SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carnival Cruise Ships Collide in Mexico -- video
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carnival Cruise Ships Collide in Mexico -- video Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
Lots of Weight colliding here. I guess once these ships get moving in one direction, there's no way to stop. You just know the Captain on the boat on the left had about 30 seconds of "Oh, Crap, Oh Crap, Oh Crap" going through his mind before the impact. I mean, he had a bird's eye view from the Bridge, which was right there.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db7T720KJ3E

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Covered here as well at the Citizen Free Press with an additional video and close-up photo of one of the damaged ships.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oye, headed on a work trip aboard one of Carnival’s ships in a few weeks. Wonder what the odds are that one of those would be one that I’m supposed to be on?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Oye, headed on a work trip aboard one of Carnival’s ships in a few weeks. Wonder what the odds are that one of those would be one that I’m supposed to be on?

Easy to find out, look up your cruise on Carnivals website

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Guess that Captain got a "your fired" notice for Christmas

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oye, headed on a work trip aboard one of Carnival’s ships in a few weeks.

Wait, what kind of work do you do that brings you aboard a cruise ship? Or is it a celebration type of thing, like hitting some sales goal or something?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Where was the person who took the video located, on a third ship just as close to the other two?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
Where was the person who took the video located, on a third ship just as close to the other two?

Two of the ships were already docked, or at least the one that was hit was already alongside.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Wait, what kind of work do you do that brings you aboard a cruise ship? Or is it a celebration type of thing, like hitting some sales goal or something?

Kick off the new year/after this the year is non stop with work. Very small division within a large company, most of us work remote. It was actually cheaper to do a cruise than other options that were considered.

I’m one of the few that can actually say they love their job/company.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Kick off the new year/after this the year is non stop with work. Very small division within a large company, most of us work remote. It was actually cheaper to do a cruise than other options that were considered.

I’m one of the few that can actually say they love their job/company.

One of my customers has a very large company, and charters an entire cruise ship for his employees thank you party once a year, it works out well compared to other options.

Pfizer chartered a cruise ship a decade or so ago when my sister worked for them for a week, and did company meetings during the day or so each day with their salesmen/women. For very large companies, it can be hard to find hotels/venue/etc. for that many people.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^ Damn, I need to find a company like this. Didn't get crap for Christmas.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
HAZLEWOOD!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Three moving cruise ships in that close proximity of each other is a recipe for disaster. One of the ship's horns goes off AFTER the impact. The Glory's bow and the bow of the videographer's cruise ship are also extremely close at the end of the video. I assume this is in open sea outside Cozumel? WTF is wrong with these three captains that their ships are so close to each other?

The guy on the unknown cruise ship at about the 1:15 mark: "Don't ride on Carnival".

Gotta also wonder the name of that third cruise ship.

Posts: 9050 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Three moving cruise ships in that close proximity of each other is a recipe for disaster. One of the ship's horns goes off AFTER the impact. The Glory's bow and the bow of the videographer's cruise ship are also extremely close at the end of the video. I assume this is in open sea outside Cozumel? WTF is wrong with these three captains that their ships are so close to each other?

The guy on the unknown cruise ship at about the 1:15 mark: "Don't ride on Carnival".

Gotta also wonder the name of that third cruise ship.

The ship that caused the allision was attempting to dock. The other ships were already alongside. The ship that sustained damage to her stern was the one maneuvering to the dock.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Having been on cruise ships I can’t but help wonder if having a crew from a collection of 3rd world countries is a factor. You get what you pay for.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
Don't worry, that'll buff right out, just a ding.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I see your “Buff Right Out” and raise you by a “That’s gonna Leave a Mark”

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
I used to work at the LS&I ore dock. Watching an 800+ foot laker approach the dock and maneuver for loading was fascinating. And no collisions seen, even with multiple boats out in the harbor coming and going.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That happens in mall parking lots every day, just doesn't usually result in millions of dollars in damage!

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
The sigforum maritime accident investigation team will figure this all out Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post