SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    State enforces parking for people with disabilities during holidays
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State enforces parking for people with disabilities during holidays Login/Join 
posted
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The Illinois Secretary of State’s office has begun stepped-up enforcement during the holiday season of parking spaces reserved for people with disabilities.

Secretary of State police conducted sting operations at shopping malls in Schaumburg, Springfield and Fairview Heights on Friday and will aggressively enforce the law statewide in the coming weeks.

Democratic Secretary of State Jesse White is in his 14th year of administering the program which begins with the Thanksgiving holiday weekend operations.

People can report violations by calling the secretary of state’s office or by filing a report online.

White said his intent is not to increase the number of tickets issued but to keep the spots open for those who need them.

“Parking illegally in a space reserved for people with disabilities means a possible driver’s license suspension and a hefty fine,” White said. “If you don’t belong there, don’t park there.”

Disabled parking is available to those who have received an official placard from White’s office. Misuse could result in a driver’s license suspension of six months and a $600 fine. Repeat offenders face heftier penalties. Fraudulently using the placard of a dead person could mean a $2,500 fine and a year’s license suspension.

Currently, there are 530,498 motorists in Illinois with disability placards.

LINK; https://wgntv.com/news/state-e...ies-during-holidays/

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should do it all year .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
They should do it all year .

Agree 100%

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The placards are too easy to get. Someone I know continued to use the placard of a dead relative for years until it expired. I found that repugnant.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
This was my personal pet peeve when I was policing. My brother is crippled and needs one of those spots.

I used to pass a Dollar General on the way home from my shift every day. And I’d find people in the handicapped spot.

One day I wrote a city ticket-you can leave it under the wiper and it is a $50 fine. If the owner doesn’t pay it his power can be turned off if he lives in the city, or if he lives in the county he can have a lien placed on the vehicle and he can’t renew the registration until it’s paid. The state uniform citation is $250

So I ran the tags-no handicap. I write it and leave to go home. I’m in my driveway when 911 gives an oncoming officer a “speak” call to the address of the store reference to a ticket. I chimed in and told the officer I’d handle it as I was nearby.

I get there and ask for the drivers license, maybe she has a handicap and I’ll run the license and void the ticket, but she has such a shitty attitude that when I found she wasn’t handicapped I wrote her a state citation, walked back up to her and told her that I tore up the city ticket and here’s your pink copy, by the way it’s a mandatory court date and don’t worry ILL BE THERE because my brother is crippled.

At her court date She pleads guilty hoping to just pay it off-but I interrupted and told the judge I had some input about this particular case. He is intrigued and I tell him the whole story. She gets dinged for the ticket, and he gave her some community service on top of it.

It was a great day. (If this makes me the asshole-I’m okay with that)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^A 'Special' kind of Asshole...And I'm OK with it too! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash wears a leg brace and has trouble walking very far.

We were in the Honolulu Airport a couple of years ago and when they announced early boarding for people who are handicapped, she stepped up and got in line.

One of the airline employees told her, kind of rudely, that the line was only for handicapped people and to wait her turn. She lifted up her pants leg and the guy turned white. Thought he'd have a heart attack. He apologized profusely.

Since then, she always wears pedal pusher pants when we fly so people can see the brace.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish it was a big enough fine to actually dissuade people. The problem I see is that most people who wrongly use them have a placard from either the car owner or someone else in the family so what can you really do about it.

I remember years ago (pre Hippa) a reporter in St.Louis asked everyone who used a placard what their disability was and the vast majority got all embarrassed and said it was someone else’s in the family and they didn’t think it was a big deal because they wouldn’t be long. Pathetic.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I wish it was a big enough fine to actually dissuade people. The problem I see is that most people who wrongly use them have a placard from either the car owner or someone else in the family so what can you really do about it.

I remember years ago (pre Hippa) a reporter in St.Louis asked everyone who used a placard what their disability was and the vast majority got all embarrassed and said it was someone else’s in the family and they didn’t think it was a big deal because they wouldn’t be long. Pathetic.

