SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Researchers Find No Racial Disparity in Police Deadly Force…and That’s Just the Beginning.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Researchers Find No Racial Disparity in Police Deadly Force…and That’s Just the Beginning. Login/Join 
posted
Please read the whole article...

American Police are not systematically engaged in racially biased shootings. There is no epidemic of police shooting unarmed citizens, of any race. And, errors in police deadly force decision making (cases in which police shoot unarmed, non-attacking citizens) occur at a rate of about one in a million. And realistically, it’s probably much lower than that.

These findings, and others, were recently reported by faculty at Michigan State University and the University of Maryland at College Park. In separate studies, which analyzed police shootings over one- and two-year periods, these researchers answered, “What factors predict the race of a person fatally shot by police?”

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Link?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even gets it's shoes on...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I plan to use this study when I get in a debate with my Liberal acquaintances. I think it is a valuable tool.

Also, IBID comment above on lies and truth.

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I did not need a study to tell me this, but I am impressed with the work that is being done by the Force Science Institute. My experience has been that although on rare occasion mistakes are made, on the other side of the coin the amount of restraint used by officers in the application of force is extraordinary.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
As an aside, I plan to use this study when I get in a debate with my Liberal acquaintances. I think it is a valuable tool.

Good luck with that. I tried that. They won't believe you or the report. "More right wing lies" as I was once told.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All my opinion here: Honestly it is the Main Stream Media that is causing the divide among the people. If a shooting occurs with a person of color they will report it with authority yet if it not of a person of color it will not be reported or not seem as important. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good read - all of it. Having done some research in academia, this piece looks to be well done and well documented.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ground breaking study.

-Getting shot by police is extremely rare.
-Getting shot by police while innocent, extremely, extremely rare.
-Chances of getting shot go up if you engage in criminal activities.
-You are extremely likely to be shot if you attack an officer.
-Cops are not murderous racists.

We really need a study for this?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What research shows is often NOT what is reported by the media. I read the entire report and do not question the findings. However, the fact that the study appears on a Website that does training for Law Enforcement lessens its credibility to many people.

The lead researcher is a social psychologist who is an associate professor at Michigan State University. If the article was published in an established peer reviewed journal the crediblity would be increased. In the same way as studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine receive more attention because they are peer reviewed.

This is the type of important research that needs to be done at academic institutions not some of the useless stuff that faculty turn out to attain tenure.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Getting shot by police is extremely rare.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to Clown News Network the above findings are fallacious. Read the entire article like the OP suggested. It goes well beyond these bullet points you cite.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Getting shot by police is extremely rare.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to Clown News Network the above findings are fallacious. Read the entire article like the OP suggested. It goes well beyond these bullet points you cite.

I read it. That pretty much sums it up.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
“[T]he number one way to reduce fatal shootings of anybody, black or white citizens or Hispanic citizens, …, the number one thing is reduction in crime,…not being involved in criminal activity is far and away the best way to not be shot by the police.”

Dr. Joseph Cesario

Well....da. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course its fallacious. Anything that doesn't support the current dishonest narrative is wrong or worthless. And for the record, I don't believe anyone at CCN can actually read anyway.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
A good read - all of it. Having done some research in academia, this piece looks to be well done and well documented.
No matter. The Leftists will still refuse to believe or accept it as truth.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:

I've tried using facts. That doesn't work. I do enjoy flipping the script, though. Point out that prejudging groups of people as having any universal attribute is bigotry.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
All my opinion here: Honestly it is the Main Stream Media that is causing the divide among the people. If a shooting occurs with a person of color they will report it with authority yet if it not of a person of color it will not be reported or not seem as important. God Bless Smile

I believe the MSM contributed to the 1992 Los Angeles riots. They played in an endless loop Rodney Pinata King getting whaled on after he was down (which was excessive), but not the cluster fuck (both on his side and the cops) that led up to it. All the idiot had to do was take his ticket and nothing would have happened.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
What research shows is often NOT what is reported by the media. I read the entire report and do not question the findings. However, the fact that the study appears on a Website that does training for Law Enforcement lessens its credibility to many people.

The lead researcher is a social psychologist who is an associate professor at Michigan State University. If the article was published in an established peer reviewed journal the crediblity would be increased. In the same way as studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine receive more attention because they are peer reviewed.

This is the type of important research that needs to be done at academic institutions not some of the useless stuff that faculty turn out to attain tenure.

If you follow the links in the original posting, you will find it has been published in an established peer reviewed journal.

Officer characteristics and racial disparities in fatal officer-involved shootings

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (often abbreviated PNAS or PNAS USA) is a peer-reviewed multidisciplinary scientific journal. It is the official journal of the National Academy of Sciences, published since 1915, and publishes original research, scientific reviews, commentaries, and letters.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm going to hold my breath until this is reported by ABC, CBS, CNN, and NBC.....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post