SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Common Firearms Related Dreams
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common Firearms Related Dreams Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Yet another explanation according to lucid dreaming tutorials, which identify signs one can recognize to realize one is dreaming and try to take control of the dream:

Technology usually doesn't work in dreams. It's why light switches won't turn on, you can't correctly dial that phone number or type that text, etc. Firearms fall under this category.

Unrelated, another way it's recommended to recognize that you're dreaming is that print in all forms (books, signs, etc.) is either illegible or keeps changing.

I've had numerous lucid dreams, all of them only lasting a brief span from the moment I realized I was dreaming and took control, to when I woke up.

Posts: 1278 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can't ever remember have a dream with a gun in it.

But, to be honest, I don't remember many of my dreams.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Mine are way different... waaaaaay different

I've had a recurring dream that I see a good deal on an unfired Smith k-frame pinned and recessed Revolver (which I collect) on a table at a gun show, and someone else bought it before I could work my way around the aisle to that table.

To each his own I guess. Wink

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started having this dream shortly after I joined the local PD, just back from the Service and 21 years old. I'd be in some sort of confrontation with a guy, he'd produce a revolver and I'd draw mine (I always had a 2" J-Frame, even years after most everyone, including me started carrying an auto of some kind).

I always had a lot of time to think it out, whether it was legal and necessary to shoot and he always made up my mind by pointing his gun at me. I'd pull the trigger and it would not budge. Not a 1000 lbs, just broke.

I'd try to figger out what was wrong, how to fix it but he still shot at me. I always woke up before I knew if he got me or not.

But no harm, no foul. I'd wake up, find I'd kicked off the covers and was cold, grab the blanket and go back to sleep.

Then my dream changed a few years ago and long after I was retired old guy.

I'd be somewhere trying to talk to a witness or something LE related, when some jerk would start a fight with me. Various endings to those dreams until, in one dream:

There I was, fighting and wrestling with this guy on the ground on a gravel drive by a fairly deep ditch. I was getting the best of him when some other jerk leaped on my back. All I could think of was to roll to my right to try to dump him off into the ditch. I rolled hard....

Next thing I knew, I hit the bottom of the ditch-except it was the wooden floor by my bed. I'd rolled off and smacked myself up pretty good on the floor.

I looked up and there was my wife and my dog peering over the side of the bed at me lying on the floor.

I'd rather have the gun dream-at least there was no pain in them.

Bob

Posts: 1678 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Civilian, police volunteer, on the road for nearly 20 years. Dreams infrequent, but those remembered were of ineffective bullets. Can "see" one dream right now, back home, Knoxville TN, across the street from John Williams house, in the yard of the dark red brick two-story with lots of evergreen trees. [I played football in John's yard, back in 1973-1976; this was a childhood friend.] Bullets did nothing. Can't remember how long ago the dream occurred. Many years ago, though.

I more often have stress dreams dealing with travel that is made impossible by not having suitcase, the right clothes, awareness of schedule, gates, cities.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Don't remember exactly, but it's usually the gun won't work or I don't have any or enough ammo.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MY gun dreams have always had successful outcomes as to ending in my favor. But I have, since childhood, had the ability to alter a dream into the direction I would favor - whether it be a good dream or a potentially bad dream. (Ah, to be that successful in life!) It is almost as if I were writing a novel and had the use of suggestions, but ultimately had editorial control. Does anybody else experience any control of their dreams?? (My wife says I have a control issue and my ego is where the control comes from. Roll Eyes)

Posts: 1664 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
31 year LEO here. I had numerous ineffective gun dreams, pepper spray that wouldn't come out of the cannister and similar earlier in my career. Still have dreams involving work scenarios but not like those anymore.

