SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    State enforces parking for people with disabilities during holidays
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State enforces parking for people with disabilities during holidays Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just about every time I go to the grocery store I see a very common misuse of the parking tag: an elderly person waiting in the vehicle, parked in a disabled slot, while a perfectly healthy youngster (granddaughter?) hops out of the driver seat and jogs into the store.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My wife had both knees replaced. Each time we got a very limited temporary placard.
There was a problem. My wife didn’t want to use it. She had me unload at the entrance, then I’d go park in regular parking.
Even now, she depends on my luck at finding a close in parking space and refuses to get a permanent placard.
She’s a nurse, what can I say?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
There is a memory care facility across the drive from my work. Workers and visitors for that facility frequently park in our lot. I had to shake my head one day when a guy parked in one of our handicapped spots near our building and walked across our near empty lot to enter the facility across the drive. Yes, he had a placard hanging off his mirror.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just about every time I go to the grocery store I see a very common misuse of the parking tag: an elderly person waiting in the vehicle, parked in a disabled slot, while a perfectly healthy youngster (granddaughter?) hops out of the driver seat and jogs into the store.

I see this all the time, and I also see the spry young lady using the handicapped spot without the old fart riding along.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
My wife is multi chemical sensitive. Just a small amount of exhaust fumes can put her into a severe asthma type attack. And in the summer the the hot asphalt fumes are really hard on her.
But she doesn't "look" disabled.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that gigalligan. I had never heard of that before. Does a mask help? (this might be a case where a mask does actually work)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Well, at least they're not parking in the Fire Lane... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8871 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I wish it was a big enough fine to actually dissuade people. The problem I see is that most people who wrongly use them have a placard from either the car owner or someone else in the family so what can you really do about it.

I remember years ago (pre Hippa) a reporter in St.Louis asked everyone who used a placard what their disability was and the vast majority got all embarrassed and said it was someone else’s in the family and they didn’t think it was a big deal because they wouldn’t be long. Pathetic.

Since we've got a handicapped plate on the Bronco and a handicapped hang tag for the truck and also for use on rental cars when we travel, I've got an honest question for you.

When you see someone park and walk into a store how do you know they're not handicapped?
I don’t know and that’s exactly why I would never say anything and exactly my point on why it’s hard to enforce.

It is a bit ridiculous for most when they seemingly can’t walk another 20 feet out in the parking lot but then spend 2 hours walking through a mall that’s two football fields in length.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Well, at least they're not parking in the Fire Lane... Wink
That's a whole other rant. For twenty-five years or so, I have defeated Porch Pirates, and satisfied "signature required" deliveries, by keeping an account at The UPS Store (originally named "Mail Boxes Etc.").

At the location that I use, there is a strip of grass and plants between the sidewalk and the curb, with a paved walkway leading through the planted area to the curb in front of each business in the strip mall.

I park in the parking lot, in a disabled slot if there is one available (legit, I have a bunch of hardware in my hip and thigh, and I have balance problems).

Most days, there is a car in the Fire Lane in front of the store, totally blocking access to the paved walkway, while the perfectly healthy fucking lazy moron driver is in the store, waiting on line to to ask the cost of every possible method of shipping some crap to West Wagon Wheel or East Bum Fuck, and then try to figure out the cost vs. transit time matrix, blocking access to the store the whole time.

All of this when there are dozens, maybe a hundred or more, perfectly legitimate empty places in the parking lot, all of sixty or ninety seconds from the store. Fargin' Iceholes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can tell you what happens when there is a fire and you are parked in front of the hydrant. Firefighters have great tools. They break both back windows and run the hose through. If you are parked in the fire lane a simple push will move your vehicle out of the way.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The online food pickup people almost universally park in the fire lanes. Drives me nuts.

Unfortunately we don’t have enough time to enforce that or the handicapped parking unless we get really really miffed about it, but it’s rare. Just too many morons trying to shoot each other.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
While I think they should enforce this, it's not like Illinois doesn't have bigger unsolved crime problems for the police to deal with.

https://www.lakemchenryscanner...rime-up-in-illinois/

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is a quality of life issue. As noted earlier they are not pulling homicide detectives from Lawndale to write these tickets.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
I have a handicapped tag and use it on occasion. It is needed when the walk is a long one (Costco, sporting event parking, etc). Since getting the tag I have observed handicapped parking behavior. I have watched many people (with handicapped tag) pull into a handicapped spot when an empty non-handicapped spot beside is empty. logic to me is to leave the handicapped spot free for a handicapped person.

Me too. When I go somewhere without Mrs. Flash, I never park in a handicapped spot because she's not with me even though I've got a handicapped tag on the car.

I've even had people tell me to go ahead and use the handicapped spot but I won't without her.
Pretty sure you can be ticketed if the handicapped person is not with you . In Louisiana we have a photo ID that goes along with the Handicapped plate .

Posts: 4051 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My dad was prideful to the "Seven Deadly Sins" level. He never got a handicap plate or placard his entire life, when he darn sure should have. Makes me shake my head just thinking about him.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the news shows did an investigation at a government office and found that a shit ton of employees had handicapped tags so they could park on the street for free. Statistically, it is an impossibility to have that many people in a given office. Of course, when asked what their disability was, the response was not a reasonable explanation it was "you don't know me, you don't know what I have..." and on and on without answering the question.

Seems most were afflicted with a combination of big mouth disease and fat ass syndrome.

Posts: 4703 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Pretty sure you can be ticketed if the handicapped person is not with you . In Louisiana we have a photo ID that goes along with the Handicapped plate .

In Arizona, you don't have anything showing you're handicapped so I guess if I were to park in the handicap spot and some cop came up and asked if I was handicapped, I'd just have to say yes and be on my way.

Same thing when I'm traveling and using the handicapped hang tag, I'd just tell them I was handicapped and have no proof and that would be that.

But I don't do that and so I don't have to worry about it. I'm merely pointing out how easy it is to get away with.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am disabled and usually park quite a ways from the front door of any business.
I figure when it gets to where a little walking is not possible, then I'll park closer.
If I make it to where I need to park handicap then maybe I shouldn't be driving.
It's the lazy fat people that could lose a couple of hundred pounds or the obvious placard abusers that frost my ass.

Posts: 367 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

In Arizona, you don't have anything showing you're handicapped so I guess if I were to park in the handicap spot and some cop came up and asked if I was handicapped, I'd just have to say yes and be on my way.

Same thing when I'm traveling and using the handicapped hang tag, I'd just tell them I was handicapped and have no proof and that would be that.

But I don't do that and so I don't have to worry about it. I'm merely pointing out how easy it is to get away with.
I get it . I never heard of any LEO checking the ID . Hell , they rarely enforce the parking at all .

Posts: 4051 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Sorry to hear that gigalligan. I had never heard of that before. Does a mask help? (this might be a case where a mask does actually work)

I guess a mask with a clean supply of air, kinda like scuba gear, might help.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post