SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everything and everyone is in a funk
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everything and everyone is in a funk Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggest stop caring about the news, and swimming in the ocean every afternoon

That sounds great!
The closest ocean is over 900 miles…

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Not an option for everyone, but I suggest stop caring about the news, and swimming in the ocean every afternoon - best way for me to spend an hour out of every day
Or, if there's no handy ocean or lake nearby, a hike in nature or even a walk through the neighborhood or a nearby park.

The weather around here isn't conducive for it (not for me, anyway) right now, but, late last year I discovered the joy of walking after I joined a step challenge. Once my legs became a little conditioned I found walking very Zen-like. I'd just get moving and let my mind wander about wherever it wanted. Interestingly: I did not lose SA. In fact, in that state, it may even have been heightened.

I find physical activity a balm for the soul Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26007 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'm not in this so called funk. All in all life is good. Sure there's serious issues with our current leadership, but until next election there's not much we can do about it, so I bitch a little and move on to things I can control. Only negative for me at this point is aging. I have all the time in the world these days, but can't do half of what I used to. My mother said it a zillion times (what a smart lady) that "if you don't have your health, you've got nothing, so don't worry about what others are doing (IE drugs) and take care of yourself" We kinda listened.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Mostly everything and mostly everyone with the exception of a few people..." is an awkward subject line, don'tcha think?

If you're happy and you know it, post it here.

If you're happy and you know it, post it here.

If you're happy and you know it

Make sure SIGforum surely knows it.

If you're happy and you know it, post it here. Razz

Posts: 107251 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That post makes me happy....and chuckled.

Like everyone else, we sure have shit to get us down. I try to look on the bright side and I do have a ton to be thankful for! I have to remember that and should take a deep breath every morning I wake up. I also get pissed at the little things, but again, it's small potatoes compared to what people have to endure. We really do need to...or should try to remember the good things in our lives.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Americans are only at their absolute best,
When circumstances appear to be at their absolute worst.

What percentage of Americans were in this same "funk" during either of the financial depressions or either of the world wars ?

It's a self induced funk.

It's no worse than the crime rate the education problem or homelessness.

We could cure all three in five years.
But we wont

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54499 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I got in my own ass last year and made some changes, shut some stuff off, and refocused on my passions in life.

I stay in pretty good shape but doubled down last November. I told myself, you can increase intensity in your workouts. You can eat even cleaner. It led to putting on 25 lbs of muscle over the winter. Now my riding suits don’t fit and I have to buy all new gear to ride. Positive problem to have for me. Now I’m replacing gear, searching for the best deals for my armored suits, and getting ready for riding season this year. Even though the locusts have moved in and are ruining my country twisty roads out in the sticks I’ll make the best out of it. More excited for this riding season than any year past.

I got rid of a few people in the inner circle too. One has an anger management problem and I just got tired of it. Another had a drinking problem and I told that person I’m all done with dealing with that as well. Get positive or GTFO. Heard enough whining and bitching during the pandemic and just tired of listening to it. If you have an income, your health, a roof, a vehicle, gas in the tank, and groceries in the fridge, complain less. You could be in the ground like my only family member who got it and died from it. Bitch less, every day above ground is a good day.

Then I also decided that I cannot control my current living situation. A million people per year have moved here every year for the last 5-6 years. Have millions of people come move to your area and see how much you like it. Instead of bitching about it all the time I’m actively looking for land in a particular area and have been for 6 months, ready to buy at a moment’s notice. I just turned down 10 acres because it was too remote. No ISP or cell service and I need ISP service for work. But I remain positive because I researched, analyzed, visited in person, and that’s taken me 5 years to figure out. My land agent says to be patient, it will come, so I’m doing just that. I hate where I live today but thinking about where I’ll be living has been so positive. I’ve talked to Morton a few times, going over costs, garage space, living space. Just knowing when I sell I’m done owning a traditional house, pool, for life. Barndo life is going to be a very welcomed change. Having my own gym in the garage, and tons of space to work on vehicles, a wash bay, a lift, and being able to at least shoot pistol on my own land. Finally I’ll have room for Dillons too, and roll my own. It sucks that none of this is right now but looking towards the future and living where I want has given me a very positive outlook.

