SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Disturbing Voice Mail
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disturbing Voice Mail Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
My wife played for me this morning a voice mail received on her cellphone either yesterday or this morning, a woman’s voice, possibly machine generated, demanding that my wife call back to discuss 4 serious criminal charges against her, and gave a call back number.

What should I do?

A. Call the local sheriff to come pick her up, so I am not harboring a fugitive?

B. Call law enforcement (maybe FBI) to listen to the call and press charges?

C. Turn it over to the local main stream media to help generate local outrage. Maybe Fox News?

D. Nothing. Just delete and fergetaboutit.

Any other suggestions?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Call them back, tell them you contacted the sheriff and had her picked up, thank them, tell them you appreciate that they finally found you a way to legally get her out of the house and you are now a free man! Ask if they have any connections with services that can send over a case of Jim Beam, some coke (up to you if you want JHE's coke or Atlantas) and some 20 year old hookers for later...

Hang up...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
D; it's a scam.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's a BS scam call, same as the ones with the "IRS" demanding you pay them immediately or "the authorities" will be coming for you that day.

Just delete it.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
E. All of the above.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
1. Block the number
2. Delete voicemail
3. Fuggedaboutit

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Scam. Delete and move on.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
F. Have a "conjugal visit".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's a BS scam call, same as the ones with the "IRS" demanding you pay them immediately or "the authorities" will be coming for you that day.

Just delete it.

THIS
I get these at least every 6-months. Just block it and delete the v/m.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife got a similar call several weeks ago and answered it. They said she had warrants out for her arrest. I got a friend that is local LEO on my phone at the same time, he informed me it was a scam going around TX right now and to hang up and ignore it. He said if you have a warrant they aren't going to call and ask for payment ever.

The man was very convincing and it disturbed my wife quite a bit. My friend said not to bother filing a report because they were aware of it, there just isn't a whole lot they can do to keep shutting them down.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Recommend a good lawyer. Big Grin

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2089 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
We're getting almost the same one except its a computer generated mans voice and it says that someone is using our SSN's for criminal acts and we need to call before they investigate.

meh...go investigate, see if I care.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Call the number and tell them you work for the IRS and if they don’t pay their delinquent account you will send agents to seize their house. Ask for payment in Apple gift cards.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You need to buy $500 worth of Wal-Mart gift cards and call them back. That seems to be the preferred method for buying your way out of this type of trouble.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I got one of those, the other day, after I let a call from an unrecognized number to to VM. I deleted the VM and blocked the number (for all the good blocking will do).

The FCC and TeleCom companies really need to fix this problem with caller I.D. being so-easily spoofed. What a bullshit protocol. I can't imagine what the hell they were thinking when they came up with that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Scam: delete, move on.

-or-

Get the phone number you were supposed to call them back at, go online, and sign that number up for all manner of timeshare promos, cruise giveaways, and vacation sweepstakes. Big Grin

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a variation of the scam, where they call older people with the story that their grandchild or child is in jail after an auto accident and needs bail and that the easiest way to pay the bail is with Best Buy gift cards. This is so pervasive that Best Buy has had to erect warning signs on their gift card display.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the same call on Tuesday. Called the State Attorney General and game them the info. They said it was a scam and not to call the caller back. Called it a “pissing”scam. Can’t some one stop this?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
We've had those calls. They are scams. I would not call back, as that validates your number. I would delete it and forget about it.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe you guys are no fun.

What I want is for the FBI to hunt them down, show up at 3 AM with no knock warrants, armed to the teeth, drag them naked and screaming into the perp van to be whisked off to the Stony Lonesome forever.

Can’t we get a little justice here? Must I wait until I’m invited to a Sicilian’s daughters wedding for justice?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post