SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The coolest flashlight I never knew about: The Klarus RS80
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The coolest flashlight I never knew about: The Klarus RS80 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
https://www.klaruslight.com/Products/RSeries/708.html

Uh oh- there's a sale: https://klaruslightstore.com/p...remium-model-10000lm

So, apparently, one of these showed up in 2017 in a Tom Cruise movie. I just love the look of it and I can understand how it ended up on screen- very photogenic.

I was watching a PBS show (Secrets of the Dead, a pretty cool series) and they had one of these lights. I can see how this would be a caver's delight. On ultra-low setting, this thing will run for 18 days.

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool; however, if I may be allowed to counter:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/...shlight-12000-lumens
Also on sale and a bit more portable. I have one of these and it's absolutely ridiculous how much it illuminates.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I own the Fenix flashlight above… And while it is amazingly bright and versatile, the thumb switch makes it nearly useless. Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The form factor of the Klarus is what I find attractive. The lumens competition doesn't interest me.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
$280, that's great, considering many WMLs that cost more.

Q

Posts: 26196 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I remembering correctly, Boss, weren’t you just looking for an EDC powered by a AAA battery?
Would this be an example of mission creep?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, looks great and 10,000 lumens is extremely bright. $280 bucks, that is a nice price...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
If you like the form factor there is also the JetBeam T8, although I'm partial to Klarus.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Cool looking and impressive specs.

Forgive me if I'm being too literal, but I don't see 18 days run time anywhere though. Is it in some fine print that I didn't scroll far enough to read?

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Neat looking light. Thanks for posting this. I might just have to get one for Christmas.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Can't figure a way to mount it on a P365 rail Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Can't figure a way to mount it on a P365 rail Frown

I think you mount the 365 to the Klarus.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25346 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two Fenix PD 35 I believe. 1000 lumens. Recently I decided to replace the battery’s in my two mag lights. One took C and the other D batteries. After replacing the batteries, I compared them to my Fenix lights. Then I removed the batteries and threw the mag lights away!
Can’t imagine 10,000 lumens.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That's a DAMN Nice looking light!

I looks like it's made out of Aluminum (and it is), but surprisingly nowhere on their website could I find that info. Two video reviews and visits to two other websites later, I confirmed that it is indeed AL. The RS80'GT' (updated version of the RS80) comes with a nicer 'Pelican-like Case' and also has also has sealing plugs on the USB charging port(s) to achieve the IPX7 rating. The previous version had a hinged battery door, as well as a more screwed together design.

Of course, now I want need an RS80GT... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8777 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Forgive me if I'm being too literal, but I don't see 18 days run time anywhere though. Is it in some fine print that I didn't scroll far enough to read?
I saw that spec while researching ths light, but now I can't find it.

Apparently, though, it's incorrect anyway. From Klarus:

1 (10000 lumens) - 1.5 hours runtime
2 (3000 lumens) -3 hours runtime
3 (1000 lumens) - 8.5 hours runtime
4 (500 lumens) - 16 hours runtime
5 (100 lumens) - 84 hours runtime
6 (30lumens) - 135 hours runtime
Table Lamp (100lumens) - 80 hours runtime
Strobe (10000 lumens) - 3 hours runtime
SOS (500 lumens) - 48 hour runtime

The maximum runtime is listed as 135 hours @ 30 lumens. That's about five and a half days.

Also, 80 hours as a 100 lumen "table lamp". That's the little sidelight on this nifty thing.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It reminds me of those old lantern/flashlights that ran on the big square alkaline with the springs on top. I like it.

Posts: 11343 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Yes. I was trying to think what it reminded me of.

Posts: 12430 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I saw that spec while researching ths light, but now I can't find it.

Apparently, though, it's incorrect anyway. From Klarus:

1 (10000 lumens) - 1.5 hours runtime
2 (3000 lumens) -3 hours runtime
3 (1000 lumens) - 8.5 hours runtime
4 (500 lumens) - 16 hours runtime
5 (100 lumens) - 84 hours runtime
6 (30lumens) - 135 hours runtime
Table Lamp (100lumens) - 80 hours runtime
Strobe (10000 lumens) - 3 hours runtime
SOS (500 lumens) - 48 hour runtime

The maximum runtime is listed as 135 hours @ 30 lumens. That's about five and a half days.

Also, 80 hours as a 100 lumen "table lamp". That's the little sidelight on this nifty thing.

At 4:55, the following video review of the 'RS80' (previous version) quotes from the product documentation, and indicates a battery life/runtime @ 7 Lumens of 430 hours (17.9 Days!). Not sure, but it would seem that level output isn't even a selection on the RS80GT though... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8777 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That does look very interesting. I’d like to get my hands on one to try it out because it is so different.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17243 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Saying it will “easily light up a football field” qualifies it as a WML. Weapon of Mass Light.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post