SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hunter accidently shoots woman at 200 yrd with pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter accidently shoots woman at 200 yrd with pistol Login/Join 
posted
200 yrd shot with a pistol!!! I cant seem to find much about what type of pistol was used or if any type of optic was involved. Seems like the most lucky, unlucky shot ever. How much of a hold over would you need to shoot 200 yards?

___________________________________________________________________________________

link

A New York woman was shot dead after a hunter said he mistakenly took her for a deer, according to police.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office says 43-year-old Rosemary Billquist, of Sherman, had taken her two Labradors for a walk in her hometown near the Pennsylvania border around 5.30pm on Wednesday.

The hunter, identified as 34-year-old Thomas Jadlowski, told deputies he thought he saw a deer in the field and fired his single-shot pistol.
After hearing Billquist's scream, he found her about 200 yards away, called 911 and applied pressure to her wound until EMS arrived

Billquist was taken to UPMC Hamot hospital in Erie, Pennsylvania, where she was pronounced dead.
Sheriff's officials said Jadlowski has been cooperating with investigation and not charges have been filed as of yet.

The investigation showed that Jadlowski reported the shooting at 5.24pm, 40 minutes after sunset. It is illegal to hunt after sunset per New York State law.
Jamie Billquist, who met his wife in 1990, said she was was a loving and selfless woman.
'She was always out to help somebody. She never wanted credit and was always quiet about it,' he told The Buffalo News. 'She's just an angel. An angel for sure.'

Billquist was a volunteer at Chautauqua Hospice and at UPMC Chautauqua WCA Hospital, where she worked performing medical transcription.
'She could have done so much more,' he said. 'Her life was cut way too short.'
Friends and co-workers on Thursday night held a vigil, decorating a bench she donated to the hospital with electric tea lights, a yellow Lab stuffed animal and flowers.
'They sang and prayed,' her husband said. 'It was amazing. It was a community thing. I was blessed to be able to share it.'

Posts: 5423 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
200 yards? Damn.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Freakin' negligent idiot.

And he didn't shoot her accidentally. He hit exactly what he was aiming at. He just didn't know what he was aiming at because he didn't bother to identify it first.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of rifle caliber pistols designed for hunting, the Thompson Center Encore to name one.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

And he didn't shoot her accidentally. He hit exactly what he was aiming at. He just didn't know what he was aiming at because he didn't bother to identify it first.

Yes, negligent homicide at minimum. There really is no excuse to shoot anyone in this scenario.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Two things:

Jadlowski was a fookin' dumbass. It ALWAYS pisses me off when people are shot while being mistaken for deer. There is absolutely no excuse for this whatsoever! Know your target.... Why anyone would ever shoot without knowing what in the hell they are shooting at is completely beyond me. They should fry this idiot.

Billquist wasn't too smart. No, I'm not blaming the victim, but walking around out in the woods during hunting season without distinctive clothing on just isn't smart. Blaze orange, red plaid, ...something.

I hate seeing this crap when it is so easily prevented.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
What a senseless tragedy that this woman lost her life.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31426 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
send him to Australia, forever

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
That's local to me and I haven't been able to get more details but I'd like more. I have to guess he was using a Thompson but I can't imagine how he even saw her at that time of day with no snow on the ground. If he's that good of a shot I would have thought he'd at least be able to identify a deer.

We also had someone local shoot a pickup yesterday that they thought was a deer. These examples are part of the reason I'm a bowhunter only these days.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the asshole ever accidentally fucked a deer that he confused for his wife?

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
5:30pm. Isn't it dark by then, and aren't there game laws about hunting after dark?

Something doesn't sound correct about this.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2702 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
5:30pm. Isn't it dark by then, and aren't there game laws about hunting after dark?

Something doesn't sound correct about this.

It sounds to me, from the timing detailed in the article, that he was shooting right at last legal hunting light and perhaps pushing that envelope a bit. Regardless of the lighting conditions, I just can't fathom pulling the trigger on a "deer" without seeing it clearly enough to determine age/size, sex, antler configuration if present, etc.... Was he just flinging lead at the first "deer" he saw.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
It states in the article that he was shooting after sunset, and that it was illegal to do so.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another case of everything being done wrong and going wrong that possibly can.

The total amount of bad decisions is tough to comprehend.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The Fox News article on the story, said that the hunter was also trespassing as he didn't have permission to be hunting. The property is the neighbor of the victim.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with this 100%. First "mistake" wasn't identifying the target properly. Second "mistake" was shooting after Sunset. I'm hoping this dirtbag gets charged with 2nd degree Murder. Because IMO there are NO "accidents" with firearms. There are responsible owners who don't ever take "shortcuts" or make assumptions about a target and there are those who belong in jail because they think that the rules for safe handling don't apply to them.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. The title of the thread is wrong and this idiot deserves to go to jail for a long time.

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A S&W 500 or 460 is very doable at 200yds. Even with iron sights.

But still very sad. If only the hunter took the time to positively ID his target.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Billquist wasn't too smart. No, I'm not blaming the victim, but walking around out in the woods during hunting season without distinctive clothing on just isn't smart. Blaze orange, red plaid, ...something.

I hate seeing this crap when it is so easily prevented.

Jadlowski was trespassing. Billquist had no reason to think she would be a target.

None at all.

You go outside to turn a steak on your grill in your own backyard: should you have to wear blaze orange because it's hunting season?

There is only one perpetrator here. He was trespassing, shooting after dark, he failed to identify his target. He pulled the trigger and he is 100% at fault.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy is an idiot. Period.

This article is appearing everything, including the WashPost:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...is-neighbor-is-dead/

Once again, misuse of a firearm makes a much bigger headline than legitimate self defense.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post