spit of land ten miles wide with the ocean on one side and the Chesapeake Bay on the other. It is often too cold to swim, so I go boating.

If water does not float your boat, I have concluded that the outside of a horse is very good for the inside of a person. Other animals are also effective substitutes.

Don't take the news seriously. It is a cosmic joke. I put my faith in God and thank him for the entertainment. And the freezer full of delicious ice cream.

Fair winds and following seas to all.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
If you think your life is bad go to a larger city & visit a burn unit.
You feel your life is dog shit visit a children’s cancer center.
Wow, OK.

Let's get something straight. I know you mean well, but you do not need to say things like this to me or to anyone here. You are talking to men who are, on average, not young. We have seen and done and had good times and bad. We do not need lectures like this about people in burn units and terminally ill children. Apparently, what I said in this thread has been misinterpreted by some of you.

Just what makes you think I am telling you that I feel like my life is shit? Just what makes you think I am telling you that I think other member's lives are shit? I was talking about and I am talking about the current state of our society, and I pity anyone who doesn't understand that society is in a bad way right now. It's glaringly obvious- obvious every day. Anyone who thinks that this means that I am saying that I am having a miserable life, needs to think again.

I have had a great career doing something I loved- photography, in various forms over the years. I have been on the inside looking out and I have been remarkably fortunate. I have a home and an angel of a wife, and my life is stable. Two and a half years ago, I dodged the widowmaker. I was very lucky and am very lucky to still be here. You think because I've commented on the dire state of our world, that that means I have not been happy? You have no idea. I know how fortunate I have been- both through making my circumstances fortunate and by sheer luck. I have been very lucky.

Untold numbers of the members here can say the same, and yet, they understand what I meant in my posts in this thread.

I did not anticipate a handful of members coming into this thread, to tell we miserable wretches that they, unlike we, are happy, and we damn sure don't need to be lectured about the unfortunates of this world. When members come into this thread to tell us that they are happy, I see members who are missing the point of what I was trying to convey. To deny that our world and our country finds itself in a bad way, is to be blind.

Even with all I've written in this post, I feel as if I'm not properly conveying how this kind of stuff strikes me. There's not a man here that needs your sympathy, or anyone else's sympathy, and it feels like what I was trying to accomplish in this thread has been misinterpreted to a great degree, because I damn sure wasn't anticipating some of the responses I've seen in this thread. No one in this thread was looking for sympathy. That is not what I was trying to get across, and I damn sure wasn't saying that I have had an unhappy life, because I have had it good and I still have it good. Most members here will tell you the same.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic has this in his signature block, but it deserves more attention. Claire Wolfe put it very succinctly:
quote:

“America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.”
I think we may be approaching the "shoot" option closer every day.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
“If you’re happy and you know it, slap a Commie? If you’re happy and you know it, and you really want to show it, if you’re happy and you know it slap a Commie”

Big Grin

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
It's often difficult not to feel the funk. I stopped watching the news for the most part and started to actively seek positive vibes and people. When I was on patrol, my partner and I did this "Good deed for the day" thing. Everyday while working I'd go out and try to do at least one positive thing such as not writing a ticket if I had the discretion, not locking up an individual for a minor offense, or helping a person in need. I find it helps.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I hope my post didn't imply That we think all is lost. It's just when you have to replace your hvac, water well and all your appliances in one year and every discipline tells you how prices have gone up 20 to 35%. Then you and your wife have spinal problems at the same time it's tough not to feel at least a little dejected. I still love my wife of 44 years. have 2 great dogs, look out over my lake drinking coffee in the morning and relish seeing the turkeys and deer coming across my property. But the injustices being forced into our world are hard to stomach. The absolute discrimination against female athletes by the transgender crap, the overbearing push against all of us to restrict our rights to live, prosper and protect ourselves if we have to. And Biden trying to sell our country to China through attrition quite frankly pisses me off. Then the fact that our elected officials do everything but represent our interests is difficult to swallow. However I,m going to take some advil and enjoy what I can of this rainy day. God Bless you all and stay safe.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Bumping the thread to say, "today was a great day."

The weather was beautiful, I got to spend a couple of hours kayaking with my "other brother," and I'm sitting on the porch now with a nice beverage and a mild breeze. The neighbor's beagles are quiet, the birds are chirping, and I have tomorrow off from work.