Posts: 377 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I always called it "The Million Pound Trigger Pull Dream." Had it for years and thought I was the only one. Turns out it is the single most common nightmare for police officers. It very likely stems from an uncertainty as to how we will be able to perform in such a situation (just like the dreams most of us had in school where we got in a fight felt like we were trying to punch in water). I can tell you this, I had a very bad night at work once after which I never had that dream ever again. I don't recommend my method of curing it, but it is effective.

My replacement nightmare is an incredibly realistic police shooting scenario where the suspect's gun disappears afterwards. Usually my dreams are pretty clearly dreams. Not that one. That sumbitch gets all the details right and stays on point until I wake up. <shudder>

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do have an odd recurring gun dream, had it last night. Keep in mind I retired from the prison system in '07, and haven't been back, and that guns inside the fence are strictly prohibited. I found myself in a supervisor's meeting inside openly wearing a 1911, and trying very hard to conceal it so I could get back out without being seen. Very odd, and I have had variations on it since the early 80's.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back when I was still in the service I had dreams like those. The most common were not being able to find or chamber the right ammo. Frantically searching for proper ammo and seeing the enemy closing in and not being able to shoot back.

Wow! that is the EXACT dream that I've been having for 20 years. It's comforting to know that I am not the only one.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe the "punching water/weak punch" and the "heavy/difficult trigger" are related to one sleeping on one's arm, having it bound in the covers or otherwise restrained?

I have had both of the above, but have also had similar dreams where I was effective in both physical fight and gunfight situations.

Although more aware of the "failure" dreams, likely because failure is more distressing than prevailing, and recollection is greater.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
These kinds of dreams are very common for LEOs, soldiers, and other gun toters.

Col. Dave Grossman talks about it in his books and classes about combat psychology.

He postulates that it's your subconscious telling you that you're not confident in your shooting abilities, and is a sign that you need to get out and train more to build confidence in your skills.

Yep, this is correct. Grossman is a great resource and highly recommended, especially his "Bulletproof Mind" seminar.

I had both of these dreams routinely for years and they've only recently slowed down. The frozen trigger was the most common, and present in almost every dream where I needed to shoot. I'd even pull the trigger with 2 fingers, but to no avail. Very common dream for LE, as many of my co-workers have had the same dream, too.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
Yet another explanation according to lucid dreaming tutorials, which identify signs one can recognize to realize one is dreaming and try to take control of the dream:

Technology usually doesn't work in dreams. It's why light switches won't turn on, you can't correctly dial that phone number or type that text, etc. Firearms fall under this category.

Unrelated, another way it's recommended to recognize that you're dreaming is that print in all forms (books, signs, etc.) is either illegible or keeps changing.

I've had numerous lucid dreams, all of them only lasting a brief span from the moment I realized I was dreaming and took control, to when I woke up.

All seems to be true for me. I’ve learned some decades ago that you can take control of dreams, change outcomes in order to not wake up dying, if you’re aware you’re dreaming.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As soon as I turned 18 I bought a Sig P220. Shortly thereafter I had dreams where I had to use it in self defense and the guy would either malfunction, misfire or any shots I was able to make didn't stop the threat.

Being that it was my first gun I wanted to make sure that it was "perfect." I spent hours researching the effectiveness of the caliber, the reliability of the P220 (remember the 10k round test?), single stack vs. double stack, etc. So despite all that research my psyche clearly had issues and projected it into my dreams.

I was told that the best way to get rid of those dreams was to practice more. I did and haven't had any since.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Some say associated with PTSD, although I find it may be the opposite.

Interesting. I completely agree, it may just be a subconscious manifestation of performance anxiety. It makes perfect sense.

Something else I thought of was the dream sequence in 'The Sopranos' where Tony is creeping up on his old high school coach with a High Standard .22. He pulls the trigger and nothing happens except the mag ejects and loses several rounds on the floor. Tony is desperately trying to reinsert them and they just smear like so much axle grease in his fingers. That one always struck me as a little familiar, especially the part about the bullets. But I never remembered the dream.

Posts: 7409 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post