SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carnival Cruise Ships Collide in Mexico -- video
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carnival Cruise Ships Collide in Mexico -- video Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Damn...Carnival on Carnival crime.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And friends ask me why I won't book a cruise on any of these monstrous abominations. If some disease doesn't get you, the fools operating the ship will.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like the ship to the left was tied up at the dock. Look down near the waterline at the bow and you can see the concrete pier.

Posts: 9795 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Looks like the ship to the left was tied up at the dock. Look down near the waterline at the bow and you can see the concrete pier.

I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

The ship that caused the allision was attempting to dock. The other ships were already alongside. The ship that sustained damage to her stern was the one maneuvering to the dock.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I understand. Is this something that is easily avoidable or just poor maneuvering?

I would be interested in your perspective/opinion.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I was just on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel a month ago. I don't recall the water there being choppy. But they did make an announcement that it does get choppy there and to expect to feel it on the boat more than when farther out at sea. They all dock at the same place in that port and kind of close together.

Posts: 3684 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of people blaming Carnival. I know that each port has a pilot take control of ships when bringing into port. Do the cruise ship captains take over for docking? If not this isn’t on Carnival it’s on the pilot, no? But I don’t know all the details on how that works.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A little Marine-Tex and she'll be good as new.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see a lot of people blaming Carnival. I know that each port has a pilot take control of ships when bringing into port. Do the cruise ship captains take over for docking? If not this isn’t on Car I am it’s on the pilot. But I don’t know all the details on how that works

^^^^
I am hoping Alan will add some insight to this discussion. I think he has made it clear WHAT happened, but we do not know why.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I see a lot of people blaming Carnival. I know that each port has a pilot take control of ships when bringing into port. Do the cruise ship captains take over for docking? If not this isn’t on Car I am it’s on the pilot. But I don’t know all the details on how that works.

This.

A ship with that much size, you gotta deal with the wind pushing you around, especially at such low speeds.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I see a lot of people blaming Carnival. I know that each port has a pilot take control of ships when bringing into port. Do the cruise ship captains take over for docking? If not this isn’t on Car I am it’s on the pilot. But I don’t know all the details on how that works

^^^^
I am hoping Alan will add some insight to this discussion. I think he has made it clear WHAT happened, but we do not know why.

There would most certainly be a docking pilot on the bridge. Regardless, the Captain will always maintain complete responsibility for his ship.

I would have to say that this accident, as most of this nature are, can likely be chalked up to poor seamanship. Having said that, even the best boat handler can find himself in a situation that ultimately becomes unavoidable. An unexpected strong wind, a passing vessel going too fast too close, a weaker than anticipated assist tugboat, mechanical failure...but who knows? Whatever the case, that was pretty bad.

By the way, ship Captains are notoriously shitty boat handlers. The key word there being "ship."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30891 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks Alan.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Gotta like this CEO --- Everything is fine, this is no big deal, it happens now and again, nobody was badly hurt, and everyone can continue with their vacation. And both ships are going to continue on, back to sea. Wow.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqyVT9TGwiI

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11089 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Lady I work with is scheduled on the newly ventilated ship Monday after Christmas. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12668 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Damn...Carnival on Carnival crime.

Wild Carney on Carney action!

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Having been on cruise ships I can’t but help wonder if having a crew from a collection of 3rd world countries is a factor. You get what you pay for.

Most of those people are involved with the upkeep of the ship and hotel duties, not driving the ship. Regardless, when a ship enters or leaves port there's an experienced harbor pilot on the bridge giving recommendations to the Captain who is normally fairly qualified to drive regardless of their origin of birth.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It's surprising they don't have lookouts/spotters on the bow and stern with radios. Of course by the time the spotter realizes things are about to go south, I'm sure it's too late to do anything about it...that blasted physics rears it's ugly head.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

There would most certainly be a docking pilot on the bridge. Regardless, the Captain will always maintain complete responsibility for his ship.

Thanks for that clarification. I've been reading the same thing this morning. I saw a documentary once on Royal Caribbean that implied the pilot takes over as captain. That was not accurate information.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
The wife and I were on the Carnival Glory 2 years ago with a stop in Cozumel. The water was calm and there were other larger ships in port already. No problems getting in or out. The Glory did need some updating though.

Posts: 386 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Gotta like this CEO --- Everything is fine, this is no big deal, it happens now and again, nobody was badly hurt, and everyone can continue with their vacation. And both ships are going to continue on, back to sea. Wow.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqyVT9TGwiI

Fuck that guy and fuck their entire company. He also said "Our top priorities are safety, environmental protection, and compliance." Me thinks not.... Stop dumping your trash in my ocean Carnival!!!!!

=======================

Carnival slapped with a $20 million fine after it was caught dumping trash into the ocean, again

Carnival Corp. will pay $20 million after Princess Cruises, a Carnival subsidiary, admitted to violating the terms of its probation from a 2017 conviction for improper waste disposal.

A court filing submitted on Monday said Carnival released food waste and plastic into the ocean, failed to accurately record waste disposals, created false training records, and secretly examined ships to fix environmental-compliance issues before third-party inspections without reporting its findings to the inspectors.

Read more: Cruise-ship workers reveal how much money they really make

Monday's settlement requires Carnival to pay $20 million within seven days, receive additional ship inspections, devote more resources to ensure compliance with its probation, reduce the number of single-use plastic items on its ships, and establish teams to improve waste management. If Carnival does not meet deadlines to revamp its compliance process, it will have to pay additional penalties of $1 million to $10 million a day.

"Carnival Corporation remains committed to environmental excellence and protecting the environment in which we live, work, and travel," a Carnival representative said. "Our aspiration is to leave the places we touch even better than when we first arrived."

In 2017, Princess Cruises pleaded guilty to illegally releasing oil into the ocean and deliberately hiding the practice, and it was ordered to pay $40 million. Carnival has since been on a five-year probation, during which it must allow a third-party inspector to examine its ships.

According to a report from an environmental-compliance inspector, Carnival violated environmental laws in the first year of the probation. The inspector found over 800 violations of its probation between April 2017 and April 2018, though they were accidental and disclosed by Carnival, the Miami Herald reported.

"These issues were unacceptable failures in our processes that were not in accordance with our policies and procedures, and do not reflect the culture we have built at Carnival Corporation and across our nine cruise line brands," a Carnival representative told Business Insider in April. "We have been taking steps to address the improvement areas mentioned in the report, and to build on the positive progress noted by the court-appointed monitor to make sure we are in full compliance moving forward."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post