Main Page
The Lounge
Runners, how much mileage do you put in your shoes before getting new ones?Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
Oriental Redneck![]() |
I’ve been running for close to 50 years, have completed marathons in my early thirties, have run in shoes much longer and have worn them out worse than this pair. It’s just that I’ve never measured mileage to match the actual wear and tear until now. So, it was a fun exercise to document it. The decision to get new shoes after 1k miles is just arbitrary because honestly, I have no issues continue with this pair a little longer. The five-hundred-mile limit may apply to many of you but is way too early for me. Have yet to experience any knee/leg/foot injuries after all these years, and there will be no “orthopedic surgery”. Btw, new pair of Nimbus 27 is coming in two days. I buy their model a year behind. Cheaper (and the discount is even bigger near the end of the year) compared to the current year model. But the caveat is, it’s harder to find them. This is where AI comes in very helpful. Plug in your model and specs and AI spat out several leads in less than a second. Q | |||
|
| Internet Guru |
You are blessed with structurally rugged feet. I sometimes prefer a specific year's version of a shoe model. For instance, I'm still buying Saucony Kinvara 12's even though they are up to 16 in the series. For people that do like to track mileage, I envision a wear indicator or pedometer built into the shoe! | |||
|
| Member |
You're gonna break your legs!!! What are you a Doctor or something??? Eight years to retirement! Just waiting! | |||
|
Member![]() |
Gel Nimbus 28 really improves outsole durability. It is far more comfortable than the 27. I get no more than 240 miles before comfort is compromised. 210 pounds, 12 minute pace. ------- Trying to simplify my life... | |||
|
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best![]() |
I've never calculated the mileage, but I run a mile and a half 4-5 days a week, and walk another 3-9 miles depending on the day with the dog (less on work days. Because I work 12s and simply don't have the time). I also hike quite a bit and have done several multi-day trips this year. I like trail-runners for hiking, so I wear the same shoes for all of it. I've been through 3 pairs this year and am now on my 4th. The first was a set of Columbias that I really liked , but they lacked arch support and gave me Plantar's Fascitis, so those had to go. I replaced them with a pair of Keen Versacores that only lasted about three months before I wore the tread off and was down into the foam. I replaced those with a pair of Adidas Terrexs that were really comfortable, but after a few hiking trips in Wyoming and another in Alaska, the soles of those are wiped out, too...the tread is gone and I can feel the bottoms of my feet getting pounded when I run. Currently I'm about 40 miles into a 200 mile trip on the Camino Primitivo in Spain with a month-old pair of Saucony Expedition 17s (enough time to break them in before our trip without wearing them out). I'm not in love with these shoes...they don't breathe as well as the Adidas or the Columbias, and the toe box is tight. They also don't grip very well on wet stone or concrete...I just about ate it 3 or 4 times the first morning coming out of Oviedo. They are doing ok in the dirt, and the tread seems to be made of harder rubber. It's not wearing as quickly as the others, which may be directly tied to how poorly they grip on hard surfaces. ----------------------------------------------------------- Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer. | |||
|
Oriental Redneck![]() |
And the 28 is what I’ll get next year, after they release their latest, the 29. I’ve read that folks complain the 27 was too heavy, so they made the 28 lighter. Not sure what they mean by “heavy”, because running in any Nimbus to me feels like you probably are running on clouds. Q | |||
|
Seeker of Clarity![]() |
I would also offer the steep hills make a difference. And climate. Grind a set through a western PA winter training for an early spring marathon and surfaces break down faster. I can absolutely feel the difference on the hills, between a new set and a set with 700 miles. I wear Brooks exclusively. They're very soft, but I could believe that they don't survive as well as other brands. So my low mileage target mentioned earlier is sort of tied to those realities. | |||
|
| Member |
I just did the math and determined I run about 1000 miles/year, meaning each pair of New Balance 880s gets 500 miles before retirement. Some of mine go straight to yard work, others become summer/ spring /fall daily wear around shoes (after washing, of course).This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund, | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|
Main Page
The Lounge
Runners, how much mileage do you put in your shoes before getting new ones?
