SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Common Firearms Related Dreams
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common Firearms Related Dreams Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The only one I’ve ever had was where the trigger pull was like 100 miles long. I went to pull the trigger and it just kept going back…back..back

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I have this one a lot. Glad I'm not alone or crazy like I thought Razz

I have had some pretty epic firefights in my dreams too though, so not always the "1000 lb trigger".

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the 1000 pound trigger dream and one where whatever I’m shooting just soaks up the rounds like they were nothing.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Have had a mixed bag over my lifetime so far. Usually the gun fires but has no effect on the baddie. Sometimes they drop and I assume die, but there's no blood or gore.

One time I was levitating down a flight of stairs (very cool dream mode) and when I got to the bottom some rando shot me in the face and blew half my head off then everything went black.

Good news is it didn't hurt.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Back when I was still in the service I had dreams like those. The most common were not being able to find or chamber the right ammo. Frantically searching for proper ammo and seeing the enemy closing in and not being able to shoot back.

1000%

Don’t have it so much in the last decade; but up to late 40s at least a few times a month.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Occasionally I dream that I'm in Africa, on the dream safari of a lifetime, having a splendid time dressed like Stewart Granger in "King Solomon's Mines", and...almost always I'm trampled or gored by an animal that I've failed to stop. Last thoughts are always "maybe I needed a larger caliber".

Posts: 3225 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've had the dream where I couldn't find my pistol in a shootout, but their bullets ricochet off me and hit each shooter in the head.

Then I finish the rest of them off with an antiproton smasher.

Happened several times in different fields of battle.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
You fellas are weird.
Sure hope I don't start having of those dreams you mention!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I cant explain dreams but have experience to share. When I was quite young, I hunted in areas where I rode horses and snow mobiles. For big game, in this area rifles were not allowed. However, all the area was owned by neighboring land owners and occasionally, someone tagged a deer taken by rifle to fill their tag. One morning, light out, I walked across 6 or 700 yard field to get into the forest. At the edge of the field was a low barb wire fence and then light trees before you head into dark, large pines. Standing right in front of me, other side of the fence is a small, near complete albino deer. It looked right at me and I shouldered my .30 30 and levered 4 live rounds out onto the ground before it turned and scooted off. No recoil, no report and no fired rounds. To this day, decades later, I cant be convinced I wasn't shooting that rifle. How weird is that?

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think the 1000 lb trigger thing, like other dreams where you are trying to do something physical (like fist fight, or just move/run) in your dream and is related to a feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I've never had any dreams about a firearm not functioning as expected. I have vapor locked once or twice after short stroking the reset on a P series pistol though. It was very disconcerting.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Very common for both military and LE.

According to a training class I took years back, YOUR version is the most common version.

Another variation is that everything functions but the end result is ineffective.

I have had it (the latter variation) a few times myself. It used to happen a few times a year.

FWIW, since I was in an actual incident a few years ago, I haven't had it since.

But it is a common thing to have. Some say associated with PTSD, although I find it may be the opposite.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I had it too early in my career. I think the dream was my brain trying to sort out wether I should kill someone or not..I dunno, I’m not a head shrinker.

After an OIS, I never had that dream again.

I only read the OP, and then this. Me too. Interesting.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I had it too early in my career. I think the dream was my brain trying to sort out wether I should kill someone or not..I dunno, I’m not a head shrinker.

After an OIS, I never had that dream again.

I only read the OP, and then this. Me too. Interesting.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OIS

Edit: Oh. Eleventh one down the list. Never mind.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive had that same dream where I can't pull the trigger no matter how hard I try. Interesting to see I'm not the only one having that particular dream

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night I dreamt that a guy was trying to steal my catalytic converter. That’s just pathetic.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
Lets see. I've had dreams with"

- 1000 lb trigger
- ammo dropping out of the magazine well
- trouble loading or finding the right ammo

and a few others. I just chalked it up to them being stress dreams.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I think it relates to how you feel about potentially killing another human being. Unless you are a stone cold sociopoath you have feelings.

I disagree with that. Completely.

Because one human being kills another in a justified homicide, a lack of “feelings” does not make him or her a “stone cold sociopath”. It makes him or her a survivor. Why does happiness that I survived and a lack of guilt that he didn’t make me a “stone cold sociopath”?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I get the version where shit is about to get real, so I go to my safe and begin to load up but all my ammo isnt in the right place/isn't loaded into mags/can't get the safe to open. I have a weapon, I have *some ammo, but I'm just frantic about getting the rest of it together before it's too late.

Not LEO, military or ever fired a gun at anything other than a target...

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
I used to have a similar dream but in mine the gun would fire but was completely ineffective.

I've had these. Like they're blanks or something. Had one very vivid dream were I got hemmed in by a road rager and had to shoot and they took a dozen rounds or more like it was nothing, and just kept coming. Other times, like Jester814, some rather insane and protracted gunfights. Always very graphic, very realistic.

Had one dream twice over a ten year period. It wasn't the common ones listed, but it was every bit as disturbing. I was in the place I was living at one time, and there was a wolf outside. The only thing I had in the apartment was a shotgun and no ammo, and I just kept watching this wolf through the peephole in the one dream, it growling and scratching at the door. The other time I was back in the home I grew up in, and the wolf was outside, but circling the house and looking at me through the glass doors, snarling at me and trying to find a way in. Also a shotgun with no ammo in that one.

I took those to mean that there was something lacking in my home defense preparedness and started keeping loaded long guns handy. Had the dream start a third time, but I vaguely remember chasing after it and killing it. No more wolf dreams.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post