SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old car ID, and Ft. Recovery OH info?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old car ID, and Ft. Recovery OH info? Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted
Can anyone ID this car? The woman in the front seat died in 1917, so that puts an upper bound on year.

I'm also trying to find any information on the Ft. Recovery Hardware Company of that time, which is on the poster on the front of the car.

The car was in a parade, probably in Toledo, OH. Those are my relatives in the car, who lived in Toledo.

Thanks!

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Looks like an Auburn Model B touring. Probably 1910 - 1915 model year.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have your grandmother's or uncles names?

Posts: 157 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fort Recovery, Ohio is 133 miles from Toledo so a fair bit of distance there. I expect that picture was of a parade in Fort Recovery or a larger local community. Because at that time most of that drive would have been on dirt or gravel roads because that area still is Farm Country.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ft. Recovery Hardware Company was incorporated in Ft. Recovery, OH on August 29, 1910 with a Capital of $10,000. Owners/officers were: Anthony Rathweg, H.B. Plagemann, H.B. Rathweg, Mary Rathweg and Carolina Plagemann.

Posts: 157 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drew136:
Do you have your grandmother's or uncles names?

Yes. The driver is Frank Harris who founded and owned Harris Toy Company in Toledo. They made cast iron toys.

The woman in the front seat is his mother, Hannah Hall.

My grandfather's handwritten memoir states that Frank and his wife moved to Ft. Recovery for a short while at some time after he sold his company in 1907, then came back to Toledo. Ft. Recovery seemed like an error, confusing another town Ft. Defiance where some other family was from. But now this photo has Ft. Recovery on the poster which seems to confirm my grandfather's recollection.

Basically I am trying to figure out when and why Frank went to Ft. Recovery in order to fill out the family history a bit better.

Identifying the car is a bonus bit of information to include in the biography.

Posts: 9400 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Early Model T Ford, probably 1909,

Radiator has the shape of a Model T, as does the elongated fender tips, and the side mounted square running lights, elevated rear seat, same head lights,

1909 Model T Touring

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Ft. Recovery Hardware Company was incorporated in Ft. Recovery, OH on August 29, 1910 with a Capital of $10,000. Owners/officers were: Anthony Rathweg, H.B. Plagemann, H.B. Rathweg, Mary Rathweg and Carolina Plagemann.

Wow, very cool information! Thanks.

How did you find that? I searched the interwebs but could find nothing at all. My skills are deficient.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Don't think it's that Model T, OP Picture shows frame rails protruding toward the front below the headlights. Model T photo does not have those.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like Harris Toy Company was bought up in a toy company consolidation in 1902. I'll keep looking.

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks like Harris Toy Company was bought up in a toy company consolidation in 1902. I'll keep looking.

I've got pretty good info on the toy company, thanks.

Frank sold it in 1907 and stayed on for some short time as manager. He also owned a couple of other companies that made safes, metal wheels, and metal tubes.

How long he stayed on after 1907 is not known, but he was living in Toledo in the 1910 census as a homeowner, and I know in the 1910's at some point he bought a candy company there.

There are a couple of good sources on the toy company, including a museum and historical society, plus some books. Old Harris toys are desirable collectibles.

posted Hide Post
Wow. They have pretty good write-ups on Findagrave. I'm not sure about the car...but I don't think it's a Model T. Radiator doesn't seem to match up.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Don't think it's that Model T, OP Picture shows frame rails protruding toward the front below the headlights. Model T photo does not have those.

Agreed, looks like the steering linkage(?) is below & ahead of the front axle on the B&W photo, and above it on the above Model T photo.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mutedblade called it, it's an Auburn touring car.

Posts: 52 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Auburn Model B touring

Agreed not a T, there are some style differences like the radiator and frame..

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
He did. Here’s a pic of one from Pebble Beach found at the website linked below:

allcarcentral.com

It says “Auburn” on a diagonal upward slant on the upper corner of the radiator. In both pictures, you can just see a portion of this.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Could it be a Reo?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
The knowledge and resourcefulness of Sigforum is amazing! Thank you all so much.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree about the Auburn.

The fenders on the Auburn match, and the Model T's do not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post