SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Runners, how much mileage do you put in your shoes before getting new ones?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Runners, how much mileage do you put in your shoes before getting new ones? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
I have run in the Asics Gel Nimbus model forever. Love the Nimbus for its famous cushioned ride. This year, I actually kept track of the exact mileage of the new shoes (Edition 27) since the beginning of the year, and I've run 206 days and just went over 1000 miles. The cushion is still great due to its massive midsole, but the wear on the outsole-into-the-midsole where I land the heaviest (being a heel striker and supinator) is pretty significant. I think 1k miles is time to get new shoes. What about you?

ETA: Shoes spent 99.9% of the time on the road.










Pic grabbed from internet to show the bottom when new:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,


Q






 
Posts: 31441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
When I ran routinely is was about 500 miles.

Which unfortunately was about 10 weeks back when I was in shape.

I usually bought the cumulus, whatever version they were on at the time. The asics are nice.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8039 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Your shoes are toast! Big Grin

1,000 miles is a lot - I typically get less than 500 on my road shoes and around 350-400 on my trail runners.

I use Altra's now but Asics were my go to for several decades.
 
Posts: 5562 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't measure mileage, but I buy two pair of New Balance 880s every spring, preferably when they're on sale. I use a sharpie to mark the purchase month.

I run every other day and alternate shoes. Do they last longer? Beats me.
 
Posts: 16493 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
When I ran I only did 6 miles a week in two 3 mile days.

Asics Kayano were my preferred shoe. They were worn down in about 6-8 months. Sole was a bit worn but the cushoning was worn out.
 
Posts: 2776 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those look beyond toast.
I've used Asics for years and really like the fit.
But I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue that I have started having with them.
Starting about 3 years ago, mine have started wearing a hole in the middle of the inside of the heel of the shoe. The rest of the shoe looks practically new. I don't get it.
Which reminds me, I need to order a new pair now.
 
Posts: 2458 | Location: Just outside of Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I usually replaced them at about 350 miles. The outsoles weren't necessarily broken down but knee pain would start to develop around that distance.
 
Posts: 894 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Timely thread, as I'm about due for a new pair.
Tried an off-brand & they were decent, but will likely go back to Asics for my next pair.

My last pair of Asics had a hole wearing in the toe area [road running only] and had a seam separation. Got retired into work shoes, as they're still comfortable.




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18862 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
400-500 mi; I can feel the shoes change over time. I'll cycle in a second pair around 200-250 miles and it becomes very clear when the oldest ones are toast.

--K
 
Posts: 240 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
500 miles is about the target. My shoes don't really wear out so they become grass cutting and workshop shoes. I only change them out at the recommended intervals because I've had foot injuries before and no cost savings is worth a case of plantar fasciitis!! I use Saucony and Brooks and they still feel fine to me at 500 miles, but I retire them out of an abundance of caution.
 
Posts: 2516 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't run anymore but I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day.
I can't quote a mileage before replacing shoes, just looks and when things seem to break down. Time-wise, more than 6 months and less than a year.
Another item is using replaceable insoles (I use Powerstep Pinnacle Maxx) and they can be customized to your particular feet and uses. The shoes and insoles seem to have around the same lifespan.
I feel like I have extended the lifespan of my joints by using and replacing quality shoes, and insoles is far cheaper than body parts.


___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
 
Posts: 10849 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Time-wise, more than 6 months and less than a year.


This is around where I'm at. About 8 months, running twice a week [3-5mi each] and sometimes Insanity with a group at work.




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18862 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
Those things look absolutely thrashed. Classic rule of thumb is 500 miles. Yeah they're expensive. Orthopedic surgery is more expensive.
 
Posts: 1007 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I've been running since 1999 with about 37,000 miles and over 80 pairs of Sauconys. I usually replace them between 400-500. I'm a heel striker and wears down a lot. When I go to a new shoe, I can tell the difference.

Just because the cushion feels OK, doesn't mean it's doing its job. And my shoes look nearly new after 400-500 miles and I transition them to lawn mowing and errands.


P229
 
Posts: 4153 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I also replaced my road shoes about every 400-500 miles. I had two pairs so that each pair had time to dry between runs.
 
Posts: 1050 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I know my walk/jogging shoes are done for. I recently started using a new pair. Judging mileage is hard for me though. I'm not a heal lander, but rather land on the balls of my feet. I feel like that's better for my joints as I don't feel the impact of the heel landing. But the shoes I recently stopped using had huge patches gone on the outside ball area. They were way over due.

I think I'll start to use the rule of thumb of replacing yearly.

As for my cardio routine, I alternate between biking and walking/jogging, so depending on the week, there's two or three days wear.




SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
 
Posts: 42142 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yikes 1000-miles regardless of road or trail is a lot of milage for a shoe. Retire them to garden/yard duty and get yourself a new version, as others have pointed out 4-500 miles is about the limit for today's modern shoes even with all the new super-foams that are being used.
 
Posts: 16233 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
400 - 600 on average for me. I'd shoot for 300, but by the time Iwas getting the Strava reminder, and got it done, it'd be later.
 
Posts: 11856 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Those Nimbus should have been relegated to yard work duty long ago.Eek
The midsole cushioning is designed to wear out long before the bottom outsole tread.

Useful lifespan of running shoes will depend on:

How much do you weigh? Heavier people wear out midsole cushioning faster than lighter people.

How is your running style/form? Efficient runners run in a way that absorbs impact better than less efficient runners. Heel strikers tend to wear out cushioning faster than forefoot/midfoot strikers.

What kind of surfaces do you run on? Grass, gravel, treadmills, indoor gyms, and all-weather tracks are a lot more forgiving than pavement.

I always compare my shoes against another pair vs tracking mileage. Sometimes it's a pair w/ less mileage on it. Sometimes it's another pair NIB that hasn't been worked into rotation yet. I can tell when the midsole cushioning feels worn out compared to new or less worn shoes.

If you have another pair of the same or similar model, you can inspect them side-by-side. As EVA midsole cushioning wears out, it permanently compresses. If you supinate or pronate, you can see the shoes tilt slightly compared to a new pair when you look at them from the back. If you are gifted w/ perfectly straight gait, the height of the shoes will still be slightly shorter than a new pair due to the midsole compressing. It'll also gradually show more & more wrinkles in the cushioning as it wears out. You can see them clearly in your photos.

PS: I recognize the logo in your first photo and highly recommend Running Warehouse.
 
Posts: 3835 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
these are at 4 or 5 k miles.



_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
 
Posts: 9558 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Runners, how much mileage do you put in your shoes before getting new ones?

© SIGforum 2026