SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A better name for a README file
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A better name for a README file Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I name mine “ACHTUNG”. That’s descriptive, and an alphanumeric sort will likely list it first.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but not everyone speaks German. “_README” should solve the ordering problem.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use "!!Readme!!.txt". It stands out and the A-Z sorting puts it before A's.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason why Hogans Heroes should be mandatory in 20th century history classes. I definitely picked that up from the show. But it was only in my travels to Germany that I learned what Ausfahrt meant!

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
I use "!!Readme!!.txt". It stands out and the A-Z sorting puts it before A's.

An interesting thing about your post TRIO… I notice that the quotes around "!!Readme!!.txt" are straight quotes (ASCII 34). When I have such quotes in a post the forum mechanism changes them to slanted quotes. E.g., “Now is the time”.

How do you keep ‘em straight?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
"DONOTREAD!!!"

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
"DO NOT READ!!! or permanent Death may follow "

There, fixed it for you, now everyone on the planet will read it.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
"DO NOT READ!!! or permanent Death will follow "

There, fixed it for you, now everyone on the planet will read it.
There, fixed it for you. This is also a true statement. Of course, permanent death will follow whether anyone reads it or not.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Aren't all deaths permanent, or have some of us found a way to "re-spawn"? Big Grin

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good thing about a README.md file is that most code repository systems will render it in their user interfaces, making for easier documentation that will more likely be read. Which, is sort of the point.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking are there any consumer programs now that still uses readme files? I don't think most people didn't even read readme file.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
My README (ACHTUNG) files are for my own benefit. Usually info about files in the directory where they reside.

Serious about crackers