This is a common misconception. HIPPA only applies to healthcare providers and insurance companies and certain business entities who do business with them (including their employees in the performance of their duties). There is nothing stopping anyone else (absent a specific law or regulation such as those applying ADA dogs) asking anyone anything about their medical condition. Cops can do it, reporters can do it, even birds and bees can do it.

Here's a good explanation: Who does HIPPA apply to?

When I wrote violations for blue badges, I always asked the person, if they were there what their disability was. When I booked people into jail, one of the requirements was a comprehensive medical and mental health screening form.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
too bad they don't do it year round!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The placards are too easy to get. Someone I know continued to use the placard of a dead relative for years until it expired. I found that repugnant.

NJ permits had a 36 month lifespan. They should have renewed them after 12 to 24 months. All it takes is the doctor's signature. Exceptions should be for the loss of a limb or a permanent disability. That should require the license plate itself.

The cardboard types are passed around all too often. While it is permissible for a family member or friend to drive they disabled person and legally use the placard I've seen it used when that isn't the case. My family member did it all because while disabled herself she didn't bother to get her own.

quote:
I remember years ago (pre Hippa) a reporter in St.Louis asked everyone who used a placard what their disability was and the vast majority got all embarrassed and said it was someone else’s in the family

By law in NJ it was contained in the law that producing the ID card issued with every handicapped plate and placard must be produced if requested.

In that past the fine was stiff and it required a court appearance. That's gone in the days of Zoom court hearings.

Many years back I questioned the handicap of a rather young female driver. She tapped her prostatic that was totally undetectable.

What was BS is the issuing for mental condictions.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

This.

It's great that they're making sure that these spaces are available, but they should do something about people who abuse the system. My wife's sister got a "temporary" placard after she hurt her back. She was fine in a couple of weeks, but she was still using the placard years later.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Since we've got a handicapped plate on the Bronco and a handicapped hang tag for the truck and also for use on rental cars when we travel, I've got an honest question for you.

When you see someone park and walk into a store how do you know they're not handicapped?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Well, it is more important to enforce this over all the killin' in Chitown. Frown

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What is the matter with you?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Well, it is more important to enforce this over all the killin' in Chitown. Frown
False Dilemma Logical Fallacy. It's not either investigate murders in Chicago or enforce parking in Schaumburg, Springfield and Fairview Heights. First, they're not the same cities and second I highly doubt homicide detectives are passing out handicap parking tickets.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
False Dilemma Logical Fallacy.

It was just some hyperbole. Eek

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a handicapped tag and use it on occasion. It is needed when the walk is a long one (Costco, sporting event parking, etc). Since getting the tag I have observed handicapped parking behavior. I have watched many people (with handicapped tag) pull into a handicapped spot when an empty non-handicapped spot beside is empty. logic to me is to leave the handicapped spot free for a handicapped person.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
I have a handicapped tag and use it on occasion. It is needed when the walk is a long one (Costco, sporting event parking, etc). Since getting the tag I have observed handicapped parking behavior. I have watched many people (with handicapped tag) pull into a handicapped spot when an empty non-handicapped spot beside is empty. logic to me is to leave the handicapped spot free for a handicapped person.

Me too. When I go somewhere without Mrs. Flash, I never park in a handicapped spot because she's not with me even though I've got a handicapped tag on the car.

I've even had people tell me to go ahead and use the handicapped spot but I won't without her.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
When you see someone park and walk into a store how do you know they're not handicapped?

Not all qualifying conditions are apparent and continuous. Heart, pulmonary, and back problems may not be continuous.

Like others have posted, I will NOT use a spot if the person who has the placard or plate is not with me.

Each state has their own rules about usage - in CA, these placards and plates allow parking for unlimited time at meters without paying. This doesn't apply to paid parking lots. Other states require you to still pay, but reserve the spaces for appropriate usage.

If I remember, you can park for twice the posted limit in the UK. I sent an email to one city when Dad and I went over there a few years ago and asked about the rules - I even sent a copy of the CA placard in the email. I got a reply the next day letting me know the rules, thanking me for asking, and said that they had sent out the image of the placard to all of enforcement officers so they would know what we would have in the vehicle. Quite the service.

BTW, for the earlier posts - it is HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post