SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everything and everyone is in a funk
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everything and everyone is in a funk Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I don't mean the good kind of funk- gettin' down in the disco. I mean funk funk. Bad funk. Dreary funk. Funky funk. So funky, bad funky, chunky monkey.

You got yer normal funk- February funk, the doldrums, but now we're into March and the funk marches on.

I saw a remark in the comments section of a FoxNews online story. The commenter lamented that everything is politicized now, and it's like living in Hell. I think they may be on to something. There was a time not too long ago when this wasn't true, but the leftists and agitators of the world, the disaffected and perpetually angry, and those who want to pull down our society are doing their worst to ruin everything and set one side against the other. Men are women, women are men. Woman can no longer be defined. Transvestite freaks in the girls bathroom, Men kicking women's asses in women's sports. Everything is racist, including those things that aren't.

Our society is sick and miserable, and it seems like it's even seeping into this forum We complain all the time, seem happy about very little, and even though there seems to be, in fact, very little to be happy about, I wish we could find a way out of this maze. Members seem to be posting less, and much of what is posted is unhappiness. I'm certain this forum is not unique in this respect. It seems that all of society is covered in the poison of the sick leftists. It's very to difficult to get away from their poison, unless one withdraws from the world.

Lincoln's comment about a House divided cannot stand- that it must become all one thing, or all the other- I believe this is true. The problem is that history doesn't move quickly most of the time, and we find ourselves between the winds, like America was in the decades before the Civil War. This interval of more than four decades- it's a long enough time that people were born into it, lived their lives and died with it still going on, so that those conditions were the only thing they knew.

Looking at this- being aware of history repeating itself in the same slow motion- it would be a miracle if a man could contemplate these things without becoming hopeless. I don't have an answer. No one has an answer, I think.

What's the point of all this? Merely what's on the page, a few observations, and also to say that because we find ourselves in this unhappy land, we have to try to make the best of it. The question, I suppose, is how to go about it. We can't live in the happy past, and lots of the past wasn't so happy, but it certainly seems like it was a better country a while back.

Thanks for reading this.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve thought a lot about this recently, as I’m sure most members of this forum have. Many members on this forum are far more intelligent than I am so I’m interested to read their thoughts on the matter. I personally am concerned about the future.

I like my life a lot and want it to continue. It’s a pretty easy life compared to the lives of pretty much everyone in the history of humanity.

But I keep two quotes close to heart. The first:

“Hard times make hard men. Hard men make easy times. Easy times make easy men. Easy men make hard times.”

I firmly believe that we are in the latter part of those times.

The second:

“I’ve got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4-wheel drive, and a country boy can survive.”

I take some comfort in the fact that I have the tools and the ability to survive hardships. And even more comfort in the knowledge that I’ve passed those skills on to my kids so that they can survive too.

And until those are needed I just try to live life one day at a time. I truly treasure every moment I have with my loved ones and while I prepare for a bleak future I try not to worry about it too much.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not much I can add or subtract from the OP.

Regarding my own struggles, I got myself a copy of "The Daily Stoic" back in January of 2019. It has been read more than once since then.

If not joy, I've at least found comfort in practicing stoicism.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I wish I could disagree but I can not. Confused

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Can’t argue with anything you said Para. Were I a younger man I’d be far more worked up about the deluge of bullshit raining down on our heads every day. But…I’m more mildly irritated than anything. Maybe more than a bit miffed.

With age has come some perspective for me. I’m taking care of what I can and (mostly) letting the rest of the world spin out as it will. I’m doing what I can to be as self sufficient as possible. If the world goes to shit I’ll be able to take care of me and mine. If things take a turn for the better then I’m currently set up to be in good shape.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The only thing I could add is that they only have influence over our day to day if we give it to them.

I see a lot of people that say that they never will trust the media, and they turn right around and post some article that is incendiary And largely unsubstantiated…….from a media source. Articles from any media source is suspect and few are legitimate even from trusted sources. Why? Because it isn’t about the news. It isn’t even about the information. It’s about monetization. No one is above it.

It’s a system that is set up to be that way. The left uses that system to wear down their opponents. You repeat a lie enough it becomes truth. And their tactic works. Look at how they managed the Biden laptop if you need an example.

People need to unplug more.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how deep the poison Para spoke of has penetrated into society. You literally cannot get away from it unless you do as noted and become a hermit and/or ONLY speak with like minded people.

Obviously social media is not only deeply penetrated but its spreading the poison.

College campuses are dead as they are in so much chaos they are barely functional. Lord for bid you have a different opinion than the left there.

As someone single I admit i use dating sites and they are also infected with this poison. I can't tell you how many ladies piqued my interest only to 'click X' or 'swipe left" due to any of the following:
- NO MAGA
- NO TRUMPERS
- If you voted for Trump, swipe left
- LIBERALS ONLY
- Antifa, BLM, Social Justice Warrior!!
= NO Conservatives
- NO RIGHT WING!!!
- If you aren't woke, you need counseling so leave me alone

Employers are equally penetrated by this sickness. I feel sorry for some as they are caught between two opposing forces. They sort of need to follow the main stream otherwise they'll get called out and everyone knows what happens then.
1) They have to go 100% left
2) They go out of business

In my life I've always avoided discussing religion and politics whenever possible. Politics is hard to avoid as EVERYONE wants to know where you stand. You just never know if you're walking to the arms of friends or a trap.

