SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla Model 3 Performance...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla Model 3 Performance... Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
Not defending Musk, not saying the company is a good investment (though if it keeps falling, it might be worth a flutter...)

But I got my car on Thursday - the folks were very nice, the whole experience was vastly better than a normal dealership, and holy smokes this thing is a car...

Too much weight to really be "toss able", but very comfortable, and really does handle quite well. Brakes, and goes, like nothing I've driven since the Viper. (And, on paper, the Tesla is faster than my old 4th gen Viper.)

I suspect these are/can be autocross monsters - the weight makes the driver really have to work, to keep it under control, but it has the tires and brakes to do so.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Please keep your thread updated on how it’s going, we have gotten really close to making a decision on a M3 or a MS but used. Right now we are holding off until Tesla settles down some more. We love the technology and features of Tesla’s cars.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
With few charging stations here in rural MT we see few Tesla's. Did notice that there IS a charging station at the Starbucks in Helena. How appropriate.

Yes. Do keep us informed on how it's working for You.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
electric motors are the future of cars.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I plan to take a look at them when my Hellcat lease runs out. There is nothing like that electric torque.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Why?

(Disclaimer: I own an electric car)

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a somewhat silly statement. No one knows what the 'future' of cars is.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

I can absolutely 100% guarantee gasoline will be out in less than 20 years.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:

Why?

Lower costs, better performance, and better reliability. The work on battery capacity marches on; that remains the downfall for the time being, however we'll solve that soon enough.

Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'll take that bet. You're saying there will be zero gas fueled cars by 2039?

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
If there are no fossil fueled cars in 20 years, it is only because cars are banned in 20'years.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did some analysis to see what the economics of a Tesla m3 would be but stopped cold when I called my insurance agent. Holy moly they wanted a lot to insure that car.

But the operating cost of electric is a really compelling story. So on a whim we decided to test drive a Chevy Bolt EV. My wife and I were both shocked how much we liked it. It’s not a luxury car but it made a good impression. Made the deal yesterday and we pick ours up tomorrow.

The efficiency of an electric is what sold us on it. We expect to save $2100 per year in energy costs for the daily driving my wife does.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:

Why?

Lower costs, better performance, and better reliability. The work on battery capacity marches on; that remains the downfall for the time being, however we'll solve that soon enough.
How does 100% torque at ZERO RPM's sound? Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
quote:
quote:
quote:

new sold ones, absolutely.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Volvo has already gone 100% hybrid. All other manufacturers are working on something similar.

I'm with bender on this.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Holy thread drift Batman.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not going to happen. Infrastructure isn't there and will not be there. It's more than charging stations and better batteries. What happens when everyone comes home and plugs in there car. Right now there are parts of the country that have their electrical grid stressed on hot summer days in the evenings when people return from work and crank down the AC. Add everyone plugging in their car.

How do you deal with apartments and condos where people don't have a garage/carport to park and plug their car into.

Add in the resistance from elected officials who state depends on jobs that support fossil fuel.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Complete fantasy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the European manufacturers are moving to electric because of the diesel disaster and EU mandates, just as Germany, for example, is ditching their nuke plants and pumping solar and wind for political reasons (climate hysteria).
If petroleum disappears as a fuel source, it will most likely be due to political pressure rather than technical or economic causes.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Imagine the size of the world's strip mines for rare-earth metals if we must continue with existing battery tech.

I'd love to see all electric propulsion IF there is an efficient method to store electricity, but that's always the rub. It would also be really cool if there were a way to retrofit an existing vehicle with an electric option. Think classic cars with an electric power plant, as heretical as that sounds.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post