I'm warm enough, cool enough, certainly well-fed. Today on the river I got a few minutes to watch three does and two fawns play and eat nearby. I set all of the daily worries and piddles aside and got to stare at the water and the trees.

I'm neither a saint nor a Bible scholar, but today brought Psalm 118:24 to mind: "This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it."

Toss that funk aside for a while, friends. Today has been a beautiful day.

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ You're in the wrong thread, my friend. Go here. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
... and I've got people like Q to point me in the right direction when I screw up! Even better! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maple walnut, please.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
That Rum Raisin sounds pretty good.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23948 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I thought you only had Rum Raisin after Sea Bass (sauteed), Potatoes Au Gratin, and Asparagus.

What movie? What movie? Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've done. I have disconnected. Not surrendered, but I have learned what I can change and what I can't. I still declare true principles when it makes sense to do it, but I have moved on. I know that in spite of all of the broadcast talent boldly stating truth for decades and all of the political successes the Right has made here and there, the overall trend of the culture is slipping Left. I cannot change that so I have decided not to stress, but to prepare.

We have observed historically everything Leftism touches, it destroys. I can see that it is a contagion that can destroy our culture and dissolve the union. It pits brother against brother, husband against wife, parents against child and neighbor against neighbor. I remember when I was young, the culture was unified by and large. Water was wet, the sky was blue and everyone recognized sound truths. Leftism has divided us so that few can see the same thing and perceive it the same. It is irreparable by man and administration. The only solution is consequence; the kind that caused the fall of Rome. It's the kind that looks to be causing the fall of America. I can't change that. You can't change that.

But you can prepare. You can study what happens when a civilization collapses and plan and prepare for it. Find people of like mind and network with them. Insulate and isolate. Examine the things you need daily, weekly, monthly and annually and assemble those things. Start with the most immediate needs and work from there. Use your network of peeps to coordinate. I say all of this because as a rule, the fall of civilizations can get ugly and there's no predicting what follows.

I don't mean to be alarmist nor pessimistic. I just know that when one is prepared for a thing there is less to fear of that thing. I also know that the greater the faith a man has, the less he fears. If things crumble, it will be hard enough to watch. No need to throw your or your family's peril in the mix.

To illustrate my point, I remember at the beginning of the covid response a local and predominant religious organization made an announcement that triggered panic buying at the grocery stores across the State. I happened to be in the store to buy a six pack of Dr. Pepper. As I walked the aisles I observed people with trains of carts clearing the shelves with wide eyes. All I needed was my six pack of Dr. Pepper. Mrs DF and I have been storing our necessities for decades ahead of this so we literally needed nothing. It was like walking in an alternate universe. We had nothing to fear.

Anyway, I am at peace with current events. I don't like seeing them and wince at the drift of the culture; a culture that has stolen two of my sons from me. But Mrs. DF and I are prepared and we have faith.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Here's what I've done. I have disconnected. Not surrendered, but I have learned what I can change and what I can't. <<snip>>

Basically the same here. I battle depression on a daily basis, and I take good medication to help the issue. However, I have recently reached a point where I cannot continue with things as they are without causing irreparable harm to myself and family, so I must disconnect!

The biggest issue is the upcoming 2024 election, and what the evil leftist shit-heads are attempting to do to the best president I have had in my lifetime! While I most definitely WILL vote for Trump if he is the Republican nominee, I also cannot currently handle the stress of following the daily shit that is being dumped on him! To maintain my sanity, I have reluctantly chosen to quit following politics as much as possible and simply vote for Trump come November 2024... or whoever happens to be in his place if it comes to that!

Have I given up? No... not a chance! But my current mental health requires that I back off of the current shit-show from the DEMONcrats until the next election! Mad

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Run Silent
Run Deep

Picture of Patriot
posted Hide Post
For me, it hits me as an anxiety and tension.

I have tried to cut back on the news outlets and surfing political sites, but I also want to stay informed.

Like someone above said, it feels like we are too far gone…more anxiety.

The one thing I take comfort in is knowing that there may have been times in the past when people felt like this, and the tides have, in fact, changed. That gives me hope.

Posts: 6978 | Location: South East, Pa | Registered: July 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

The rest of us are just gonna sit here and stare at you while you eat it.

Boysenberry? Who the heck picks Boysenberry? Now, I want to try a trial run and I have no blessed clue where to find boysenberries/can’t even think of the taste of them.

Big Grin