Democrat run cities are sliding into third world status but as long as they keep spouting the left mantra and blaming Trump and MAGA the lemmings seem to nod and agree, having no idea how they are being lied to. It's hard to watch.

I can't tell you how many people my age say they'd rather go back to the 1985-1995 period when politics were more moderate, people were more civil and polite, music was awesome, and life in general was more simple and enjoyable.

... and that's all I have to say about that.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The powers that be are well on the way in destroying our society but they've yet to provide their vastly superior alternative so we'll have to wait for things to get better, so much better. Roll Eyes So yeah, until then, funk.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion, the only way to stay sane in a world gone mad is to celebrate the good things around you.
A loving wife and close dear friends, people who hold doors open for you at stores and say “Thank you” when you do it for them.

In the big cities this is rare, in smaller towns it’s the norm. I moved from the Hell Hole that is Maricopa County to farther North. It has been a blessing!
If the rot that is the goobermint craps the bed, and this seems more inevitable every day, I’ll have to deal with it.
Until then, I’m going to try and find more enjoyment in my life.
Life is too short to worry about what some pinhead 2000 miles away has on their wish list.

Some may say this is a myopic way to look at current events and they may be right. But worry about tomorrow steals enjoyment from today.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If we can get Trump or Desantis in and maybe get the senate, things will be better. We can control the narrative and begin to believe in this great country again.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Funny you should post this because I'm starting to fell it lately, and that's out of character for me.

Posts: 622 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The only thing I could add is that they only have influence over our day to day if we give it to them.

<snip>

People need to unplug more.

Precisely. My wife is addicted to TV news and I mean that in the most literal sense. She sits in front of the TV virtually all day and gets all wrapped around the axle over what she sees and hears. I've tried to point out that A) you can't believe everything (some might say "anything") you get from the media and B) there's little or nothing you can do about it anyway so why torture yourself?

Her response: "But I need to know what's going on!"

George Herbert said, "Living well is the best revenge." I think that's excellent advice and I intend to live as well as I can as long as I can, vote my conscience, and to hell with the rest of it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.

Sam: It’s all wrong
By rights we shouldn’t even be here.
But we are.
It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo.
The ones that really mattered.
Full of darkness and danger they were,
and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end.
Because how could the end be happy.
How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad happened.
But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow.
Even darkness must pass.
A new day will come.
And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Those were the stories that stayed with you.
That meant something.
Even if you were too small to understand why.
But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand.
I know now.
Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t.
Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

The question, I suppose, is how to go about it.

Thanks for reading this.

I'm not as old as some folks here, but certainly not as young as others. I celebrate every morning that I wake up on the right side of the grass, my grass, my woods. So long as the insanity doesn't cross the property line, I'm fine. Some would say I'm a recluse. I say that I wholeheartedly agree with your post and choose not to participate. I'm more self-sufficient than most, and that helps tremendously. I leave the property to vote and pick up an occasional order at the feed store. I don't argue with folks because I don't see many. What I know about what's going on comes from this forum and I rarely go looking for anymore. My animals are my entertainment and my company, and they always agree with me. (except on butcher day)

I like life this way. I don't belong in a society where the law backs your decision to identify as whatever you please, so I guess maybe I am a recluse. When the fight comes, and it will eventually, I'll be there if still able. Until then, fair warning, don't cross the property line.

Posts: 641 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm 57, which probably puts me in the late middle of the age distribution here.

I've lived through the end of Vietnam, and it's accompanying disruptions; I've lived through the oil shocks of the '70s. The Cold War; mid '70s inflation, and the stock market crash of the early '80s.

After school, I survived the recession of '91, where I couldn't find a professional job, and worked as a carpenter before joining the Army. I lost a job in the .com collapse, and subsequent events of 9/11.

I survived a divorce, and an incredibly toxic work environment.

I found a wonderful partner, have projects that interest me, and a family that loves me.

Reagan was "the Happy Warrior" and so am I.

I will never give up, and I will never give in.

I am a fighter. I will fight for myself, my family, those whom I care for, my beloved country, and what I believe to be right. I am backed by thousands upon thousands, republican and democrat, liberal and conservative, who agree with my point of view, and I have faith in Almighty God that sustains me. I will be triumphant.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everything and everyone is in a funk

That's a good way to put it.

The Bulk of This Population Has Been Rendered Mentally Harmless by the Elimination of Individuality

By Gary D. Barnett

https://www.lewrockwell.com/20...on-of-individuality/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24114 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
All walks of life seem to be down in the dumps lately.
It would seem that a lot of folks I come into contact with are impatient and/or angry.
Para, I'm sensing the same vibes as of late.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Staying away from all the network news shows and talking heads has been helpful but it still permeates almost every subject in some way.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
To quote a line from a Don Henley song; "How can Love survive in such a graceless age."

I wish I had an answer for that, but I don't. Of late I just seem to be wrapped in melancholia; I wear it like a cloak.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The internet has brought a lot of good things to us but it also has allowed some people, ideas, and opinions, that we would dismiss out of hand in person, to appear electronically in our homes and by doing so, to attain some kind of status or attention that is undeserved. Somebody said something like "the internet lends respectability to uninformed opinion". When I get out of the house and am out in public, people are still generally civil and friendly - at least in Oklahoma. I think the funk is electronically generated.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post