SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla Model 3 Performance...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tesla Model 3 Performance... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
If petroleum disappears as a fuel source, it will most likely be due to political pressure rather than technical or economic causes.
Personally, if there are no fossil fuel cars in 20 years, it will more likely be due to Para's comet. Wink

Always comical though when you question the tree hugging electrolitic crew about their electric visions of the future. Razz Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Imagine the size of the world's strip mines for rare-earth metals if we must continue with existing battery tech.

I'd love to see all electric propulsion IF there is an efficient method to store electricity, but that's always the rub. It would also be really cool if there were a way to retrofit an existing vehicle with an electric option. Think classic cars with an electric power plant, as heretical as that sounds.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40

And then there’s the Zombie 222: http://www.bloodshedmotors.com/

20 years is a mighty long time. I don’t think petroleum will be completely dead thanks to diesel electric locomotives, shipping, etc. Also, farm tractors, remote locations and other situations where energy in an easily transferable liquid form may be preferred. That is unless some great leap is made in Solar capacity and manufacturing. But I can easily see primarily electric urban/suburban environments with more charging stations along major routes. If I were a roadside attraction or some other stopping point, I’d take a look at implementing a charging station. Takes 20 minutes? Hang out here, get a bite to eat, visit our gift shop!

There was a Model 3 at our cruise in today. And 2 Morgan 3-wheelers. There’s room for everyone. I would consider a conversion of my 57. Be an interesting challenge.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Imagine the size of the world's strip mines for rare-earth metals if we must continue with existing battery tech.

I'd love to see all electric propulsion IF there is an efficient method to store electricity, but that's always the rub. It would also be really cool if there were a way to retrofit an existing vehicle with an electric option. Think classic cars with an electric power plant, as heretical as that sounds.

20 years is a mighty long time. I don’t think petroleum will be completely dead thanks to diesel electric locomotives, shipping, etc. Also, farm tractors, remote locations and other situations where energy in an easily transferable liquid form may be preferred. That is unless some great leap is made in Solar capacity and manufacturing. But I can easily see primarily electric urban/suburban environments with more charging stations along major routes. If I were a roadside attraction or some other stopping point, I’d take a look at implementing a charging station. Takes 20 minutes? Hang out here, get a bite to eat, visit our gift shop!

There was a Model 3 at our cruise in today. And 2 Morgan 3-wheelers. There’s room for everyone. I would consider a conversion of my 57. Be an interesting challenge.

you, noted my choice of word, "cars" Wink

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:

you, noted my choice of word, "cars" Wink

I think we are taking separate roads to the same destination. Smile

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does 100% torque at ZERO RPM's sound?

isn't that a similar feature of steam power?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure. Stanley steamer probably do well against a Tesla for the first part of 0-60 run...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Please keep your thread updated on how it’s going, we have gotten really close to making a decision on a M3 or a MS but used. Right now we are holding off until Tesla settles down some more. We love the technology and features of Tesla’s cars.

So far, I've been very happy with it - unless you need the room, I think the 3 is a much better design. The S has an amazing ride, though. I was torn about the S long-range, with free super-charging, and mine. (They have some discounts on inventory S models.)

But, I'm a bachelor, and like speed, and the 3 is a very comfortable car. The S is nicer riding than an S class, or Cadillac, though.

I was considering a Hellcat wide-body - it was that or the Tesla, but the Tesla is so much cheaper to drive, I went with it. (I was going to daily drive my old pick up, if I bought the hellcat.)

I wouldn't get a used S, at least not a very used one. The loaner I drove, while they did my paperwork (went to lunch), had lots of rattles, and wasn't nearly as nice as the current S - but it was a shop car.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
The future of vehicles does seem to be pretty cool. My wife just picked up a Rav4 hybrid and I've been looking at Zero motorcycles (electric) All very cool stuff.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I think Tesla’s are pretty cool.
You are probably already familiar with Rich Rebuilds on YouTube but his videos are quite informative.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So...how about some pics of that new Tesla?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
electric motors are the future of cars.

NO WAY. We simply don't have the infrastructure for charging all of them, nobody is going to fund the infrastructure on a large scale, and our electrical grids are already taxed in most cities. Do I see some sort of hybrid as having a large part of the market in 20 years, such as a prius type vehicle or diesel electric, yes. But certainly not the entire market,and certainly not all electric vehicles, also Americans are far too independent to be tied to having to stop at a charging station.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
This thread was damn near destroyed by a huge drift, the OP was happy to have purchased a Tesla but the focus was diverted far away. Sad that happens and could easily handled in a new post...

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:

My wife just picked up a Rav4 hybrid
My wife bought a new Ford Escape hybrid in 2011. It has given good service, she likes it, but she is thinking about a new car and the Rav4 hybrid is at the top of her list right now.

I do not want to derail this thread, but perhaps you might start a new thread with a report on the good and the bad that you have found with the Rav4 hybrid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new car. Electrics don't really fit my lifestyle since I do a fair amount of long distance driving. If I was just an around town drive I would definitely consider an all electric. I am really looking forward to your updates and driving impressions over time.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm intrigued by them, but live in an area where support will be distant, and plan to retire where it will be the same. Have a neighbor with a Model 3, and it made me wonder.

What do you do for support and repairs if you don't live in a major metro area with access to dealer service network? I'm thinking big issues like drivetrain as well as minor issues like electronics, window motors, etc. and other warranty issues. Do you just have to plan to put it on a transport to the nearest repair center?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They’ll send someone to you at the tune of $1 per round trip mile.
Cheaper than a tow but still can get pricey.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...hTE&feature=youtu.be

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12639 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Congrats on the new car. Electrics don't really fit my lifestyle since I do a fair amount of long distance driving. If I was just an around town drive I would definitely consider an all electric. I am really looking forward to your updates and driving impressions over time.

There's a good website, called abetterrouteplanner.com, which seems to do a good job laying out trips/can send them to the navigation system on my Tesla. If I drive from SC to TX, I spend an extra 6 hours charging/driving than in a gasoline car - but the gas car probably has at least an hour of fill ups/maybe 2, which I didn't factor in.

I figure I'll get the time back, based on not having to go to gas stations, during my regular drive.

But, it is a bit like sailing - which I kind of dig. And, I don't mind charging. I sit in the passenger seat with the AC on, and check email/read. I really won't mind taking a break every couple hundred miles to do so.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Does anyone on here have a purely-electric car that lives in a area with a really cold winter climate with hills?

The people I know who have tried Teslas in these areas (which can be a good sector of the US) didn't have good experiences with range.
All of the glowing range estimates seem to come from flat, moderate-climate areas.
This is discussed quite a bit in the Tesla forum.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Does anyone on here have a purely-electric car that lives in a area with a really cold winter climate with hills?

The people I know who have tried Teslas in these areas (which can be a good sector of the US) didn't have good experiences with range.
All of the glowing range estimates seem to come from flat, moderate-climate areas.
This is discussed quite a bit in the Tesla forum.

A friend of mine moved to Denver and owns a model S. He tells me the battery life drops by about 25% in the winter. Not a big deal for him since his commute is less than 15 minutes. It did take him about 17 hours to drive from Salt Lake City to Denver when he moved out there. Typically an 8 hour drive. Having to wait at the charging stations for others to finish was a major PIA.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post