SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hunter accidently shoots woman at 200 yrd with pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter accidently shoots woman at 200 yrd with pistol Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
200 yrd shot with a pistol!!! I cant seem to find much about what type of pistol was used or if any type of optic was involved. Seems like the most lucky, unlucky shot ever. How much of a hold over would you need to shoot 200 yards?

___________________________________________________________________________________

link

A New York woman was shot dead after a hunter said he mistakenly took her for a deer, according to police.

The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office says 43-year-old Rosemary Billquist, of Sherman, had taken her two Labradors for a walk in her hometown near the Pennsylvania border around 5.30pm on Wednesday.

The hunter, identified as 34-year-old Thomas Jadlowski, told deputies he thought he saw a deer in the field and fired his single-shot pistol.
After hearing Billquist's scream, he found her about 200 yards away, called 911 and applied pressure to her wound until EMS arrived

Billquist was taken to UPMC Hamot hospital in Erie, Pennsylvania, where she was pronounced dead.
Sheriff's officials said Jadlowski has been cooperating with investigation and not charges have been filed as of yet.

The investigation showed that Jadlowski reported the shooting at 5.24pm, 40 minutes after sunset. It is illegal to hunt after sunset per New York State law.
Jamie Billquist, who met his wife in 1990, said she was was a loving and selfless woman.
'She was always out to help somebody. She never wanted credit and was always quiet about it,' he told The Buffalo News. 'She's just an angel. An angel for sure.'

Billquist was a volunteer at Chautauqua Hospice and at UPMC Chautauqua WCA Hospital, where she worked performing medical transcription.
'She could have done so much more,' he said. 'Her life was cut way too short.'
Friends and co-workers on Thursday night held a vigil, decorating a bench she donated to the hospital with electric tea lights, a yellow Lab stuffed animal and flowers.
'They sang and prayed,' her husband said. 'It was amazing. It was a community thing. I was blessed to be able to share it.'

You really need to think about what you are saying , "lucky" shot?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Billquist wasn't too smart. No, I'm not blaming the victim, but walking around out in the woods during hunting season without distinctive clothing on just isn't smart. Blaze orange, red plaid, ...something.

I hate seeing this crap when it is so easily prevented.

Jadlowski was trespassing. Billquist had no reason to think she would be a target.

None at all.

You go outside to turn a steak on your grill in your own backyard: should you have to wear blaze orange because it's hunting season?

There is only one perpetrator here. He was trespassing, shooting after dark, he failed to identify his target. He pulled the trigger and he is 100% at fault.

Agree with LDD. She wasn't too smart because she didn't pay attention that it was hunting season and strap on blaze clothing. Come on now.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Indeed. No one but the shooter bears any fault here. He failed to properly identify the target before squeezing the trigger, on top of trespassing and any other issues.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Billquist wasn't too smart. No, I'm not blaming the victim, but walking around out in the woods during hunting season without distinctive clothing on just isn't smart. Blaze orange, red plaid, ...something.

Jadlowski was trespassing. Billquist had no reason to think she would be a target.

None at all.

You go outside to turn a steak on your grill in your own backyard: should you have to wear blaze orange because it's hunting season?

There is only one perpetrator here. He was trespassing, shooting after dark, he failed to identify his target. He pulled the trigger and he is 100% at fault.

You are correct of course but this is not the first time this kind of thing has happened.

Always a good idea to help yourself by helping idiots like this shooter. A orange hat, scarf my have saved her life.

I don't think he will do any jail time at all. Just a horrible accident.....RIGHT Confused

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1250 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

None at all.

I couldn't agree more, which is why I said that I wasn't blaming the victim for this and I never would.

But, why make it easier for these things to happen?

And yes, I went out to the shed to haul in wood earlier today and put on my red plaid woolrich shirt. It's the end of hunting season around here and I trust nobody...even when on my own property.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Fuck that, being that concerned. (It's your house, do what you like, of course)

posted Hide Post
Wow, this idiot won the wrong lottery. The only thing he could say is 'it was an accident', however all of us gun owners know damn well that this guy tried his mightiest to get 'that deer' and there was nothing accidental about his action other than his decision if 'he should've'. A 200yd shot, with a pistol, 40+ minutes past sunset, on somebody else property, very low-light conditions...good grief, everything wrong and he makes a hit.

The poor women who was killed did nothing wrong. Yes, being in a hunting area, wearing bright, possibly reflective clothing would've helped, however let's not bury the lead, she bears no responsibility, it's all on Jadlowski.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
If she had been wearing the recommended orange scarf then this rocket surgeon would have decided that it was a buck with fashion sense.

And yes, it can be dark at that latitude at that time of day in deer season.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thompson Center Contender, I would guess. Popular with the Metallic Silhouette crowd.
And I don't think he "found" her, more likely a deliberate shot and he went to retrieve what he thought was a deer.
I no longer deer hunt, but when I did, I don't think I ever tried a shot over 100 yards.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad, sad, sad that a local life was lost when stupidity was to blame. Another local shooting was just as horrific, a dad shot his own son to death.

