SIGforum
Old car ID, and Ft. Recovery OH info?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2980088394

August 04, 2022, 10:18 AM
Fly-Sig
Old car ID, and Ft. Recovery OH info?
Can anyone ID this car? The woman in the front seat died in 1917, so that puts an upper bound on year.

I'm also trying to find any information on the Ft. Recovery Hardware Company of that time, which is on the poster on the front of the car.

The car was in a parade, probably in Toledo, OH. Those are my relatives in the car, who lived in Toledo.

Thanks!

August 04, 2022, 11:54 AM
mutedblade
Looks like an Auburn Model B touring. Probably 1910 - 1915 model year.

August 04, 2022, 12:27 PM
Black92LX
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
August 04, 2022, 12:42 PM
Drew136
Do you have your grandmother's or uncles names?
August 04, 2022, 12:46 PM
Scooter123
Fort Recovery, Ohio is 133 miles from Toledo so a fair bit of distance there. I expect that picture was of a parade in Fort Recovery or a larger local community. Because at that time most of that drive would have been on dirt or gravel roads because that area still is Farm Country.

I've stopped counting.
August 04, 2022, 12:46 PM
Drew136
The Ft. Recovery Hardware Company was incorporated in Ft. Recovery, OH on August 29, 1910 with a Capital of $10,000. Owners/officers were: Anthony Rathweg, H.B. Plagemann, H.B. Rathweg, Mary Rathweg and Carolina Plagemann.
August 04, 2022, 12:48 PM
Fly-Sig
quote:
Originally posted by Drew136:
Do you have your grandmother's or uncles names?

Yes. The driver is Frank Harris who founded and owned Harris Toy Company in Toledo. They made cast iron toys.

The woman in the front seat is his mother, Hannah Hall.

My grandfather's handwritten memoir states that Frank and his wife moved to Ft. Recovery for a short while at some time after he sold his company in 1907, then came back to Toledo. Ft. Recovery seemed like an error, confusing another town Ft. Defiance where some other family was from. But now this photo has Ft. Recovery on the poster which seems to confirm my grandfather's recollection.

Basically I am trying to figure out when and why Frank went to Ft. Recovery in order to fill out the family history a bit better.

Identifying the car is a bonus bit of information to include in the biography.
August 04, 2022, 12:49 PM
HRK
Early Model T Ford, probably 1909,

Radiator has the shape of a Model T, as does the elongated fender tips, and the side mounted square running lights, elevated rear seat, same head lights,

1909 Model T Touring

August 04, 2022, 12:50 PM
Fly-Sig
quote:
The Ft. Recovery Hardware Company was incorporated in Ft. Recovery, OH on August 29, 1910 with a Capital of $10,000. Owners/officers were: Anthony Rathweg, H.B. Plagemann, H.B. Rathweg, Mary Rathweg and Carolina Plagemann.

Wow, very cool information! Thanks.

How did you find that? I searched the interwebs but could find nothing at all. My skills are deficient.
August 04, 2022, 01:00 PM
Sailor1911
Don't think it's that Model T, OP Picture shows frame rails protruding toward the front below the headlights. Model T photo does not have those.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
August 04, 2022, 01:03 PM
Drew136
It looks like Harris Toy Company was bought up in a toy company consolidation in 1902. I'll keep looking.
August 04, 2022, 01:11 PM
Fly-Sig
quote:
It looks like Harris Toy Company was bought up in a toy company consolidation in 1902. I'll keep looking.

I've got pretty good info on the toy company, thanks.

Frank sold it in 1907 and stayed on for some short time as manager. He also owned a couple of other companies that made safes, metal wheels, and metal tubes.

How long he stayed on after 1907 is not known, but he was living in Toledo in the 1910 census as a homeowner, and I know in the 1910's at some point he bought a candy company there.

There are a couple of good sources on the toy company, including a museum and historical society, plus some books. Old Harris toys are desirable collectibles.
August 04, 2022, 01:15 PM
Drew136
Wow. They have pretty good write-ups on Findagrave. I'm not sure about the car...but I don't think it's a Model T. Radiator doesn't seem to match up.
August 04, 2022, 01:16 PM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Don't think it's that Model T, OP Picture shows frame rails protruding toward the front below the headlights. Model T photo does not have those.

Agreed, looks like the steering linkage(?) is below & ahead of the front axle on the B&W photo, and above it on the above Model T photo.

The Enemy's gate is down.
August 04, 2022, 02:14 PM
Poppi
Mutedblade called it, it's an Auburn touring car.
August 04, 2022, 02:34 PM
HRK
quote:
Auburn Model B touring

Agreed not a T, there are some style differences like the radiator and frame..
August 04, 2022, 02:42 PM
trapper189
He did. Here’s a pic of one from Pebble Beach found at the website linked below:

allcarcentral.com

It says “Auburn” on a diagonal upward slant on the upper corner of the radiator. In both pictures, you can just see a portion of this.
August 04, 2022, 03:02 PM
YellowJacket
Could it be a Reo?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
August 04, 2022, 03:05 PM
Fly-Sig
The knowledge and resourcefulness of Sigforum is amazing! Thank you all so much.
August 04, 2022, 03:42 PM
jhe888
I agree about the Auburn.

The fenders on the Auburn match, and the Model T's do not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.