My 50th is at the end of the year and I’ve been saving for a couple of years for a particular performance car that is affordable. But I still want a large down payment as I hate large vehicle payments. I’m finally where I need to be in savings for it and the allocations are going to start coming in the next 30-45 days which means I may finally get my car in June time frame. Having saved for a few years for this and selling my last performance car in 2019, the 4 year drought may be up. Really excited for this but if it takes until 2024 to get it I’m good there too as I will just continue to save.

Just bought my first new firearm in like 5 years and waiting for it to ship. Zastava. Looking forward to modding it. And ammo, at least 9mm, is finally getting decently priced again to start stocking up.

I see all the negative things and here locally society is going into the gutter and it’s not going to get better. I’m seeing what Gen Z does and how they act when they populate places like my old cineplex I used to go to, or any of the gyms. My only counterpunch is to move, go rural, and that’s all the control I have. Control what you can and let the things you cannot control, go. I’m focused on my goals, my passions in life, and fuck everything else. Even got a little side business ready to start up to help fund my move and relocation. Life is good.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12567 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I have been in a deep funk for a long time now; just an overall feeling of despair. Seeing a new counselor today to hopefully fight back the depression a bit that comes with it.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4547 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm happy.

I'm retired, we have enough money to live comfortably, we live on 4 acres in a VERY small, rural village so relatively few people to bother us, we have no debt outside a car payment, our loved ones are all within a couple of hours of us, our health is overall very good, and we can do pretty much just as we please on any given day.

Now if I could just wean Mrs. PHPaul off that damned TV...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Well thank you, If you're happy and you know has popped into my head more than once today. Smile

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Got another happy one here! Somebody get him his balloon and ice cream cone.

What flavor you want, man? Uhh, the ice cream cone, that is. Don't eat the balloon, please. Big mistake.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're happy and you know it, post it here. Razz

I'm happy. I've got a new job in the works! Smile
And I have a solid two-year plan to get my financial house back in order, to boot. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13424 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We got Fudge Ripple, Boysenberry, Rum Raisin, French Vanilla and Chocolate.

The rest of us are just gonna sit here and stare at you while you eat it.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"Grant me the the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I must say this to myself 12-16 times a day but it's working. Learning through repetition to consciously let things go that you cannot have any effect over is bliss. That goes for politics, people's opinions, or anything related to "news".
The powers that be can and will do whatever they want with or without my knowledge of it and my need to stay "informed" only caused my blood pressure to rise and keep me in a bad mood. I haven't read or watched any of it since May of 2020 and don't feel as though I've missed a thing. In fact, I feel like I dropped a bad habit like smoking. Life goes on and I can just concern myself with things that are within my realm of influence.
What I do concern myself with is my health and fitness, improving my mental and emotional health, travel, and enjoying new hobbies like cooking and mountain bike riding.
Those are things I can make choices on and have some control over so the rest I let go.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My hobbies are eating and lying down.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Grant me the the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

My wife is in AA and has repeated that saying to me for the 18 years she's been sober. I truly appreciate that.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We got Fudge Ripple, Boysenberry, Rum Raisin, French Vanilla and Chocolate.

The rest of us are just gonna sit here and stare at you while you eat it.

I'd LOVE to pig out on ice cream. Bring on the Rum Raisin and Damn the Torpedoes!

(Have a wheelbarrow full of Tums on standby...)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We had torpedoes but we done fired 'em all off.

posted Hide Post
In just several more weeks the snowbirds will be leaving Tucson.

That, puts a smile on my face.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I barely register on the funk spectrum.
I consider myself pretty damn fortunate.
Not worrying or even concerning myself with b.s. that I can't control makes low funk levels easier.

That being said,
It's imperative that I
Steer clear of sad stuff .
As my empathetic
Nature will suck me in.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54499 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post