Our county is a popular spot to hunt for out of towners, but the stupidity is never at a loss.

Shooting at sounds before daylight is often an oft told story that just makes me cringe.

Not only do I want to see a deer, I want to pick the shot carefully to make it less painful for the deer. One shot, one kill is my target philosophy. But oft times I hear "hunters" emptying their guns as fast as they can, the spray and pray philosophy Roll Eyes

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I live in a very rural area, and am outside a lot during the evenings after dark during hunting season.

I can't tell you the number if times I hear rifle shots in the pitch dark . They are either spotlighting or like that idiot that shot the lady, shooting in the dark at something they percieve as moving.

About 5 years ago, 15 miles from where I live, a man walking his dogs within 100 yards of his home (heading toward home) was shot and killed at twilight by a hunter , shooting toward the road.

Turns out the shooter was a NRA instructor.

All hunters are not irresponsible. But the irresposible ones will get you killed.

I am very hesitant even walking on my property toward twilight, even with a flashlight, during hunting season, and glad as hell when its over

Many times, I have seen vehicles stop in the road, I guess watching me , thinking I was a deer, walking back to my home on my farm road on my property.

Really sad thing to happen.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Article I read had him hunting after hours and <100 yes from structures so in violation of a few game regulations. And while not criminal....they will be any number of civil wrongful death suits.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Thompson Center Contender, I would guess. Popular with the Metallic Silhouette crowd.
And I don't think he "found" her, more likely a deliberate shot and he went to retrieve what he thought was a deer.
I no longer deer hunt, but when I did, I don't think I ever tried a shot over 100 yards.

There is nothing wrong with taking shots over 100 yards. I can take a 500 yard shot with 100% positive ID and confidence of a clean kill. But this guy obviously didn't make a positive ID. As dark as it is now at 5:20, he probably saw her eyes glow and thought it was a deer. I'm sure he feels terrible, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't pay a high price for what he did. It was not an accident.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The article noted a single shot pistol. Most likely a Thompson Center pistol, probably chambered in a rifle caliber like .243. I have a friend with one that can shoot a ground hog in the nose at 300 yards. They are typically scoped so this guy should have had a clear view of what he was shooting at.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38251 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It should be this simple:
If you fail to identify your target and take a life, you go to prison for a long time.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
1) 200 yards is not that difficult with the proper pistol.

2) He should be charged with negligent homicide.

3) Hunters orange is always a good idea if walking in the woods during deer season, but at 200 yards at dusk it is unlikely to have made any difference. This guy saw movement and a shape, and held on it. He would not have distinguished orange in that light.

Posts: 3550 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Thirty years ago a hunter shot a housewife, in her back yard.
http://outthere.bangordailynew...tion-in-maine-woods/

Again, the argument was made that it was her fault. She "should have" worn orange. She had put white socks on her hand (as was a suggested option). The hunter was too close to the house, and knew where the houses were.

I suspect the land he was trespassing on was posted. As it was 40 minutes after hunting had ended, he obviously was ignoring even the most basic safety.

Agree with Honestiou, at 200 yards, in the dark (sunset was 1632, how much color can one see? Nope, it was late, he saw something move and fired.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My 14"T/C Contender in 30/30 is more than capable of shooting accurately at 200 meters. I shoot mine in IHMSA matches were you have to shoot and knock down 50# steel rams (10) at 200 meters.
Not that hard to do consistently.
NO excuse for this shooter. His carelessness cost somebody there life and ruined her family and friends.
If he could shoot and hit his target at sunset or right after with a handgun, at 200 yards, he is a experienced shooter and should know better.
He makes all of us look bad.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamageInc:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

There is nothing wrong with taking shots over 100 yards. I can take a 500 yard shot with 100% positive ID and confidence of a clean kill. But this guy obviously didn't make a positive ID. As dark as it is now at 5:20, he probably saw her eyes glow and thought it was a deer. I'm sure he feels terrible, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't pay a high price for what he did. It was not an accident.

Most of the 50-ish deer I've shot in my life were between 150-325meters out.

Where you hunt often determines this more so than any other factor, fwiw. I've hunted tons in West Texas, and most everything is way out there...

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Years back in Lincoln, MT (Home of the Una Bomber) a LOGGER was shot through the hips, with a .45-70. He was burning piles of slash...the branches, brush, etc... left over from logging operations.

He was on top of a 20 foot tall pile...setting it on fire with kerosene. Much of it was ON FIRE!

He was mistaken by a mid west "hunter" , for a MOOSE.

Poor guy was never able to walk right again and lived with constant pain.

The NY guy deserves a LONG jail term. You are in command of a deadly weapon. Screw up and You should pay for it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post