New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today’s Lunch Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Man that looks good! Love me some good southern cooking...it's hard to get up here in the midwest.

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
My grandmother made a good living growing okra, snap peas, Silver Queen corn, tomatoes, mustards, collards and turnip greens after she retired.

Pardon the slight drift...

Absolutely lubs me some okra.

Love okra!

Love that stuff.

Yum.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fried, not boiled. It's been a long time since I've had fried okra. That's real down hom.

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great. I'm not the biggest "greens" eater, but I do like them. I like mustard and turnip greens the best, with bacon of course and as little shake of my rub in there. My pup girl goes completely nuts over it. It's hard to even cook it as she is begging like crazy.

I have a rack of ribs that I'm wanting to smoke, but it's been raining almost every day for the last two weeks.

But when I do smoke them rubs, I'm torn between Hopin' John's or BBQ baked beans. There will be mixed greens and corn bread, and potato salad.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fried, not boiled. It's been a long time since I've had fried okra. That's real down hom.

Indeed. Total comfort.

We also have them Japanese style, with soy sauce, and no complaints from me Smile

Part of the fun of growing one's own is picking them when they are just right for supper.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Skins, how about turnip greens?
Oh, yes! A lot of restaurants here serve those, and I like them a lot.

My mom used to can her own greens mixture: spinacy, mustard, turnip, collard, poke salad, and swiss chard. It was GOOD.

Your dinner looks great! I'd want the cornbread to be not-sweet, and I'd leave off the vinegar (don't like it), but it does look good.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My supper this evening:

Primary item was a vegetable stew: half black beans, half collard greens. Seasoned with cumin, turmeric, salt, black pepper, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce. Good! Nutritious too, but that’s secondary.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I can almost spit across the Mason Dixon line

Easy fer you to say. I kain't even figur out where it is. Except some wheres out front. In the middle of the river, or on the yankee shore line.

Water's too cold to swim it, and why would I want to. When the wind is wrong, you can smell 'em (yankee's).

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:

Indeed. Total comfort.

We also have them Japanese style, with soy sauce, and no complaints from me Smile

Part of the fun of growing one's own is picking them when they are just right for supper.

Funny that you should mention this ^^^, as I picked some of my okra yesterday, and after seasoning it(whole pods), it went on a hot grill with a nice Country Style Rib and some freshly pulled red onions!! I was a happy camper!!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, ya can't get much more Yankee than me without a passport, but I do like okra!

Breaded and fried or boiled in soup. Black-eyed peas, fresh onions and cornbread makes a damn fine meal too. Not a huge fan of cooked greens, but I'll eat some to be polite.

When I was stationed in Pensacola, the church I was attending had a fish fry. Catfish, of course. Yum-YUM! but I dang near got lynched for not caring for hush puppies...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15245 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yep... the local Cafe, less than a mile away, re-opened and we were there to grab a couple of the specials, meat and three. $9.99 + drink.

I got the catfish, white beans, fried potatoes, fruit cup, pan fried cornbread and sweet tea. Mary Ellen got the hamburger steak, mac and cheese, green beans, creamed corn, pan fried cornbread and lemonade. It was good, no, it was very good!

Support your local family owned businesses!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hot damn. If he reaches for your mac and cheese, Mary Ellen, stab his hand with that fork! Razz

Posts: 107633 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

Funny that you should mention this ^^^, as I picked some of my okra yesterday, and after seasoning it(whole pods), it went on a hot grill with a nice Country Style Rib and some freshly pulled red onions!! I was a happy camper!!

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar Smile

posted Hide Post
I love some fried okra. Problem a some places is breaded too much, but that’s still better than no okra.

As for greens... some of the better of late has been Cracker Barrel. They use smoked turkey to season instead of the hamhock Mom used.

Do we take this to sliced, fried sweet potatoes?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love any fried okra, but momma always used corn meal for breading, and fried it in bacon fryins!!! Some folks use flour for breading, and it isn't as good to me......but I still eat it.

Of course, it is against the law to make gumbo without adding a good bit of okra to it. Damn, I am getting hungry just talking about it!!

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Okra seeds going in the ground tomorrow.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Looks good but you got a lot of real estate left on that plate, son!

Yeah, mix it all together!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Kind of off topic, but I saw this video a while ago and I've been itching to try it. Pork belly burnt ends. This dude knows his shit when it comes to BBQ.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
A can of Armour Vienna Sausage original and Club crackers,glass of orange juice.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Okry on the grill?

Don't quite know what to think about that.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post